President-Elect Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 01:58 PM)
They are called "politicians." And there are still 538 of them in Washington that will be making the laws. If they really wanted to "Drain the Swamp," people like McCain wouldn't be reelected. Not because he's a bad representative, but because he is a lifetime politician. That didn't happen.

If you really want to drain the swamp the people of this country have to start a movement demanding term limits in the US House and Senate.

QUOTE (The Mighty Mite @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 12:23 PM)
If you really want to drain the swamp the people of this country have to start a movement demanding term limits in the US House and Senate.

There is evidence at the state level that this simply does not work like you'd want it to.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 02:07 PM)
People who should be concerned:

African Americans

Undocumented people and their children

Poor people

Muslim Americans

LGBTQ community

Palestinians

Am I missing anyone?

White people that are married to any minority group

Jewish people

Handicapped

People with long term medical conditions

Anyone that votes non-Republican

QUOTE (The Mighty Mite @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 02:23 PM)

The problem is that the party who was supposed to keep big govt in check just overwhelmingly supported a candidate who appears pretty authoritarian. There wont be any draining of the swamp, this is just more status quo. The people in Congress (on both sides) get elected back in because all of their supporters just blame "the other guy." Even if they start off with good intentions, they usually get lost in the struggle to "keep power", which is why "gerrymandering" never gets addressed, as both sides want to use it to their benefit. Its also why the electoral college and many other "status quo" rules will likely always remain.

The only reason Trump is an "outsider" is because over time he found a way to basically alienate both parties. Somehow that became a good thing. I really dont know what is going to happen next. I used to think that I had an idea, I really believed the Republicans/conservatives I knew who for the most part believed that "real" Republicans would turn their back on him. But now I guess we have to ask ourselves, what is a "real" Republican. Are we watching the Republican party shift, or is there some sort of core "small" government voice in the Republican party who will say no to Trump.

The only "good" thing for Democrats is that when you have the house/senate/President, it often leads to infighting.

But who knows.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 12:37 PM)
He's trying to start an abortion debate.

Ah. That whole farce? It's funny how many conservative women I've known over the years who have had abortions, including relatives, classmates, and neighbors. It's fine for them to have one but poor people can't. The hypocrisy is astounding.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 02:37 PM)
He's trying to start an abortion debate.

It's not a debate. It's murder and needs to end. Folks making themselves feel comfortable with murder by calling it women's health and the word abortion is abominable.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 02:35 PM)
White people that are married to any minority group

Jewish people

Handicapped

People with long term medical conditions

Anyone that votes non-Republican

Jews are good. Ivanka is a converted Jew as her husband, Jared Kushner, was raised as an orthodox Jew.

QUOTE (brett05 @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 02:41 PM)
It's not a debate. It's murder and needs to end. Folks making themselves feel comfortable with murder by calling it women's health and the word abortion is abominable.

Youre right, it isnt a debate. Its not murder. In order for something to be murdered, it has to be alive. In order for something to be alive it has to be capable of self sustaining.

Is it "murder" when I get a haircut? Is it "murder" when someone has their tubes tied? Is it murder when someone has a vasectomy?

(edit)

Earth flat?

You do realize the people who call abortion "murder" are the same people who said the "earth is flat."

Either you with science or you are against science, this isnt a scientific debate, this is a religious one.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 03:33 PM)
There is evidence at the state level that this simply does not work like you'd want it to.

Well at least it will stop the Politicians from becoming filthy rich, Harry Reid was almost broke when he came to Washington, he is now worth millions, how does that happen on the salary of a Senator or a Congressman makes?

Edited by The Mighty Mite

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 02:44 PM)
Youre right, it isnt a debate. Its not murder. In order for something to be murdered, it has to be alive. In order for something to be living it has to be capable of self sustaining.

Is it "murder" when I get a haircut? Is it "murder" when someone has their tubes tied? Is it murder when someone has a vasectomy?

It's alive and it's murder. Kill a pregnant woman in something like 38 states and it's a double homicide. But hey, keep trying to hide the murder.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 02:46 PM)
One's views on abortion are ethical opinions, not statements of fact. It's not comparable to the shape of the Earth in any way.

It's just as silly which is the valid comparison.