Rumor: Dodgers & Sox discussing Sale & Frazier

DirtySox

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 11:42 AM)
Honestly, if I were the Dodgers, I'd take Seager over Sale. If they dealt Seager, they would have no 2B, 3B, or SS.

Every team in the majors would take Seager over Sale. He's a SS that just put up 7.5 fWAR and has 5 years of control remaining, lol.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 10:47 AM)
Every team in the majors would take Seager over Sale. He's a SS that just put up 7.5 fWAR and has 5 years of control remaining, lol.

Yea it's not even up for debate. That guy is probably gonna win an MVP sometime in his career.

2018 they have a very fun and entertaining team.

2019, compete for wild card spot, add at the ASB...and best position themselves for key broadcasting rights contract negotiations.

2017, obviously suffer but get another high draft pick for 2018.

Let's not forget we already have Collins, Burdi, Fulmer, Adams, Stephens and Hansen in the pipeline.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 11:49 AM)
Yep. My post was supposed to be a response to the guy who suggested we get Seager back lol

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 11:53 AM)
It's the same thing with the Mookie Betts trade "scenarios".

Right. I know it hurts a lot of posters to hear it, but we all need to realize that Chris Sale is NOT the most valuable asset in the MLB, lol.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 10:41 AM)
We need a Miller-like return for Sale. Where we absolutely fleece the other team.

Unless the White Sox get EXACTLY what they want they do not have to trade Sale. They can deal him at the deadline in 17, in the offseason after 17, at the deadline in 18...etc

Anyone who says that Sox do not have complete leverage to get whatever they want is foolish. Top 5 pitchers in baseball on team friendly deals very rarely, if ever, hit the market

Why do posters keep talking about the Dodgers reluctance to include Urias in a package for Sale when even since July it was reported that Urias was dangled as part of a return for Sale? For Sale alone the deal must include Urias plus 2 top 50 prospects and at least one more top 100 guy. Throw Frazier into the mix would likely require another top 100 guy and 2 lottery picks. This is why - to me anyway - the Dodgers should have the ammo to pull off the deal.

QUOTE (bruni @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 12:11 PM)
Why do posters keep talking about the Dodgers reluctance to include Urias in a package for Sale when even since July it was reported that Urias was dangled as part of a return for Sale? For Sale alone the deal must include Urias plus 2 top 50 prospects and at least one more top 100 guy. Throw Frazier into the mix would likely require another top 100 guy and 2 lottery picks. This is why - to me anyway - the Dodgers should have the ammo to pull off the deal.

Agreed. And, depending on what else the Dodgers do this offseason, they will have 3 picks in the first 35 or so. And if they don't resign Frazier, they can get a draft pick for him in the 2018 draft. They can restock their farm a bit. They also have the ability to lock up Sale beyond his current deal.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (bruni @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 12:11 PM)

My guess is because he was pretty good in the bigs after July. That said, I think they'd include Urias, but it may mean not getting De Leon, or getting one of Verdugo / Bellinger. Personally, I want all four.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 01:56 PM)
This. The Dodgers are not trading Corey Seager. Everyone please stop talking about it. It's like Mookie Betts all over again.

The veracity of that report is unclear and it was ambiguous in nature to begin with.

Also, Urias was called up right after the deadline and put up a sub 2 ERA over 37 innings. He improved his stock and showed he can hang in the MLB right now. As many of us have been saying since he was 18. Urias is a stud. He doesn't get the respect he deserves around here. The Sox need position players and fans are fawning over Benintendi, Bregman, etc. and that's all good and fair, those are great prospects/players BUT... Urias is a better pitcher than they are hitters. Pitchers come with more risk and Urias isn't even six foot so there is a rationale to prefer aforementioned players but Urias is an animal. He'll have three plus pitches at maturation and he has the composure and inventiveness of a guy who's been playing for years and he's yet to have a legal drink in the states. I love Urias and have ever since I've first heard of him. He's one of a kind.

Excellent post as typical from you Brian, but if there WAS any veracity from the report in July, and the WSox make a deal with the Dodgers that does NOT include Urias, many on these board will go banana's over 'missing' the optimal window last July to strike and essentially pick up Sale's true replacement plus other prospects.

Why can I envision KW pacing in the WSox offices muttering to himself a la Blago, "I've got this pitcher here and he's golden - GOLDEN!"... Too bad I can't trust the 'brain-trust' to get this one right... Time will tell...

Edited by bruni

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 12:56 PM)
This. The Dodgers are not trading Corey Seager. Everyone please stop talking about it. It's like Mookie Betts all over again.

The veracity of that report is unclear and it was ambiguous in nature to begin with.

Also, Urias was called up right after the deadline and put up a sub 2 ERA over 37 innings. He improved his stock and showed he can hang in the MLB right now. As many of us have been saying since he was 18. Urias is a stud. He doesn't get the respect he deserves around here. The Sox need position players and fans are fawning over Benintendi, Bregman, etc. and that's all good and fair, those are great prospects/players BUT... Urias is a better pitcher than they are hitters. Pitchers come with more risk and Urias isn't even six foot so there is a rationale to prefer aforementioned players but Urias is an animal. He'll have three plus pitches at maturation and he has the composure and inventiveness of a guy who's been playing for years and he's yet to have a legal drink in the states. I love Urias and have ever since I've first heard of him. He's one of a kind.

With the way this organization loves pitching, he has to be the centerpiece for any deal in their eyes, I would bet money on it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 01:06 PM)
With the way this organization loves pitching, he has to be the centerpiece for any deal in their eyes, I would bet money on it.

Agreed. There was an article out there that the Dodgers would put Urias on the table for Sale. Like many have said, Urias is a must in a Sale trade especially with Frazier involved as well.

Urias, Bellinger, and Verdugo will highlight this potential deal imo.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 01:13 PM)
Thanks Bruni. If I am Friedman, I am not sure I can give up 6 years of Urias + a lot more for 3 years of Sale. That being said, Friedman is one of the best executives ever with no trophies to show for it. Putting Sale behind Kershaw can make him feel a lot better about winning a championship or two over the next three years.

Exactly, championships can cure all problems. Cubs fans didn't like giving up that much for Chapman, but it won them a WS. Kershaw, Sale, Maeda, McCarthy, Ryu is a hell of a 5.

I can't say enough that if Urias is not in the deal, it's a loss for the Sox.

I think the central theme here is that if the White Sox aren't getting a teams top prospect, plus 3 to 4 other really high quality minor leaguers, the White Sox have lost the deal.

My hope is that with one of the least likely teams to trade with the White Sox having won the 2016 World Series, and a lot of interest from the top teams around baseball in Sale, both the pressure and the bids to get Chris Sale will have to rise.

Think about the view for each of these squads:

Boston gets to put Chris Sale behind David Price.

Dodgers get to run Clayton Kershaw and Chris Sale to start a playoff series. As a playoff team, you could have to face Sale and Kershaw 5 times in a seven game series.

Atlanta is looking to make a big leap to sell a fairly unwanted new stadium here in a few short years.

Houston is looking to take the next step by adding veteran star power to their team

The Yankees missed the playoffs last year, and are becoming devoid of star power

We only need one of those teams to push all in, and it forces the rest to push in or know that they let Chris Sale go to competition.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 01:24 PM)
I think the central theme here is that if the White Sox aren't getting a teams top prospect, plus 3 to 4 other really high quality minor leaguers, the White Sox have lost the deal.

My hope is that with one of the least likely teams to trade with the White Sox having won the 2016 World Series, and a lot of interest from the top teams around baseball in Sale, both the pressure and the bids to get Chris Sale will have to rise.

Think about the view for each of these squads:

Boston gets to put Chris Sale behind David Price.

Dodgers get to run Clayton Kershaw and Chris Sale to start a playoff series. As a playoff team, you could have to face Sale and Kershaw 5 times in a seven game series.

Atlanta is looking to make a big leap to sell a fairly unwanted new stadium here in a few short years.

Houston is looking to take the next step by adding veteran star power to their team

The Yankees missed the playoffs last year, and are becoming devoid of star power

We only need one of those teams to push all in, and it forces the rest to push in or know that they let Chris Sale go to competition.

Chris Sale is the #1 on 4 of those 5 teams. If Chris Sale isn't worth the top prospect from teams, that tells me that team doesn't want to win right now.

Stop wasting the Sox time and offer what is deserved for a top 5 pitcher on the best contract in baseball.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 01:19 PM)
I can't say enough that if Urias is not in the deal, it's a loss for the Sox.

I think this is a poor way to evaluate a potential trade. You have to look at the entire package and not just the centerpiece.

Honestly, it probably doesn't matter, because I don't think Friedman will give up Urias. Hope I'm wrong, but I know I wouldn't if I was Friedman unless it was practically a straight-up swap.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 01:31 PM)
I think this is a poor way to evaluate a potential trade. You have to look at the entire package and not just the centerpiece.

Honestly, it probably doesn't matter, because I don't think Friedman will give up Urias. Hope I'm wrong, but I know I wouldn't if I was Friedman unless it was practically a straight-up swap.

In this case the #1 player in the trade is barely more important than the #2 -> #5 players.

This deal is all about rebuilding depth and quality in an organization that has stars and no depth. If you aren't getting 3 to 4 starters out of this deal, you have blown it.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 01:31 PM)

A half year of success cancels out a perennial cy young contender, ok. Sox would need at least 1 guy with potential to be a perennial all-star. Urias is that guy. De Leon, the next best pitching prospect will be turning 25 with 0 MLB experience. What happens with your quantity amount of players if they don't pan out?

We had some on here saying we overpaid for Frazier when the highlight of that deal was 2 months of Trayce Thompson. Look at what the Reds got for Chapman compared to what the Yankees got for him. They got a 4th outfielder, a light hitting 2B, and another player. There is 0 reasons that Urias should not be included in this deal

The Sox have all of the leverage. There are not many Sale level pitchers in baseball. There are even fewer that are available. If other teams dont want to pay, then the Sox shouldnt trade. There is 0 urgency for the Sox. Not to mention part of the price of acquiring Sale is also the value of not letting your competitor get him.