President-Elect Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The suicide rate will definitely climb if we have to watch Florence Foster Jenkins and Mama Mia 24 hours per day.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mcconnell-dems-g...--election.html

Whatever McConnell thinks should go...let's all grow up and not do anything to obstruct the GOPers who are suddenly on a mission to change the world in their own image.

Edited by caulfield12

Kellyanne Conway's quick hits:

- “She sounds like 2014. The election is over. She lost."

Ok, yup, you won. So now take all of the criticism that comes with the most powerful position in the world.

- "Why can't you give him the benefit of the doubt, the way the benefit of the doubt was given to CNN’s polling, all of its analysts, everybody in the word saying. That is not what he did and he has said that a thousand times, as he tweeted out today, he has said a hundred times. You always want to go by what’s come out of his mouth rather than look at what’s in his heart."

Well, there's footage of him doing it. And no, he can try to be more tactful considering he's going to be the goddamn President.

- “I didn’t hear her even use her platform last night to give a shout out to the mentally challenged boy who last week was tortured live on Facebook for half an hour by four young African-American adults who were screaming racial and anti-Trump expletives and forcing him to put his head in toilet water."

Ah, I'm glad "BOTH SIDES!!!" exists now with f***ing Hollywood actresses.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 5, 2017 -> 09:35 PM)
You would think that 2% who's going to actually be paying HIGHER taxes would be a bit upset that almost all of the benefits of the new tax policies are flowing upwards to the Top 1%, and, more specifically, the Top 10% of that 1%.

These 2-3%ers are SUPPOSEDLY the JOB CREATORS/FAMILY FARMERS/SMALL BUSINESS OWNERS AS WELL, are they not?

Or these are "merely" white collar professionals who mostly work FOR someone else? So they can safely be overlooked by Trump, because the majority of them aren't likely to vote Democrat regardless?

Being one of those special 2-3%ers, I work for a corporation. In Chicagoland, the $145k I made last year is usually going to be your white collar worker, not a small business owner. That said, what they take from my bonus will come back to me a little less. I'm happy to contribute but I sure as s*** wish the f***s above me we're contributing more, too.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 11:26 AM)
Being one of those special 2-3%ers, I work for a corporation. In Chicagoland, the $145k I made last year is usually going to be your white collar worker, not a small business owner. That said, what they take from my bonus will come back to me a little less. I'm happy to contribute but I sure as s*** wish the f***s above me we're contributing more, too.

The people above you have advantages of being able to work the tax system that you may never have. To me, thats an issue.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/08/chart-shows...affect-you.html

I still don't understand how many people could get on board with this tax plan. It does practically nothing for the masses, and that includes anyone outside of the top 1%. There are so few groups who get any real benefit and to me, as I've argued many times, I think there should be a differentiation on those making 500K+ per year (and even more so when you get into the millions). It only makes sense for the very elite to help the support...they'll argue they already do, and I agree, they pay plenty in taxes, but the effective rates at those levels is nowhere near the effective rate of people making low to mid 6 figures (I have no fact to back this up, but can only assume this to be true and can't possibly believe it isn't, as I presume so much more of the income on those mega earners is from capital gains / businesses which can help tax treatment).

I'm not saying we should tax them more, but I certainly don't agree with drastically reducing their taxes and do not believe that it will just create massive jobs. Just means more wealth will be hoarded to me.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 10:09 AM)
The people above you have advantages of being able to work the tax system that you may never have. To me, thats an issue.

The fact that I pay a much higher effective tax rate then someone who makes millions of dollars just doesn't feel right to me. Yes, they may pay more in an absolute basis, but as a percent of income, they pay a lot less, which to me means taxes have a far less effect on them then others. Trumps plan totally screws the upper middle class brackets and doesn't do much for the lower income brackets (and to some extent, hard to do much for brackets that have pretty low effective to almost nill tax rates).

I didn't like Hillary's plan cause I felt it raised the already high taxes on upper mid class too much (mainly because what is upper mid by national levels may not equate to that by geographic locations). I might be rich if I lived in a small city in Iowa, but not where I live, far from it, so to be taxed like it, just doesn't feel right. That said, I do support a fair effective tax rate for the wealthy (because I feel that under the current system, they get a pretty sizable break). I'm not one who says that we should just tax the rich, I just feel in the current system, the ultra wealthy get ridiculously favorable tax treatment vs. the general masses.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 02:19 PM)
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/08/chart-shows...affect-you.html

I still don't understand how many people could get on board with this tax plan. It does practically nothing for the masses, and that includes anyone outside of the top 1%. There are so few groups who get any real benefit and to me, as I've argued many times, I think there should be a differentiation on those making 500K+ per year (and even more so when you get into the millions). It only makes sense for the very elite to help the support...they'll argue they already do, and I agree, they pay plenty in taxes, but the effective rates at those levels is nowhere near the effective rate of people making low to mid 6 figures (I have no fact to back this up, but can only assume this to be true and can't possibly believe it isn't, as I presume so much more of the income on those mega earners is from capital gains / businesses which can help tax treatment).

I'm not saying we should tax them more, but I certainly don't agree with drastically reducing their taxes and do not believe that it will just create massive jobs. Just means more wealth will be hoarded to me.

One thing that hasn't been pointed out here yet is that their plan to substantially expand the standard deduction will mean that very few homeowners at the middle class level will be deducting the interest on their mortgages, so the mortgage interest deduction for middleclass taxpayers will basically evaporate as that is passed (it'll remain for those who have large enough incomes and deduction amounts to still itemize). That's going to produce a response in the housing market as well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 03:14 PM)
One thing that hasn't been pointed out here yet is that their plan to substantially expand the standard deduction will mean that very few homeowners at the middle class level will be deducting the interest on their mortgages, so the mortgage interest deduction for middleclass taxpayers will basically evaporate as that is passed (it'll remain for those who have large enough incomes and deduction amounts to still itemize). That's going to produce a response in the housing market as well.

The housing market is in for a real s*** show. Its not only going to be harder to buy a house, but those that own it are going to have less tax benefits.

Things are about to get real s***ty.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 05:18 PM)
The housing market is in for a real s*** show. Its not only going to be harder to buy a house, but those that own it are going to have less tax benefits.

Things are about to get real s***ty.

I think the adjustment will be far less than in 2008, but then again I am also working under the assumption that Dodd/Frank reduced some of the leveraged bets on housing and outright blatant fraud that blew up the financial industry, which I can't verify.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 03:21 PM)
I think the adjustment will be far less than in 2008, but then again I am also working under the assumption that Dodd/Frank reduced some of the leveraged bets on housing and outright blatant fraud that blew up the financial industry, which I can't verify.

Well, many of the guys that perpetrated that fraud are now in prominent positions in our government. So that cant be a good sign.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 06:35 PM)
Well, many of the guys that perpetrated that fraud are now in prominent positions in our government. So that cant be a good sign.

Well they're not there yet and it took years of non-enforcement to build up enough fraud to lead to the last implosion, so you've got several years to worry about that.