White Sox looking to deal Robertson

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 13, 2016 -> 07:10 PM)
George Ofman16 mins · TwitterHearing Whitesox attempt to trade David Robertson not going very well. Plenty of time, though.

I kinda take this guy with a grain of salt. That saying teams are probably going to go for the elites of chapman, jansen, and melancon first. Really a thin market for closers. Robertson may get more interest once those guys sign

If he doesn't rebound, Hahn is going to be ruing the trade deadline the last couple of years when he had opportunities to dump that contract.

Rebuilding teams can't afford to pay elite closer salaries (especially for non-elite performance).

For much of the last two seasons, the argument was that his save conversion rate was decent and mostly that his peripherals were impressive or at least looked better than the traditional metrics. But it was obvious over the course of the season that his stuff was just not as crisp...maybe his confidence was shaken a bit in the middle of the season or he was "overused" in the first half, but he nevertheless goes into the offseason (due to the injury) with nobody realistically knowing what to expect in 2017.

Someone mentioned that Jansen, Chapman and Melancon being out there complicates his trade market...not only that, but the Royals are sitting on Wade Davis, who's a year away from free agency. Miller's name is coming up a lot in Cleveland, because of their payroll/budget and the absolute haul they could get for him. So until those five situations are clarified, Robertson is likely stuck with the Sox and vice-versa.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 13, 2016 -> 10:29 PM)
If he doesn't rebound, Hahn is going to be ruing the trade deadline the last couple of years when he had opportunities to dump that contract.

Rebuilding teams can't afford to pay elite closer salaries (especially for non-elite performance).

For much of the last two seasons, the argument was that his save conversion rate was decent and mostly that his peripherals were impressive or at least looked better than the traditional metrics. But it was obvious over the course of the season that his stuff was just not as crisp...maybe his confidence was shaken a bit in the middle of the season, and he goes into the offseason (due to the injury) with nobody realistically knowing what to expect in 2017.

Someone mentioned that Jansen, Chapman and Melancon being out there complicates his trade market...not only that, but the Royals are sitting on Wade Davis, who's a year away from free agency. Miller's name is coming up a lot in Cleveland, because of their payroll/budget and the absolute haul they could get for him. So until those five situations are clarified, Robertson is likely stuck with the Sox and vice-versa.

Bull. The white sox aren't bankrupt. They have plenty of money to waste on an overpaid closer the next 2 years, and if they move a couple of their movable players they'll have plenty of funds even to sign players if they want. The problem is that they don't have enough money to add the large number of front line players that would be required to even come close to a wild card team - that's where having an overpaid closer (and, FWIW, the draft pick given up for him) actually hurts.

I'll be honest, I'm not sure why the Sox are even wasting their time on a Robertson trade right now. Not only are there too many quality closers available in free agency for him to have a market, but the Sox should be focused on moving their big chips and see if teams are going to pay up. It would be incredibly stupid to move Robertson but hold on to Sale, Quintana, Abreu, Eaton, & Jones. If there isn't a strong market for our elite trade chips, then we should at least make some attempt at competing. I have a bad feeling we're going to get caught in the middle again and only deal Frazier, Melky, & Robertson. Any other front office and I wouldn't be worried, but KW & Hahn have little experience selling. I really hope I'm wrong here.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 13, 2016 -> 07:42 PM)
I'll be honest, I'm not sure why the Sox are even wasting their time on a Robertson trade right now. Not only are there too many quality closers available in free agency for him to have a market, but the Sox should be focused on moving their big chips and see if teams are going to pay up. It would be incredibly stupid to move Robertson but hold on to Sale, Quintana, Abreu, Eaton, & Jones. If there isn't a strong market for our elite trade chips, then we should at least make some attempt at competing. I have a bad feeling we're going to get caught in the middle again and only deal Frazier, Melky, & Robertson. Any other front office and I wouldn't be worried, but KW & Hahn have little experience selling. I really hope I'm wrong here.

Yeah, I was a bit perturbed by this as well...

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 14, 2016 -> 03:29 AM)

For much of the last two seasons, the argument was that his save conversion rate was decent and mostly that his peripherals were impressive or at least looked better than the traditional metrics. But it was obvious over the course of the season that his stuff was just not as crisp...maybe his confidence was shaken a bit in the middle of the season or he was "overused" in the first half, but he nevertheless goes into the offseason (due to the injury) with nobody realistically knowing what to expect in 2017.

I think Robertson showed he could rebound. Maybe he stays with the Sox

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 13, 2016 -> 07:29 PM)
I kinda take this guy with a grain of salt. That saying teams are probably going to go for the elites of chapman, jansen, and melancon first. Really a thin market for closers. Robertson may get more interest once those guys sign

Exactly. And when these guys get $20+ million per, we get a legit prospect for Robertson.