White Sox looking to deal Robertson

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 03:27 PM)
If the Sox want to let Frazier walk (if they can't get value in a trade return), go with Saladino at 3B for the next couple of years, and sign an aging DH or something to hit behind Abreu in 2018/2019, that's fine with me.

The will certainly trade Frazier and Abreu.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 06:26 PM)
Boy, if Hahn pulled off a Robertson for Robles deal, I'd be stoked. That's not happening though.

If Robles has a down first half and Robertson has a good half season it could. Look how quick they gave up on Giolito.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 05:27 PM)
If they're not too mad at Hahn for him using them as negotiating leverage in the Sale deal, a deal for Robertson could definitely happen this month, rather than July.

Doubt they're too mad, given that they traded with us 26 hours afterwards

*Rizzo and Hahn complete a Robertson for Robles swap*

Rizzo: "Guys! I got us a closer! I know you wanted one after one of you texted WTF to Rosenthal!'

Anyone in Nats org: "Who'd you get?"

"David Robertson!"

"Oh, he's a great buy low candidate. Injuries hampered him last year, but after this offseason his contract is pretty good. What'd we give up?"

"Robles"

"..."

"Rick Hahn told me he'd be really sad to not get Robles after talking about him so much with the Sale and Eaton dals:

"..."

Meanwhile, in the land of reality, I'd love Stevenson and Severino, depending on Robertson's market value.

Also apparently there was 3 teams on Eaton, was not made in a vacuum. Plus pretty sure had we polled pre trade 90% of board would have said that was no where near enough for 5 years of Eaton blah blah. Now after trade it's fleecing of century.

People talk about names so much they lose meaning, then we get some and we remember how valuable some of our acquisitions are.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 05:23 PM)
Also apparently there was 3 teams on Eaton, was not made in a vacuum. Plus pretty sure had we polled pre trade 90% of board would have said that was no where near enough for 5 years of Eaton blah blah. Now after trade it's fleecing of century.

People talk about names so much they lose meaning, then we get some and we remember how valuable some of our acquisitions are.

Just go back and read the thread from about 10 minutes before the trade happened. We were speculating it had to be Giolito/Lopez and while we didn't guess Dunning, folks definitely were not pleased with that return. I'm not sure Dunning changed that, but I doubt it.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 08:14 PM)
Just go back and read the thread from about 10 minutes before the trade happened. We were speculating it had to be Giolito/Lopez and while we didn't guess Dunning, folks definitely were not pleased with that return. I'm not sure Dunning changed that, but I doubt it.

There was one person who was against it. The speculation you talked about was when the trade initially was speculated as Q and Eaton for potentially Turner, Robles, Gio, ++

The only real reason for this post: I can't sleep. Tallyho.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 11:33 PM)
There was one person who was against it. The speculation you talked about was when the trade initially was speculated as Q and Eaton for potentially Turner, Robles, Gio, ++

The only real reason for this post: I can't sleep. Tallyho.

And you're not reading carefully either.

The market for closers is insane. The haul the Cubs gave up for two and a half months of Chapman, what the Phillies got for Giles, and the Padres got for Kimbral, coupled with the contracts given to Jansen, Kimbral, and Chapman have really raised the market value of quality late inning relievers to such an amount that makes things like Robles for Robertson not seem as crazy as it did six months ago.

If Robertson reverts to form, he is going to pull in a haul this summer.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 11:56 AM)
The market for closers is insane. The haul the Cubs gave up for two and a half months of Chapman, what the Phillies got for Giles, and the Padres got for Kimbral, coupled with the contracts given to Jansen, Kimbral, and Chapman have really raised the market value of quality late inning relievers to such an amount that makes things like Robles for Robertson not seem as crazy as it did six months ago.

If Robertson reverts to form, he is going to pull in a haul this summer.

I think that's such a huge "if". Teams were absolutely crushing Robertson's fastball this year. I don't know if it was just that he was tired on back to back games, or if he's regressing. I would probably dump him now rather than risk it.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 10:57 AM)
I think that's such a huge "if". Teams were absolutely crushing Robertson's fastball this year. I don't know if it was just that he was tired on back to back games, or if he's regressing. I would probably dump him now rather than risk it.

I read somewhere Robertson had physical ailments he was trying, often unsuccessfully, to pitch through.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 10:57 AM)

Agreed. If there's anyone who is most likely to get traded before Christmas, it's Robertson.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 11:00 AM)
Agreed. If there's anyone who is most likely to get traded before Christmas, it's Robertson.

Agreed. I think it'll come down to Washington and Miami for Robertson.

I would not be shocked if Miami offered Garrett, Kolek, or Castillo for Robertson because Miami lol

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 11:06 AM)

I would not be shocked if Miami offered Garrett, Kolek, or Castillo for Robertson because Miami lol

Didn't the Marlins check in on Gonzalez last July? Maybe we can package Gonzalez and Robertson together.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 11:09 AM)
Didn't the Marlins check in on Gonzalez last July? Maybe we can package Gonzalez and Robertson together.

I believe you are right.

Their current rotation is Chen, Conley, Volquez, Koehler, and Urena.

Is Gonzalez really much of an upgrade?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 11:06 AM)

Miami has nothing to trade. They'll just sign Ziegler IMO

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 11:10 AM)
I will go further, a contender would have to be insane to rely on Robertson to close out games based on how he looked last year.

A contender could be very interested in Nate Jones though. He is not a proven closer, but he has the stuff to close out games