President-Elect Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think i can recall seeing a candidate as unprepared as DeVos was yesterday. Not knowing the difference between proficiency and growth? Unaware of a federal law applying to the department she is nominated for? Refused to answer any questions directly, when she did provide answers, she wasnt answering what was asked. Good grief

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 09:19 AM)
I dont think i can recall seeing a candidate as unprepared as DeVos was yesterday. Not knowing the difference between proficiency and growth? Unaware of a federal law applying to the department she is nominated for? Refused to answer any questions directly, when she did provide answers, she wasnt answering what was asked. Good grief

Well, I learned something last night. I learned that Grizzly Bears only are present in 5 US States. So she taught me something, at least indirectly.

Thankfully no one here at this male-dominated message board now composed largely of people in their 20s-40s has any kids in public school, so she can do whatever she wants.

Can someone put the vouchers system in laymans terms for me? I have read that it has pretty much failed in every state it has been tried in, but I dont really understand the concept because every article i read skips right to "it failed and cost the state a lot of money"

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 08:43 AM)
Can someone put the vouchers system in laymans terms for me? I have read that it has pretty much failed in every state it has been tried in, but I dont really understand the concept because every article i read skips right to "it failed and cost the state a lot of money"

The idea is that rather than your tax dollars going straight to the local public school district, the funding "follows the student." So you'd get a voucher of say $5k/year to use on education per child, and you can 'spend' that at the regular public schools or a charter school or, if someone like DeVos gets her way or how they did things in Louisianna under Jindal, at private for-profit and/or religious schools.

Ultimately what it means is that we get to subsidize private education for the wealthy and private religious education via tax dollars that should instead be going to public schools, which leaves the public schools and those in them worse off in the end. Oh, and if DeVos has her way, you'll even be able to use these vouchers for entirely online K-12 charter schools. So, basically, really s***ty homeschooling will also steal funding from public schools.

We'll get worse public schools, which will mean even more de facto economic and racial segregation in education.

For higher education, I'd imagine that they're going to re-empower all of the awful scam for-profit colleges that took a big hit once Obama shut off the federal loan money firehouse because those "colleges" did nothing for their students but saddle them with massive amounts of non-dischargeable debt while posting big profits for themselves.

But this is the Republican policy people voted for and want, apparently.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 08:43 AM)

There are so many different opinions on what it actually means. Basically you get a publically funded "voucher" that you can spend at any school you choose to send your child. Its supposed to encourage free market competition between all schools, public and private. In many cases its been used as a vehicle to increase revenue for Christian schools though and it directly takes the taxpayer out of the loop on how schools are run financially. Many of the proponents think competition is good and also will drive down costs (salaries of teachers) for schooling.

At some point what you end up getting is kids traveling a long way for a decent education, and increased competition to get your kid into the good schools. You then get things like lotteries in which you are not even sure if both of your children will attend the same school (they do this in some places in Chicago).

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 09:03 AM)
yea that all sounds like rich people doing whatever the f*** they want with their money and f*** everyone else

Basically the people already sending their kids to the best private schools now get a portion of it subsidized from what used to go to the local public school.

You see strong support for charter schools among the African American community typically because, generally speaking, our public schools are failing their communities. The idea that our public education system especially in poorer areas needs to be revamped isn't a bad one, but introducing a profit motive and stripping money from public schools doesn't magically solve problems. Instead, it tends to invite an awful lot of grifters only interested in making a quick buck, or people like DeVos who are devoted to a very particular religious or ideological education and oppose modern secular liberal arts education.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 09:17 AM)
You see strong support for charter schools among the African American community typically because, generally speaking, our public schools are failing their communities. The idea that our public education system especially in poorer areas needs to be revamped isn't a bad one, but introducing a profit motive and stripping money from public schools doesn't magically solve problems. Instead, it tends to invite an awful lot of grifters only interested in making a quick buck, or people like DeVos who are devoted to a very particular religious or ideological education and oppose modern secular liberal arts education.

Eh. In michigan the Charter schools are extremely poor but continue to be in business because they are profitable. Standards arent nearly as important as making money.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of charter schools at all. I just thought it was worthwhile to point out that there is support of them from communities with legitimate concerns and not just grifters and ideological crusaders.

Sen. Kaine pressed DeVos on the standards or complete lack thereof for charter and private schools yesterday. She refused to say that non-public schools receiving public funding should be held to the same standards.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 09:41 AM)
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of charter schools at all. I just thought it was worthwhile to point out that there is support of them from communities with legitimate concerns and not just grifters and ideological crusaders.

Sen. Kaine pressed DeVos on the standards or complete lack thereof for charter and private schools yesterday. She refused to say that non-public schools receiving public funding should be held to the same standards.

You can see her philosophy in the Michigan school system. There are many Charter schools that are bottom of the barrel and they stay open because they are profitable. People in her home state hate her.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 10:11 AM)
The entire DeVos family made their money on the backs of fools (Amway).

Yep, and now they'll get a chance to turn our education system into Trump University.

Pretty cool that our incoming President defrauded thousands of desperate people with a sham real estate school with hard sell sales tactics to get people to max their credit cards and take out second mortgages.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 09:09 AM)
I wonder how the people who voted for him "because he's an outsider" are feeling now.

One down, 61 million to go!

http://www.vox.com/first-person/2017/1/18/...ump-vote-regret

John Dingell is a 90 year old master of twitter

John Dingell @JohnDingell

Trump's cabinet picks appear to be interested in their respective departments in the same way that kamikaze pilots are interested in planes.

10:47 AM - 18 Jan 2017

131 131 Retweets 208 208 likes

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 08:37 AM)
She is only the second craziest one in the family. Don't forget her brother!

Notorious Mercenary Erik Prince Is Advising Trump From the Shadows

Pair that with this:

"Being a great president has to do with a lot of things, but one of them is being a great cheerleader for the country," Trump said. "And we're going to show the people as we build up our military, we're going to display our military.

"That military may come marching down Pennsylvania Avenue. That military may be flying over New York City and Washington, D.C., for parades. I mean, we're going to be showing our military," he added.

his private security force working along side the Secret Service, and his adulation for strongman authoritarians around the globe, and we have some pretty f***ing ominous signs.

FBI, 5 other agencies probe possible covert Kremlin aid to Trump

The informal, inter-agency working group began to explore possible Russian interference last spring, long before the FBI received information from a former British spy hired to develop politically damaging and unverified research about Trump, according to the sources, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the inquiry.

Trump has yet to say whether FBI Director James Comey will be retained. The rest of Trump's newly appointed intelligence and law enforcement chiefs will inherit the investigation, whose outcome could create national and international fallout.

The BBC reported that the FBI had obtained a warrant on Oct. 15 from the highly secretive Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court allowing investigators access to bank records and other documents about potential payments and money transfers related to Russia. One of McClatchy's sources confirmed the report.

Susan Hennessey, a former attorney for the National Security Agency who is now a fellow at the Brookings Institution, said she had no knowledge that a Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act warrant had been issued. However, she stressed that such warrants are issued only if investigators can demonstrate "probable cause" that a crime has been committed and the information in Steele's dossier couldn't have met that test.

"If, in fact, law enforcement has obtained a FISA warrant, that is an indication that additional evidence exists outside of the dossier," she said.

The BBC has also reported that the dossier compiled by the ex-MI6 agent is not the only source of the allegations.