Are we just frustrated?

Bmr31

Or is this bunch of players as mentally weak as we think?  I have my own opinion and my answer is yes, as im sure youve noticed all season.  Still, it seems very odd that ONE baseball team can have so many mental midgets? :huh:

Thoughts? :huh:

They have shown a lake of killer instinct all year. Also, a lack fire in their collective guts when things are going bad. When things were going good, they all jumped on the bandwagon and rode it out. But, no one could step up and get that key hit against the likes of Detroit and Tampa Bay. This, I feel, is a direct reflection on JM. I've supported him all year, but, he had to take them deep into the playoffs for me not to call for his firing in the off season. He hasn't and he should be replaced.

Or is this bunch of players as mentally weak as we think?  I have my own opinion and my answer is yes, as im sure youve noticed all season.  Still, it seems very odd that ONE baseball team can have so many mental midgets? :huh:

They have shown a lake of killer instinct all year. Also, a lack fire in their collective guts when things are going bad. When things were going good, they all jumped on the bandwagon and rode it out. But, no one could step up and get that key hit against the likes of Detroit and Tampa Bay. This, I feel, is a direct reflection on JM. I've supported him all year, but, he had to take them deep into the playoffs for me not to call for his firing in the off season. He hasn't and he should be replaced.

Agreed. SO my question is, are they mentally weak? IS it mostly JMs fault? If so do we really need to re tool a large part of this roster? Those arent easy questions to answer......

Or is this bunch of players as mentally weak as we think?  I have my own opinion and my answer is yes, as im sure youve noticed all season.  Still, it seems very odd that ONE baseball team can have so many mental midgets?   :huh:

Thoughts?   :huh:

Agreed. SO my question is, are they mentally weak? IS it mostly JMs fault? If so do we really need to re tool a large part of this roster? Those arent easy questions to answer......

Yes. Yes. Yes.

I don't get how a group of guys with sooo much talent could be so bad when it counts?

They play a very selfish brand of baseball in which each player is just trying to hit home runs. It makes it very difficult to get hits when your swinging for the fences. Thats why we have seen a ridiculous amount of pop outs in the last few weeks IMHO.

I have said for 3 years now, that the Sox will be better off post-Frank Thomas. I know what Frank's contributions have been and he even exceeded my expectations this year, but I truly believe the Sox will be better off without him. It may take two years but I truly believe that.

I am not bashing Frank per so, (althought I have done that in the past) but just think that he by default is a leader of this team and I think that leadership or "corporate culture" needs to be changed for the Sox to move to the next level.

Perhaps I am singling out FT unfairly because he is surely not at fault for this team by himself. In some ways, some might say he is not at fault at all. I just think that this team needs an overhaul in the way they go about their business. In my mind, at this point, I believe it means a change in the manager and a Frank-less team. Frank may go on and be successful elsewhere, but as is the case with Seattle, they got better after their big guns left. I think the same could happen on the Southside.

I have said for 3 years now, that the Sox will be better off post-Frank Thomas.  I know what Frank's contributions have been and he even exceeded my expectations this year, but I truly believe the Sox will be better off without him.  It may take two years but I truly believe that.

I am not bashing Frank per so, (althought I have done that in the past) but just think that he by default is a leader of this team and I think that leadership or "corporate culture" needs to be changed for the Sox to move to the next level.

Perhaps I am singling out FT unfairly because he is surely not at fault for this team by himself.  In some ways, some might say he is not at fault at all.  I just think that this team needs an overhaul in the way they go about their business.  In my mind, at this point, I believe it means a change in the manager and a Frank-less team.  Frank may go on and be successful elsewhere, but as is the case with Seattle, they got better after their big guns left.  I think the same could happen on the Southside.

I think the White Sox are between a Rock and a hard place (sorry for the metaphor) with Frank Thomas on the team. Because he is who he is they are forced to hit him in the three hole. Sure you can argue that is the proper place to hit him but you can also argue against it.

Also because of his past times with the Sox we also know he isnt a great leader but EVERYONE looks to him for leadership that he just doesnt bring to the table.

A Frankless sox team is an interesting idea and by no means devalues Frank's 13 year career here...it just might be the thing that needs to be done to jump start a lackluster team!

I think I'm just frustrated with seeing homerball b/c at this point for the right price I've already had Frank Leaving, Magglio traded, Konerko traded...lol

Interesting points on Mr. Thomas, but I for one hope he stays. I think what he brings to the team in experience and talent are tremendous pluses and I also believe he has tried to show leadership this year more than in the past. Maybe he realizes that in the twilght yeasr of his career he needs to exert that veteran label and motivate the others on the team. I only hope that Frank can see the sense in returning to his past selective hitting style. He can still hit 40 plus homers and drive in over a hundred runs, etc, but a higher batting average and more walks can also be achieved with patience. I think even he admitted in Boston that Walt Hriniak wantd to see more hits instead of swinging for the fences all the time. Like leadership hitting is situational and there are times for the homer and times for the single. Other players on the Sox could learn that too.

Guest hotsoxchick1
I have said for 3 years now, that the Sox will be better off post-Frank Thomas.  I know what Frank's contributions have been and he even exceeded my expectations this year, but I truly believe the Sox will be better off without him.  It may take two years but I truly believe that.

Perhaps I am singling out FT unfairly because he is surely not at fault for this team by himself.  In some ways, some might say he is not at fault at all.  I just think that this team needs an overhaul in the way they go about their business.  In my mind, at this point, I believe it means a change in the manager and a Frank-less team.  Frank may go on and be successful elsewhere, but as is the case with Seattle, they got better after their big guns left.  I think the same could happen on the Southside.

oh rex..dont hold back tell us what you really feel about FT..... im sure roman could learn a lesson from it..... ;) i agree with the last few sentences of your post..... im sure we can get better without a few of the big guns here......hell its easier to teach better new habbits to rookies, than it is to break the old bad habbits of the superstars..... ;) maybe we would actually get someone who can lay down a bunt once in a while instead of swingin for the fences all the time and poppin up........

Guest hotsoxchick1
Right there is a big key IMO. Yes, this team is built with Talent, but there are roles that are not filled. Alot of guys on the team dont know how to play small ball, as we have all have seen during the season. BUT, you also said instead of swining for the fences, and poping up all the time. I beleive that is a direct blow to the manager. JM had no disipline over this team. It seems like he lacks the knowledge on how to move runners over, or how to execute the sqeeze, things of that nature. He needs to go.

exactly.....what we needed to have this year is a more diverse team... a ballanced mix of sluggers and small ball hitters... maybe we would have went a bit further than what we did this season......... ;) mho

Right there is a big key IMO. Yes, this team is built with Talent, but there are roles that are not filled. Alot of guys on the team dont know how to play small ball, as we have all have seen during the season. BUT, you also said instead of swining for the fences, and poping up all the time. I beleive that is a direct blow to the manager. JM had no disipline over this team. It seems like he lacks the knowledge on how to move runners over, or how to execute the sqeeze, things of that nature. He needs to go.

Wait a minute. Now all of a sudden you agree with us? Maybe an apology is in order?

when did i disagree Bmr?

I remember several posts saying you disgaree with what i was saying and that you hated my posts. Now all of a sudden, after proven to be right, youre saying the same things that i said for the last two months? :huh: :bang

there is alot of stuff i disagree with what you say, but HSC made a good post, and i agreed with it. Are and her like the same person?? Why is it "We" when SHE makes the post....?

Because me and her were like 2 of the few people who had the "balls" to criticize this team the entire season, for the things that you are JUST noticing now. Her and I took a lot of heat, ALL season long, for what turned out to be reality.

I think it's because of Manuel.

Any manager that comes into a critical three game series against the team whom which you are tied for the division and thinks "it's not a must win series" obviously doesn't have their head on straight.

We've seen games where this team just seems lethargic and don't seem to give a damn who wins, and the only time they're hot is because they're feeding off of eachother's energy. Not Manuel's.

You can say all you want about our team being a bunch of veterans, and how they are supposed to motivate themselves. However in the dying days of the season the manager must preach and expect success, especially when his team is contending for a division title.

This team needs a manager that wants to win all 162 games, this team needs a manager that has intensity for 9 innings. We're lucky if we see intensity from Manuel for 9 seconds.

Now I do think that there are a couple of players on this team that are indeed mentally weak. Seems to me most lack confidence, which also helps bring down the performance of others around them.

CWSOX45

Guest hotsoxchick1
Because me and her were like 2 of the few people who had the "balls" to criticize this team the entire season, for the things that you are JUST noticing now.    Her and I took a lot of heat, ALL season long, for what turned out to be reality.

i can critisize the team because they do the same ol s*** year after year.... when i see an actual change in their philosophy as how to run things then ill be less critical......

I disagree with alot of you have to, quite often actaully, but I know for a fact if you have ever cirtized JM I havent said anything. And you say "me and her saw what you guys see now" thats fine if you did, but I DIDNT always see it through the season. So i dont think an apology is nessacary.

Eh i dont need an apology. Maybe next time you will not be so easily ready to disagree with what i have to say just because you are in denial. ;)

Guest hotsoxchick1
Let's hope that happends when Backman arrives.

CWSOX45

well it had better happen soon or were in for another season like this one and the ones past..... same ol s*** different year.......

See, this is why I have said I hate your posts. Im not, and wasnt in "denial." But when the team when on its 8 game win streak, beat the Yanks 2 out of 3 in New York, Swept Minny here, and so on, I had alot of faith in the team. You on the other hand, whould make posts about the holes in the team. When Corpseball showed up again, you look like your a genius because you said you knew it all along.

I dont even know why im having this convo, because we basically all agree the team lacks disipline, and has holes to fill. Period.

okay so im NOT a genius for knowing all long, LMAO.......... :rolleyes:

See, this is why I have said I hate your posts. Im not, and wasnt in "denial." But when the team when on its 8 game win streak, beat the Yanks 2 out of 3 in New York, Swept Minny here, and so on, I had alot of faith in the team. You on the other hand, whould make posts about the holes in the team. When Corpseball showed up again, you look like your a genius because you said you knew it all along.

I dont even know why im having this convo, because we basically all agree the team lacks disipline, and has holes to fill. Period.

You take the easy way out. If you were right, as it turns out you are, you throw 'I told you so's' all over the place. If you were wrong, than we're all happy and no one cares what you said.

You take the easy way out. If you were right, as it turns out you are, you throw 'I told you so's' all over the place. If you were wrong, than we're all happy and no one cares what you said.

Im dont hide either way. This wasnt an I told ya so response. I just thought it was amazing this Tony guy was saying the EXACT same things now , that i was saying 2 months ago, and I would get bashed for it over and over. ITs just comical.

Im dont hide either way. This wasnt an I told ya so response. I just thought it was amazing this Tony guy was saying the EXACT same things now , that i was saying 2 months ago, and I would get bashed for it over and over. ITs just comical.

He has simply changed his mind. Who cares if you thought that first, or he disagreed with your opinions months ago?