President-Elect Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 10:20 AM)
1) It really isn't that different. The Texas law caused 30/40 of the clinics in the state to close. A similar Alabama law almost knocked down the total number of clinics down to 3. And these were just the "testing the waters" laws. Once they know they can get some restrictions through, they'll pass more until every clinic is regulated to the point where it's impossible to open.

2) Right, but that doesn't relate to what I said. The importance of getting the Religious Right hasn't ended just because Trump personally isn't a member. It's extremely easy to draw that YUGE block of people on gays and abortion alone.

3) Dude, they applauded for gay people not being murdered by terrorists. That's a far cry from supporting gay marriage, opposing horrific "conversion therapy", and opposing anti-gay discrimination.

They also rehashed the inevitable 'If you're gay and lived in some other countries you'd be stoned to death' or 'why would you want immigrants coming into this country who hate and oppose gay rights?' to justify their stance on putting a stop to the 'liberal agenda'. In my opinion, the evangelicals rocked this election as a major pushback on the ruling of same-sex marriage. It goes to show that anyone can become president in this country, even if you're an ill-informed racist, misogynist, someone who bragged about sexual assault, someone who has been divorced.. just as long as they represent your party platforms.

Anyone can become president in this country.. except gays. That will never happen.

Edited by SouthSidePride05

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shysocks @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 10:49 AM)
The utter lack of action on climate change will be the greatest consequence of last night.

Climate change is worse than the eventual loss of healthcare by millions? Anyone that has a preexisting condition - private insurance or ACA, will be refused coverage.

QUOTE (SouthSidePride05 @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 04:50 PM)
Anyone can become president in this country.. except gays. That will never happen.

In 2008, Obama had real political principles and policies. But he thrived because he was able to move a lot of people emotionally with "Hope and Change".

In 2016, Trump had no real political principles, and barely cared about policy at all. But he was an absolute beast at grabbing hold of people emotionally and stoking their passions (for better and worse).

Charisma/salesmanship is the name of the game now. I think policy nerds are gonna be fighting for VP slots.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 09:20 AM)
1) It really isn't that different. The Texas law caused 30/40 of the clinics in the state to close. A similar Alabama law almost knocked down the total number of clinics down to 3. And these were just the "testing the waters" laws. Once they know they can get some restrictions through, they'll pass more until every clinic is regulated to the point where it's impossible to open.

2) Right, but that doesn't relate to what I said. The importance of getting the Religious Right hasn't ended just because Trump personally isn't a member. It's extremely easy to draw that YUGE block of people on gays and abortion alone.

3) Dude, they applauded for gay people not being murdered by terrorists. That's a far cry from supporting gay marriage, opposing horrific "conversion therapy", and opposing anti-gay discrimination.

1) So there would still be 10 clinics where abortions could be performed legally. Which is different from zero if Roe v. Wade is overturned. It's not happening without an extreme reversal from numerous SC opinions.

2) I guess I don't see the importance here then. Any republican candidate, even one who is basically a moderate (like Trump, 3 years ago a Democrat!), would get those votes. He didn't stress those stances at all and he still got those same people to vote for him. It doesn't seem, btw, like those two issues were controlling at all in how people voted. That's actually where Dems failed, keying in on social issues that the voters didn't really care about or at least didn't care about over other issues, like jobs, trade and not liking Hillary.

3) No, his quote was i will do everything to protect LGBT rights and the audience applauded and then he pointed out that they applauded. http://www.thewrap.com/donald-trump-embrac...nal-convention/

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 10:55 AM)
Climate change is worse than the eventual loss of healthcare by millions? Anyone that has a preexisting condition - private insurance or ACA, will be refused coverage.

I think we can agree that both are pretty terrible, no? ACA with a greater short term impact. Climate change with a greater long term impact. Both bad for a lot of people.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 09:35 AM)
LOL love republicans. Get the government out of regulating everything! Except abortions and gays, let's make sure to regulate the hell out of them. That's cool with us.

These are quite literally the areas that I lost touch with the GOP at.

Jenks,

Personally I think its too early to tell what Trump is going to be about. He has been all over the place on a lot of different issues in the last 50 years. Trump would say/do anything to win. So is there a part of me that believes a guy from NY who has been married 3 times, etc, isnt going to be the poster boy for the religious right, of course.

And that is ultimately my biggest concern. Trump is an unknown quantity, he could be great, he could be terrible, he could be in the middle. But does anyone really know what is going on in his mind? His entire life has so far been dedicated to making Trump great. Now he has to put on an entirely different hat.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 10:06 AM)
In 2008, Obama had real political principles and policies. But he thrived because he was able to move a lot of people emotionally with "Hope and Change".

In 2016, Trump had no real political principles, and barely cared about policy at all. But he was an absolute beast at grabbing hold of people emotionally and stoking their passions (for better and worse).

Charisma/salesmanship is the name of the game now. I think policy nerds are gonna be fighting for VP slots.

This is a really good point.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 10:16 AM)
Jenks,

Personally I think its too early to tell what Trump is going to be about. He has been all over the place on a lot of different issues in the last 50 years. Trump would say/do anything to win. So is there a part of me that believes a guy from NY who has been married 3 times, etc, isnt going to be the poster boy for the religious right, of course.

And that is ultimately my biggest concern. Trump is an unknown quantity, he could be great, he could be terrible, he could be in the middle. But does anyone really know what is going on in his mind? His entire life has so far been dedicated to making Trump great. Now he has to put on an entirely different hat.

Totally agree.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 04:08 PM)
1) So there would still be 10 clinics where abortions could be performed legally. Which is different from zero if Roe v. Wade is overturned. It's not happening without an extreme reversal from numerous SC opinions.

Yes, there's be 10. Until they passed another TRAP law that reduced it to 5. Then 0. If the first TRAP law passed the courts, why wouldn't they keep going? Again, 3 (would have been 4 if Scalia were alive at the time) were okay with these laws despite their only purpose being to move towards ending abortion.

2) I guess I don't see the importance here then. Any republican candidate, even one who is basically a moderate (like Trump, 3 years ago a Democrat!), would get those votes. He didn't stress those stances at all

If Trump had said he was pro-choice or gave a list of judges that weren't anti-SSM/anti-abortion, he would not have picked up those voters. Many people have been citing SCOTUS picks as the reason for picking Trump.

3) No, his quote was i will do everything to protect LGBT rights and the audience applauded and then he pointed out that they applauded. http://www.thewrap.com/donald-trump-embrac...nal-convention/

He said he would protect "LGBTQ citizens", not "LGBTQ rights", and the quote was in the context of the Pulse night club shooting.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 10:16 AM)
Jenks,

Well said. This entire campaign was an ego trip. He doesn't care about MAGA or any of that bulls***, he just wanted to become President for his own arrogance. Now that he actually won, who knows how seriously he will take it, if he will try to do it himself, or let his "CEOs" make all the decisions.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 10:35 AM)
?

Maintaining marriage equality was one of the things she repeated said was important in a SCOTUS justice, along with upholding Roe v Wade and getting rid of Citizens United.

http://regated.com/2016/10/hillary-clinton-gay-marriage/

One of her many lies.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 10:31 AM)
Well said. This entire campaign was an ego trip. He doesn't care about MAGA or any of that bulls***, he just wanted to become President for his own arrogance. Now that he actually won, who knows how seriously he will take it, if he will try to do it himself, or let his "CEOs" make all the decisions.

I think initially, it would have been someone else, but his ego is doing nothing but growing. At least someone told him what a Gold Star family was.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 09:59 AM)
Jake ArrietaVerified account ‏@JArrieta34 35m35 minutes ago

Time for Hollywood to pony up and head for the border #illhelpyoupack #beatit

I'm sure that'll rattle the fanbase a little bit.

Honestly, if there's one positive I see in defeat it's the hilarious reaction from Hollywood celebrities who have bombarded everyone with their political thoughts. Just the arrogance of these people to threaten leaving the country if Hillary lost, probably thinking to themselves "well, all these polls show Clinton ahead so I probably won't have to keep my word."

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 10:38 AM)
I'm sure that'll rattle the fanbase a little bit.

Honestly, if there's one positive I see in defeat it's the hilarious reaction from Hollywood celebrities who have bombarded everyone with their political thoughts. Just the arrogance of these people to threaten leaving the country if Hillary lost, probably thinking to themselves "well, all these polls show Clinton ahead so I probably won't have to keep my word."

My wife told me she was moving if Hillary lost. Do I have to go with her?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 11:31 AM)

Christie's role is going to be interesting going forward. I have to imagine he's been gunning for AG since he endorsed Trump. And Christie said on the campaign trail that he would start enforcing the federal laws on marijuana in states that have legalized it. Despite the gains by the Republicans yesterday, marijuana laws passed - I think in every state in which they were on the ballot. So the question is: Does Trump appoint Christie as AG? And if so, does he allow Christie to enforce federal laws on marijuana, even in states where legalized?

I know that enforcement of the federal laws there would be pretty catastrophic for Colorado's economy...