Rumor: Dodgers & Sox discussing Sale & Frazier

DirtySox

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 16, 2016 -> 07:46 AM)
Yeah, both are basically major league ready, that is for sure.

I just don't see Turner going anywhere.

It's one thing for a GM to liquidate 3-4 of his top 10 prospects for a guy like Sale. It's another thing completely to send off a young player the general fanbase has already latched onto as a star of the future.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 16, 2016 -> 09:48 AM)

It's one thing for a GM to liquidate 3-4 of his top 10 prospects for a guy like Sale. It's another thing completely to send off a young player the general fanbase has already latched onto as a star of the future.

The consolation prize is Chris Sale.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 16, 2016 -> 09:51 AM)
Would it be possible to merge all the Sale threads together? There's like 3 or 4 different topics relating to him and it's a pain to have to check each one individually. Nothing is concrete at this point so I think it'd be better to have 1 thread dedicated to Sale rumors.

Nope. No catch all. Each rumor gets it own thread.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 16, 2016 -> 10:28 AM)
lol no way we would get all 3 + for anyone. Completely unrealistic

I think you do...

I heard what Callis was talking about for asking price for Sale (Benintendi & JBJ & Devers & Kopech) and I thought he was nuts, but then I thought about a couple of things.

1. If you are the Nationals, Red Sox, Dodgers, Astros or Rangers, you have money, you have a lot of prospects and you have a window of competitiveness. Even if you are the Cardinals and Pirates, you still fall in the same boat. You have great 2017 & 2018 rosters and you have so much depth that one big piece could really push you over the edge. Sure Urias, De Leon, Bellinger, Verdugo and Alvarez, or Benintendi, Moncada, and Kopech are all talented players and would suck to lose, but how much do they help you in that 2017 & 2018 window. Do they help you as much as Sale does? Verdugo, Bellinger, Benintendi and Moncada all play positions that could be filled pretty easily via free agency, something that can’t be said about starting pictching.

2. Sale is an asset that, unless there is a major injury, could be re-traded at a later date. If you are one of the above teams, Sale might cost you your top 5 prospects, but you can keep him for 2 years and trade him for a teams 3 best prospects. So it’s an easier pill to swallow. Increase your probability of winning in the next two years then reevaluate.

These GMs have deep pockets, lots of talent, small windows of opportunity and big egos. I think Hahn will get what he wants in the end.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 16, 2016 -> 09:48 AM)

I don't either but that is the haul it should take.

Washington has better options than Boston in that regard and as such it will hurt them more.

Washington could also use a Robertson, Jones, Abreu and even a Cabrera.

Max and Stras aren't getting any younger.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Nov 16, 2016 -> 09:56 AM)
I don't either but that is the haul it should take.

Washington has better options than Boston in that regard and as such it will hurt them more.

Washington could also use a Robertson, Jones, Abreu and even a Cabrera.

Max and Stras aren't getting any younger.

Harper is gone soon too...

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 14, 2016 -> 09:57 PM)
Urias, Bellinger, Verdugo, Lux, Alvarez, and Puig should do it.

People, you have to factor in that LA could/will probably offer Frazier a QO after the season too. That alone draws value as well.

There may be no QO after the season though, so that diminishes that value.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 05:27 PM)
I agree with you, but you can't teach Gallo's power. He puts up Todd Frazier numbers, I would be completely fine with.

Yes, but the same was said about Matt Davidson, Mike Olt, and Brandon Wood. A ton of power, not enough contact to ever make it matter.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 16, 2016 -> 09:10 AM)
Didnt really seem like your point at all. Seemed like your point was to call his source dumb, and now you are backtracking it to what you feel is realistic

Sorry if that was how it looked. My point was the source said a possiblity was JBJ and Benintendi or Moncada plus. He obviously just threw names out since Boston would not trade their starting LF and CF in a trade. As I posted elsewhere, writers just throw out trades at this time of year with no factual basis.

For example the two articles in another thread the last few days :

1. Had Benintendi Devers and Kopech + for Sale

2. The other said Boston pulled Moncada and Kopech off the table in any trades.

Obviously one or both have no reliable source backing them.

With any deal, you have to aim for near ready guys who have been nothing more than September call-ups. Anyone who is already up will severely limit the other pieces you get. The White Sox need quantity as much as quality. 3 good near-ready players > 1 great player and mediocre/bad prospects.

So if you're aiming for Urias, you're not going to get Bellinger & De Leon to go with him. If you're aiming for Mookie Betts (just an example), you're not getting Moncada and Devers to go with. A 1 for 1 deal does the Sox no favors. They need a minimum of 3 good players in any trade.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 16, 2016 -> 01:23 PM)
Yes, but the same was said about Matt Davidson, Mike Olt, and Brandon Wood. A ton of power, not enough contact to ever make it matter.

Just realized that this trade actually lets us try Davidson out, which wasn't an awful idea at the end of last year until he got bit by the first-day-up curse.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 16, 2016 -> 01:11 PM)
There may be no QO after the season though, so that diminishes that value.

Not really. Value should increase actually. Passan made it sound like new CBA would have system that compensates team that loses player but doesn't take pick away from signing team. It should increase the value of Frazier because there's literally no risk that you might not get a pick for him.

Odds are that we have started a bidding now that the Bankees want in. Bankees will try hard to not let him go to Boston; Boston will try hard not to let him to go NYY, but Cashman will force DD's hand and DD will pony up. This is going to be a three headed race between LAD-BOS-NYY and a darkhorse HOU. I think Texas bows out because they don't want to trade Odor or Mazara. Nationals won't bend, Rizzo in the past has been a pretty stingy negotiator and goes for the free agency route. I think Houston only as a darkhorse because they have George Springer. Just my two cents, speculating. Have a feeling Springer would be a guy the Sox would go after before Bregman.

Edited by Soxnfins

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 16, 2016 -> 03:12 PM)
Who says no?

White Sox get: Urias, Bellinger, Verdugo, Lux, Buehler, Barnes and Puig (as a throw in)

Dodgers get: Sale, Frazier, and Robertson

Lot of moving parts, but would be big for both teams.

The fact that I like it so much tells me LAD would probably say no.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Nov 16, 2016 -> 03:34 PM)
The fact that I like it so much tells me LAD would probably say no.

Lol yeah...more than likely. I've pointed out a few times though that they get basically 3 first round picks in next year's draft if Turner and Jansen sign elsewhere, along with a possible draft pick for Frazier in 2018. Maybe they can look at it that way and figure they can recoup some big losses in a trade now?

Edit: also just really bored at work lol

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 16, 2016 -> 04:07 PM)
Can you guys imagine the meltdown that will happen here if Sale isn't traded this offseason or if someone like Gray or Archer are dealt for a haul?

There is going to be a melt down no matter what happens. Let's be real.