Will Brett Lawrie be Non-Tendered?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 11:07 AM)
Exactly, that's the question. Maybe his girlfriend broke up with him, maybe his car broke down, maybe he overcooked his pizza. Like another posted already mentioned, it could be another Marquis Teague situation.

I leave you with this. :lol:

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 12, 2016 -> 03:21 PM)
Maybe I'm looking too far into it, but he just tweeted this:

"Truly a journey"

I don't see what the point of non-tendering him would be, so maybe they'll tender and then trade him.

He is also a guy who has had a frustrating return from injury, could be another set back there too.

He just tweeted again:

Surroundings captured and harnessed to put fourth powerful knowledge collected thru-out experience to gain success #Living #Learn #Trust

So my guesses are either he's attending terrible positive-image seminars, or that he's in the midst of a peyote-fueled vision quest.

Edited by Hamhock

QUOTE (daggins @ Nov 12, 2016 -> 05:59 PM)
WSD thinks he may have been non-tendered which, if true, would be kind of shocking.

Either they are freeing up payroll for a major FA or they are clearing payroll for a rebuild.

I'm guessing the latter. What's 5 million when you're going for it?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 12, 2016 -> 07:01 PM)
I'm guessing the latter. What's 5 million when you're going for it?

5 mil per year could be the difference between a bat like EE and settling for Beltran (or worse), for one thing. If JR has set a financial ceiling then 5 mil is a lot.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Nov 12, 2016 -> 06:11 PM)
To me that's a move if you are tanking. You don't just release a guy who can be average at 3B or 2B and doesn't make that much money.

Not even really a tanking move to me. He's young and cheap enough to be inconsequential and a lottery ticket to flip.

1. Not a great look for the Sox if any of the orthotics stuff is true, to then non-tender the guy after a tough recovery.

2. I'm not necessarily against it, in a vacuum, but I wasn't against the Flowers NT at the time, and that was a disaster.

Please do better Rick.

Edited by daggins

I would imagine that Lawrie would bring something back in a trade, even if mere org fodder. If Lawrie were non-tendered, the FO must know that Saladino will be fine by spring training. Or is ok handing the reigns to Sanchez.

What I want to know is where is the Avisail Garcia non-tender?!

Stubborn. Avi Garcia was the centerpiece of a trade that was supposed to be one the keys to revitalizing the White Sox with young hitting talent. Lawrie was more of a flier with potential upside.

But, as with Beckham and Viciedo, they'll have to cut bait on him eventually. He doesn't have the numbers to be a full time DH, which is the only spot on the roster suitable for him.