President-Elect Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rep. Chaffetz threatening to subpoena the ethics watchdog for daring to criticize Dear Leader.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/jaso...og-trump-233575

If you remember, chaffetz was the one who routinely leaked information about EMAILS and has even said recently that he still wants to investigate EMAILS. But calling out Trump for his blatant conflicts of interest is unacceptable.

Edited by StrangeSox

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/12/opinions/int...dley/index.html

Ex-spy who wrote intel memos is a pro

FAKE NEWS ALERT

16. Chaffetz has investigated security breaches by the U.S. Secret Service such as White House intruders. In retaliation, the agency leaked that he applied for and did not receive a job with them in 2003. “It’s a little bit scary. The Secret Service diving into my background as a sitting member of Congress?” Chaffetz told CNN on Thursday. “It’s not about me, but it is about: What are they doing over there? These people are trusted with guns by the president for goodness’ sake.”

He was a placekicker for BYU, is Mormon, controls his Twitter feed 100% personally, sleeps in a cot in his office quite freqently and enjoys Modern Family.

GREAT GUY!

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 08:54 PM)
Rep. Chaffetz threatening to subpoena the ethics watchdog for daring to criticize Dear Leader.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/jaso...og-trump-233575

If you remember, chaffetz was the one who routinely leaked information about EMAILS and has even said recently that he still wants to investigate EMAILS. But calling out Trump for his blatant conflicts of interest is unacceptable.

Glad to see some GOP members truly don't care about the nation over their party

Ok, so first quasiillegal thing published today, someone leaked this to David Ignatius of the Washington Post. Remember how on December 29 the Obama administration announced additional sanctions against Russia and the next day Putin said he'd wait to decide what to do in response until after Trump was inaugurated?

Retired Lt. Gen. Michael T. Flynn, Trump’s choice for national security adviser, cultivates close Russian contacts. He has appeared on Russia Today and received a speaking fee from the cable network, which was described in last week’s unclassified intelligence briefing on Russian hacking as “the Kremlin’s principal international propaganda outlet.”

According to a senior U.S. government official, Flynn phoned Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak several times on Dec. 29, the day the Obama administration announced the expulsion of 35 Russian officials as well as other measures in retaliation for the hacking. What did Flynn say, and did it undercut the U.S. sanctions? The Logan Act (though never enforced) bars U.S. citizens from correspondence intending to influence a foreign government about “disputes” with the United States. Was its spirit violated? The Trump campaign didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

So that explains fully why the Russians had no response. Also worth noting on this - how would the U.S. government know who was calling the Russian ambassador? The only way we would legally know that is through one of those wiretap/metadata collection programs, which means that someone in the government leaked knowledge of that tap to the Washington Post, which means some parts of the government are still not ok with being subservient to Russia.

Second item of the day...this one less treasonous and instead this is intriguing on an international relations perspective. During Tillerson's Secretary of State confirmation hearings he explicitly called out China for constructing military installations on artificial islands they've been constructing in the South China Sea.

"This is a threat to the entire global economy if China is allowed to somehow dictate the terms of passage through these waters," Tillerson told the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

Under Obama, the U.S. has worked with China to fight climate change and contain Iran’s nuclear program. But Beijing has only half-heartedly pressed North Korea over its nuclear weapons program and has willfully disregarded Washington's appeals to moderate its activities in the South China Sea.

Asked if he supported a more aggressive U.S. posture, he said, "You're going to have to send China a clear signal that first the island building stops, and second your access to those islands is also not going to be allowed."

The Chinese had a less than thrilled reaction to these remarks:

“Tillerson’s statements regarding the islands in the South China Sea are far from professional,” the Chinese Communist Party–linked Global Times declared in an editorial on Friday. “If Trump’s diplomatic team shapes future Sino-U.S. ties as it is doing now, the two sides had better prepare for a military clash.”

The state-backed China Daily described Tillerson’s remarks as “a mishmash of naivety, shortsightedness, worn-out prejudices, and unrealistic political fantasies. Should he act on them in the real world, it would be disastrous [and] set a course for devastating confrontation between China and the U.S.”

I cannot say that the decision to take a more hawkish line on the Chinese in this area is obviously the wrong one. Tillerson compared it to Russia's takeover of Crimea in his testimony (irony noted moving on) and he's generally right that this sort of militarization is a definite reshaping of international relations that the Obama admin ranked as a lower priority than Korea as long as other issues in that area weren't affected by those constructions. It certainly seems like that philosophy will change next week.

QUOTE (KagakuOtoko @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 12:20 PM)
So what percentage would you people put on Trump starting WW3?

Rephrase the question.

Do you mean that its entirely Trump's fault or that WW3 occurs on his watch.

Cause I think it is almost 0 that Trump "starts WW3."

He is a blowhard, not a bully. There is a big difference.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 02:29 PM)
Rephrase the question.

The f***?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 12:29 PM)
Rephrase the question.

I should have said on his watch.

I personally don't think the people around him let it happen.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 12:29 PM)
The f***?

Trump lashes out and threatens, but he never actually does what he says. You can tell he is a complete coward.

Putin is a bully. If Putin and Trump go head to head, Trump is not going to stand up to him. If China goes head to head, he will back down.

I guess I could have been more clear. But I just dont consider threats that will never come true to be bullying, I could easily see how someone could though. I think Trump "tries" to a bully or is a bully, but generally he is just really ineffective (well except against the weakest of the weak) and I dont think that would cause WWIII.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 12:31 PM)
I have to assume he means a bully is someone that actually pounds weaklings into the ground...whereas Trump merely talks about it.

Yeah this is where I was going with the statement. But Im so desensitized to lawsuits that I dont really think threatening to "sue" everyone is akin to being a bully as a President.

When it comes to China/Russia etc he cant just go crying to his lawyer to file a lawsuit.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 12:38 PM)
Yeah this is where I was going with the statement. But Im so desensitized to lawsuits that I dont really think threatening to "sue" everyone is akin to being a bully as a President.

When it comes to China/Russia etc he cant just go crying to his lawyer to file a lawsuit.

...and I'm so desensitized to Trump...

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 12:57 PM)
Haha true, I just want to see our country break him. In the hopes that no one else tries this type of bulls*** again.

The problem with this is, it's like a snake biting it's own tail.

If we break Trump, we inevitably break ourselves...and to what end? Do you REALLY think the people will learn anything? I don't.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 01:04 PM)
The problem with this is, it's like a snake biting it's own tail.

If we break Trump, we inevitably break ourselves...and to what end? Do you REALLY think the people will learn anything? I don't.

Reminds me of one of my favorite Nietzsche quotes (its in my sig), but I have to hope people will learn. I have to hope that there are other people out there who may be willing to sacrifice a small amount for the better of everyone else.

Because without that hope, I may as well become Trump. Just use all of my advantages to take the most from everyone else, to gain the most for me.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 13, 2017 -> 01:12 PM)
Reminds me of one of my favorite Nietzsche quotes (its in my sig), but I have to hope people will learn. I have to hope that there are other people out there who may be willing to sacrifice a small amount for the better of everyone else.

Because without that hope, I may as well become Trump. Just use all of my advantages to take the most from everyone else, to gain the most for me.

Live like a Democrat long enough to become a Republican. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We're going to have 4 years of this stuff coming out about the President of the United States.

Former Miss Hungary Kata Sarka first made the claim in May 2016 during an episode of Kasza Taxi, a Hungarian interview show that resembles an Eastern European version of the popular “Carpool Karaoke” segment on the US’s Late Late Show With James Corden.

In between songs, Sarka offered up that during the 2013 Miss Universe pageant, held in Moscow, a man surrounded by bodyguards approached her.

“He grabbed my hand like this,” she told host Kasza Tibor. “He was standing in the middle of a group of bodyguards, he grabbed my hand, he pulled me towards himself, and he asked, ‘Who are you?’ He asked in English. Then, I was so surprised, I’ll tell you who it was in a moment, I was so surprised that I couldn’t say anything except ‘Hungary.’”

“’Hungary,’” Tibor repeated, laughing. “You’re so lame!”

“He gave me his business card with his private number, and he told me in which hotel, which room he was staying in, and that his name is Donald Trump,” Sarka continued.

“By the way, I still have the business card,” she said on Kasza Taxi, before moving on to the next song. Sarka later provided what she said was a picture of the card Trump handed her to Hungarian tabloid Blikk. “He’s not my type,” she said in the November interview.