President-Elect Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife texted her dad this morning with "I can't believe she lost". Little did she know he changed his cell number once again as he does every so often. Some random Trump supporter got the text and began harrassing my wife all morning. Even said he would kill her. She was shaking and crying before going to work before sharing this with me.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 10:49 AM)
My wife texted her dad this morning with "I can't believe she lost". Little did she know he changed his cell number once again as he does every so often. Some random Trump supporter got the text and began harrassing my wife all morning. Even said he would kill her. She was shaking and crying before going to work before sharing this with me.

Jeez, thanks for that, Dad

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 05:47 PM)
This was one of many problems the entire campaign. The extreme right and the Donald would simply spout lies and the deplorables would eat it up.

If you ever feel like being sad, go to the Facebook page of any local news station and read the comments.

It's basically people pasting memes back and forth, largely filled with conspiracy theories and weird nonsense they found on the internet. Most insane one I saw yesterday was a wikileak email where a woman was inviting various Dems to a pool party and said her nieces and nephew would be there. This was interpreted as a child prostitution ring.

It's nice that most people here on Soxtalk, regardless of political persuasion, are reasonable.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 10:06 AM)
In 2008, Obama had real political principles and policies. But he thrived because he was able to move a lot of people emotionally with "Hope and Change".

In 2016, Trump had no real political principles, and barely cared about policy at all. But he was an absolute beast at grabbing hold of people emotionally and stoking their passions (for better and worse).

Charisma/salesmanship is the name of the game now. I think policy nerds are gonna be fighting for VP slots.

Well see. Its really hard to come to any conclusions based on one election, especially as a lot of Clinton's problems were self inflicted. That being said, in many ways its not a great scenario for Trump. He is going to have the house/senate, so no one really to blame anymore.

Or maybe its just more of the same. Who knows, but I think we all know that in 2020 Yeezus has our vote.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 10:25 AM)
Yes, there's be 10. Until they passed another TRAP law that reduced it to 5. Then 0. If the first TRAP law passed the courts, why wouldn't they keep going? Again, 3 (would have been 4 if Scalia were alive at the time) were okay with these laws despite their only purpose being to move towards ending abortion.

Doing that would in effect be a reversal of Roe v. Wade. Again, I don't think that's going to happen. Even the conservative justices have recognized the right in their decisions in favor of limited restrictions.

If Trump had said he was pro-choice or gave a list of judges that weren't anti-SSM/anti-abortion, he would not have picked up those voters. Many people have been citing SCOTUS picks as the reason for picking Trump.

Disagree. I still think he gets turnout due to the anti-hillary, pro-trump views on trade/jobs.

He said he would protect "LGBTQ citizens", not "LGBTQ rights", and the quote was in the context of the Pulse night club shooting.

Eh, I think that was what he meant. Even still, you have the President elect from the Republican side pointing it out in a national speech and you have the RNC audience, which includes a lot of those religious fanatics, applauding it.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 10:56 AM)
If you ever feel like being sad, go to the Facebook page of any local news station and read the comments.

It's basically people pasting memes back and forth, largely filled with conspiracy theories and weird nonsense they found on the internet. Most insane one I saw yesterday was a wikileak email where a woman was inviting various Dems to a pool party and said her nieces and nephew would be there. This was interpreted as a child prostitution ring.

It's nice that most people here on Soxtalk, regardless of political persuasion, are reasonable.

My facebook has Michelle obama taking back the white house in four years.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 05:02 PM)
Doing that would in effect be a reversal of Roe v. Wade. Again, I don't think that's going to happen. Even the conservative justices have recognized the right in their decisions in favor of limited restrictions.

3 of them were okay with the Texas TRAP law. That was a major restriction.

And remember, Donald Trump doesn't know squat about the Constitution or the SCOTUS. His pick is going to be based on whatever sells best to the Republican base, and that's probably going to be someone who fully opposes Roe v Wade.

Disagree. I still think he gets turnout due to the anti-hillary, pro-trump views on trade/jobs.

I don't think you'd deny that there are a lot of single-issue ("double-issue"?) voters with abortion and gays. These people were cool with free trade up until now.

Eh, I think that was what he meant. Even still, you have the President elect from the Republican side pointing it out in a national speech and you have the RNC audience, which includes a lot of those religious fanatics, applauding it.

Not a chance in hell that's what he meant. At its core, it was a "I'll protect people from terrorists" statement, not a pro-gay-rights statement.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 11:14 AM)
3 of them were okay with the Texas TRAP law. That was a major restriction.

And remember, Donald Trump doesn't know squat about the Constitution or the SCOTUS. His pick is going to be based on whatever sells best to the Republican base, and that's probably going to be someone who fully opposes Roe v Wade.

I don't think you'd deny that there are a lot of single-issue ("double-issue"?) voters with abortion and gays. These people were cool with free trade up until now.

Not a chance in hell that's what he meant. At its core, it was a "I'll protect people from terrorists" statement, not a pro-gay-rights statement.

Restriction =/= ban which was my original point.

Yes, some people no doubt voted because Clinton is obviously pro-SSM/choice and Trump may appoint SC's that are not. I think we can deduce from the exit polls that the vast majority did not and those issues were secondary (at best).

Why would he pause and thank the audience if he didn't, on some level, take a position that was far left of the stereotypical conservative? That makes no sense.

Some crazy s*** unfolding on Facebook today...I rarely post on Facebook, I rarely read it, to be honest with you. I don't get too riled up about politics generally either. But seeing the few people I actually considered friends trying to justify their support for this man...I must say I'm conflicted as to whether to remain friends with them or not.

The frightening thing is my best friend in the world voted for this fool, and I am struggling to understand how that could be.

I am genuinely a bit "shook," as J4L would say.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 09:35 AM)
Some crazy s*** unfolding on Facebook today...I rarely post on Facebook, I rarely read it, to be honest with you. I don't get too riled up about politics generally either. But seeing the few people I actually considered friends trying to justify their support for this man...I must say I'm conflicted as to whether to remain friends with them or not.

The frightening thing is my best friend in the world voted for this fool, and I am struggling to understand how that could be.

I am genuinely a bit "shook," as J4L would say.

I deactivated facebook a few weeks ago but it was becoming apparent that a few old friends of mine were going to vote for him. I no longer speak to them. It's obvious we have nothing in common anymore.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 06:30 PM)
Restriction =/= ban which was my original point.

Yes, some people no doubt voted because Clinton is obviously pro-SSM/choice and Trump may appoint SC's that are not. I think we can deduce from the exit polls that the vast majority did not and those issues were secondary (at best).

Why would he pause and thank the audience if he didn't, on some level, take a position that was far left of the stereotypical conservative? That makes no sense.

- But adding enough restrictions effectively becomes a ban. That's the whole idea.

- I'd agree it wasn't the primary issue. My original point was that these issues are still very significant, and the Religious Right still very powerful.

- Speaking about gay people in any light that isn't horribly negative IS far left of the stereotypical conservative. I don't think Donald Trump personally has a major issue with gay people, but he also doesn't care enough to stop the anti-gay GOP platform from moving forward.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 11:38 AM)
I deactivated facebook a few weeks ago but it was becoming apparent that a few old friends of mine were going to vote for him. I no longer speak to them. It's obvious we have nothing in common anymore.

Ah yes, unity and partnership and compromise and all that. The great liberal talking point until someone else wins that doesn't think like me.

I'm not happy at all that Trump won and i'm quite confident we're in for an...interesting...4 years. But the liberal jump of the cliff response to this has been enjoyable.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 09:44 AM)
Ah yes, unity and partnership and compromise and all that. The great liberal talking point until someone else wins that doesn't think like me.

I'm not happy at all that Trump won and i'm quite confident we're in for an...interesting...4 years. But the liberal jump of the cliff response to this has been enjoyable.

Again, let's not compare a disagreement on healthcare with inciting hatred and intolerance. These are not similar types of "differences."

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 09:44 AM)

I'm not happy at all that Drumpf won and i'm quite confident we're in for an...interesting...4 years. But the liberal jump of the cliff response to this has been enjoyable.

These are people who've said racist s***. I don't want to be associated with racists and bigots. Feel free to cling to them in your own personal life.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 11:27 AM)
Jill Biden

‏@JillBidenVeep

The kid who made fun of you, called you fat, embarrassed you, made lewd comments to girls, told you to learn English is our new President

This doesn't help anything.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 06:44 PM)

I think it more concerns people that don't think at all.

He's probably not talking about people with different political views (if he wanted to avoid them, he wouldn't be here), but the people whose entire presence on your Facebook feed has become limited to posts about Hillary worshiping Satan and why liberals are traitors.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 11:39 AM)
- But adding enough restrictions effectively becomes a ban. That's the whole idea.

- I'd agree it wasn't the primary issue. My original point was that these issues are still very significant, and the Religious Right still very powerful.

- Speaking about gay people in any light that isn't horribly negative IS far left of the stereotypical conservative. I don't think Donald Trump personally has a major issue with gay people, but he also doesn't care enough to stop the anti-gay GOP platform from moving forward.

But you're ignoring that even conservative justices have agreed that there IS a right to abortions per Roe v. Wade, it's the amount of restrictions that are in question. If you have restrictions that don't allow for any abortions at all, that's a ban and I don't think even the conservative justices would agree to it. Yes, you may see more restrictions, more hurdles, but I don't see how the conservative justices that have already ruled on some of these cases could overturn their prior votes/decisions against a total ban. It's akin to liberals trying to get rid of guns. You'll see more restrictions (and would have with a liberal court), you're not going to see an outright ban or so many restrictions that it amounts to a ban.

On the gay point, he now is the platform. He's the next President. Like with every politician, 99% of what he says and promises on his way to getting elected won't be followed after he is sworn in. The dude was a Democrat 3 years ago. He's not a bible thumper.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 11:46 AM)
Again, let's not compare a disagreement on healthcare with inciting hatred and intolerance. These are not similar types of "differences."

Inciting violence and hatred sure, totally agree. Having disagreements about tough decisions when it comes to something like immigration I don't. You guys tend to view things very black and white and b**** when the "other guys" don't agree with you 100%. There's no right answer on a lot of that stuff. There are tough decisions that may not be fair to some people. Doesn't mean those people are awful human beings that you shouldn't associate with.

edit: and in some instances it's not even about that, it's where do you prioritize this stuff. If you're a poor white person in rural penn or mich you probably put the rights of gays or immigrants lower on your list than jobs or the economy. That doesn't make you an awful person that hates a certain subgroup.

The numbers back this up. These were the two least liked candidates in history. Obviously most people didn't WANT to vote for them, they had to.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero