Congrats Chicago Cubs

knightni

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 3, 2016 -> 12:52 PM)
How does that even work? If you don't want bandwagon fans do you just not want your teams to win?

I said I was being lame.

I just feel like the essence of being a Blackhawks fan used to be about being obsessed about hockey. It felt like a club. Now it's just a bunch of fat white hillbillies in too-tight Chinese knockoff jerseys. The population reminds me of that of Trump's supporter base.

Again, I'm being lame and my opinion is nowhere near the truth, but that's just how I perceive it. I just can't get into it anymore.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 3, 2016 -> 11:51 AM)
I said I was being lame.

I just feel like the essence of being a Blackhawks fan used to be about being obsessed about hockey. It felt like a club. Now it's just a bunch of fat white hillbillies in too-tight Chinese knockoff jerseys. The population reminds me of that of Trump's supporter base.

Again, I'm being lame and my opinion is nowhere near the truth, but that's just how I perceive it. I just can't get into it anymore.

Are you exaggerating about not following the team anymore though?

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Nov 3, 2016 -> 12:47 PM)
One thing I thought about is, we've seen our crosstown rival win one World Series in our lifetimes. How do you think New York Mets fans feel? A Met fan in their 20s or 30s has seen the Yankees win five championships, including one over the Mets.

Oakland A's fans have seen the Giants win three out of the past five World Series while they have to hear talk about their team possibly relocating.

At least Mets fans and A's fans understood why they were second fiddle to their rivals. They were/are actually good.

As Sox fans, we've been second best for years to a team that didn't do anything in over a century. There has basically no reason for the Cubs to be as popular as they have been over the past 20 years. If any other team in any other sport had the record they had they'd be the laughing stock of the league and rightfully so. Yet Cubs fans can't understand why we have been so bitter over the years.

Being continually forgotten because of a team that gets more recognition for losing than winning is not fun.

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Nov 3, 2016 -> 02:06 PM)
At least Mets fans and A's fans understood why they were second fiddle to their rivals. They were/are actually good.

As Sox fans, we've been second best for years to a team that didn't do anything in over a century. There has basically no reason for the Cubs to be as popular as they have been over the past 20 years. If any other team in any other sport had the record they had they'd be the laughing stock of the league and rightfully so. Yet Cubs fans can't understand why we have been so bitter over the years.

Being continually forgotten because of a team that gets more recognition for losing than winning is not fun.

Well, now we're in the other boat, we're the 2nd best team and we'll be that way for a long, long time.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 3, 2016 -> 01:51 PM)
I said I was being lame.

While you may have an exaggerated opinion, there IMO, is a lot of truth in it. I was not a huge hockey guy, I went to a couple games a season, watched some on TV, but knew several Hawks freaks. I think they probably had one of the smartest, most knowledgeable hockey fan bases before they won, and probably have more "fans" now that couldn't name 6 players on the team than any in the NHL. And LOL at the Chinese knockoff jersey comment. It's spot on.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Nov 3, 2016 -> 03:11 PM)
You guys see the Budweiser Harry Caray commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nApTGkLd2hs

Still making money for the Cubs 35 years after JR fired him.

JR didn't fire him. Harry left on his own. He said because he didn't want to be on pay TV, but many speculate it was because Jimmy Piersall was out. Jimmy Piersall the guy who called players' wives horny broads, so he got canned. I liked Jimmy, but he got what was coming to him. I also enjoyed Harry, but he was a big phony as well.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 3, 2016 -> 03:18 PM)
JR didn't fire him. Harry left on his own. He said because he didn't want to be on pay TV, but many speculate it was because Jimmy Piersall was out. Jimmy Piersall the guy who called players' wives horny broads, so he got canned. I liked Jimmy, but he got what was coming to him. I also enjoyed Harry, but he was a big phony as well.

How is Harry a phony? I am curious.

Very simple.

11-1 vs. 11-6.

Although they can argue back the historical nature of the comeback and one of the best and most memorable Game 7's in the last thirty or forty years.

Adjusted for tv sets available compared to 2005 or 1995, some of the highest tv ratings as well...that eclipsed the NFL regular season again for the first time in a long while.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 3, 2016 -> 06:27 PM)
He made it seem he was a man of the people. It couldn't be farther from the truth. He was known not to treat people very well

Never heard this. Always heard stories about how great he was at his restaurant and with people.

I really don't understand the hate Sox fans are throwing out there at all. I don't understand - if you're a true fan of the GAME of baseball - how you could watch last night and not have adrenaline pumping through you, and not revel in the BEAUTY of how perfectly scripted it was. I wrote this on facebook today:

As a life-long, die-hard Chicago White Sox fan, for me to tell you that a game between the CUBS and INDIANS will go down as one of my very favorite sports memories of all time? THAT tells you just how magical last night's game was.

I had no horse in the race. I'd have been happy today either way. When that Rajai Davis homer left the park, my hand was over my mouth in shock and awe and pain and joy, because I knew in that moment this game was something I'd never, ever forget:

The game the Cubs would break the 108 year curse in the grandest, most BASEBALL-ish fashion imaginable. And to me, that's perfect.

Ross's home run in the last game of his career? Kluber and Chapman getting shelled? Davis' home run to tie it up? The divine intervention of the rain delay? Heyward's speech? That bottom of the 10th? The roller coaster ride, the ups and downs... It was a thing of beauty.

If you're still pissy after watching that, you're no true baseball fan. The end.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 3, 2016 -> 12:02 PM)
Oh my goodness. Nobody here has had a problem with the 8 billion bandwagon blackhawks fans that have emerged since 2010. gmab.

Are you OK with Hawks fans like me? Went to a ton of games when I was a kid and when I lived in Chicago. But only watch the playoffs now and watched all the playoff games every year we won it. Am I OK or repulsive bandwagoner?

As to the thread title. Congratulations Cubs. I truly believe you had the best team. You showed some mettle getting it done after falling down 3-1. You have a great manager, but he's not invincible either. He'd have been attacked everywhere had the Cubs lost that game after the bunt and the use of Chapman the last 2 nights.

In conclusion ... congratulations, Cubs and true Cub fans. You won fair and square and now you have the best thing imaginable, a parade and the best offseason of your lives. Nothing better than being champs during the bitterly cold winter months.

Edited by greg775

Im just so tired of hearing about it at this point. Ive accepted that theyve won, its over. Theyve won the city for good. But Im so tired of everything being Cubs, Cubs, cubs. Every channel, every article. All the small talk at work for the past 2 months, having to grit your teeth as you hear about how this was the greatest world series in the history of the world. It will never end. And all next season we will still have to hear about it Every. Freaking. Day. Just let us Sox fans be in peace. Stop the torment.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Nov 3, 2016 -> 02:06 PM)

It didn't have to be that way. JR's biggest blunder was not building the new stadium in a very accessible and fan friendly location. He's always been about the bottom line above all else and that explains why he has failed to transform the franchise into something better. He's just not capable of seeing the bigger picture when it comes to spending on the team.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (Green Line @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 03:25 AM)
Im just so tired of hearing about it at this point. Ive accepted that theyve won, its over. Theyve won the city for good. But Im so tired of everything being Cubs, Cubs, cubs. Every channel, every article. All the small talk at work for the past 2 months, having to grit your teeth as you hear about how this was the greatest world series in the history of the world. It will never end. And all next season we will still have to hear about it Every. Freaking. Day. Just let us Sox fans be in peace. Stop the torment.

Yes. But the Sox can stop all the Cubs talk all the time. By winning. We got a lot of attention in 2005. It was nirvana.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Nov 3, 2016 -> 11:03 PM)
It didn't have to be that way. JR's biggest blunder was not building the new stadium in a very accessible and fan friendly location. He's always been about the bottom line above all else and that explains why he has failed to transform the franchise into something better. He's just not capable of seeing the bigger picture when it comes to spending on the team.

Fan friendly location??? The current location is very fan friendly. Easy access to the dan ryan and cheap parking. What's not to like?

I find it very laughable that within the first 24hrs of their teams World Series victory, that I'm seeing a lot of cub fans online craving validation of their team from Sox fans. With all the hyperbole I've been hearing...I'm guessing the MLB will just cancel the next three or four seasons and just give the Cubs the hardware.

I don't remember Sox fans whining "why don't you love us??" after we won 2005......and God knows we could have.....

I tried to tell one friend to not worry about us Sox fans and just enjoy her team's victory because you never know what can happen next year....injuries....trades...slumps...down years. It looks good that (at the very least) Cubs will make playoffs again if not more but it's not guaranteed and people lost their s*** over that comment.

Considering how big of a fan base they have and the upward direction of their team, their mental fragility of some fans surprise me. I guess when you spent the last century holding on the the 'Loveable loser' moniker, suddenly being without it must be hard....lol

So....hopefully we don't have to wait too long for free agency to come along for some of these players and they can (might) move on........

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Nov 4, 2016 -> 12:11 AM)
funniest s*** ever! a girl talks s*** to me about not being a bandwagon fan.... doesn't even know about chapman's history... instant sadness from her

After the Cubs came back to take Chapman off the hook, I said to my friend that no one in Chicago is happier than Chapman's girlfriend....he didn't get the joke

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Nov 3, 2016 -> 11:03 PM)

It is quite possibly in the most accessible location possible.

Congratulated 4 friends today - former roommate who still can't believe it, a friend who we mutually agreed to root against the other's team but to be happy for them, my best friend's mom who cried into her mother's handkerchief at the final out and a teammate who I hugged at practice, he teared up because he honestly hadn't expected it from me and it meant the world to him.