Abreu enters arbitration

Jose Abreu

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Nov 14, 2016 -> 03:17 PM)
Per Dan Hayes

Dan Hayes ‏@CSNHayes 7m7 minutes ago

Jose Abreu opted out of his guaranteed 3/$34 million deal w/ #WhiteSox and instead will go year by year in arb w/ them. Still Sox property.

Positive to this is it may reinvigorate Jose. He's got something to play for again outside of his next contract.

I've never really found that to be an issue with Jose, just worth mentioning.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 14, 2016 -> 02:30 PM)
Weird that he posts his own news links on this site. He should spend more time in the batting cages.

Haha...one would think!

I actually would prefer to hold on to him...Jose is the kind of guy I'd want around young players.

Unless the return was significant, he wouldn't be high on my list of guys to move.

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 14, 2016 -> 06:28 PM)
Does this change his tradability in any way, good or bad?

He remains under team control for just as long, but this likely leads to a small but not unexpected salary boost each of the next 3 seasons. It does perhaps reduce the downside risk for a team acquiring him - if his performance keeps dropping, a team could choose to non-tender him in 2019 without being on the hook for $15 mil+.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 14, 2016 -> 04:35 PM)
Well that s***s on his trade value for sure.

Meh. He is only going to get about $500k to $1m raise this year versus what he would have gotten. If he rakes like he did the past 2 months of the season, he'll be getting raises in the next two years, but its not like his salary is going to skyrocket.

On the plus side, it gives the Sox (or the acquiring team) a little more flexibility in that if he falls of a cliff or gets hurt, they can non-tender him and aren't stuck paying $12M per.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Nov 14, 2016 -> 04:44 PM)
Meh. He is only going to get about $500k to $1m raise this year versus what he would have gotten. If he rakes like he did the past 2 months of the season, he'll be getting raises in the next two years, but its not like his salary is going to skyrocket.

On the plus side, it gives the Sox (or the acquiring team) a little more flexibility in that if he falls of a cliff or gets hurt, they can non-tender him and aren't stuck paying $12M per.

It reduces salary certainty going forward. In this market that is a really bad thing.

Always a bad idea to turn down a guaranteed $34 million. His life is not going to change materially if he's lucky enough to make an extra couple million a season. With how bad he looked earlier in the season compared to previous years and the increase in injury risk with age that is a bit of a surprise.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Nov 14, 2016 -> 04:55 PM)
Always a bad idea to turn down a guaranteed $34 million. His life is not going to change materially if he's lucky enough to make an extra couple million a season. With how bad he looked earlier in the season compared to previous years and the increase in injury risk with age that is a bit of a surprise.

I think I agree unless he knows something we don't.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Nov 14, 2016 -> 02:55 PM)

He probably figures he's already made enough to where his life won't change materially if he doesn't live up to the guaranteed portion of the initial contract.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 14, 2016 -> 07:00 PM)
He probably figures he's already made enough to where his life won't change materially if he doesn't live up to the guaranteed portion of the initial contract.

More risk than reward in opting out imo. Especially for a 1B who projects more as a DH.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 14, 2016 -> 04:30 PM)
Weird that he posts his own news links on this site. He should spend more time in the batting cages.

I'm always impressed with how good his spelling and grammar is. The guy is still learning English, yet he types perfectly on here. Google Translate FTW?