Braves among teams showing interest in chris sale

Whisox05

Top 100 Prospects from BA's midseason list (excluding Swanson):

17. Ozzie Albies ss Braves Has made it to Triple-A just a year after being named a South Atlantic League all-star

33. Sean Newcomb lhp Braves Walk rate still high, but premium swing-and-miss stuff remains with 80 strikeouts in first 78 2/3 innings.

77. Kolby Allard lhp Braves Like Brady Aiken, Allard is shaking off a lot of injury-induced rust; the stuff has bounced back quickly.

78. Mike Soroka rhp Braves Soroka moved on the rubber, and the 18-year-old Canadian has thrown lots of quality strikes in his first full season in the Sally League.

95. Touki Toussaint rhp Braves A significant tweak to his arm slot and arm action has Touissant throwing more strikes and missing more bats.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 09:22 AM)
Top 100 Prospects from BA's midseason list (excluding Swanson):

17. Ozzie Albies ss Braves Has made it to Triple-A just a year after being named a South Atlantic League all-star

33. Sean Newcomb lhp Braves Walk rate still high, but premium swing-and-miss stuff remains with 80 strikeouts in first 78 2/3 innings.

77. Kolby Allard lhp Braves Like Brady Aiken, Allard is shaking off a lot of injury-induced rust; the stuff has bounced back quickly.

78. Mike Soroka rhp Braves Soroka moved on the rubber, and the 18-year-old Canadian has thrown lots of quality strikes in his first full season in the Sally League.

95. Touki Toussaint rhp Braves A significant tweak to his arm slot and arm action has Touissant throwing more strikes and missing more bats.

Sox need offense pieces. I don't think the Braves fit.

Trade would have to be Swanson, Inciarte, Albies, and two of the pitchers and I still wouldn't love it.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 11:30 AM)

Trade would have to be Swanson, Inciarte, Albies, and two of the pitchers and I still wouldn't love it.

I have zero issues with the White Sox bringing back pitching in a Sale deal. A rotation of Quintana, Rodon, Fulmer still has several spots to fill with things that are better than James Shields, you always assume some guys will bust out of any group you bring back/draft, and bringing back additional pitching could make moving Quintana more palatable as well.

I'd probably have issue with the White Sox bringing back ONLY pitching, but I could deal with a pitching-headlined deal.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 09:37 AM)
I have zero issues with the White Sox bringing back pitching in a Sale deal. A rotation of Quintana, Rodon, Fulmer still has several spots to fill with things that are better than James Shields, you always assume some guys will bust out of any group you bring back/draft, and bringing back additional pitching could make moving Quintana more palatable as well.

I'd probably have issue with the White Sox bringing back ONLY pitching, but I could deal with a pitching-headlined deal.

I mean, I definitely want a pitcher or two back with top of the rotation potential, but I just have far more faith in the Sox developing pitching than I do of them developing their own hitters. Hence why I'd like to see a trade that is more centered around bats that are close to ML ready.

Jim callis from mlb.com at mid-season top farm systems

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/193317666/mi...0-farm-systems/

9. Atlanta Braves

Preseason Top 10 rank: No. 2

Prospects on Top 100: 5

The Braves are building a formidable infield of the future around Dansby Swanson (No. 5) and Ozzie Albies (No. 18), either of whom could play second base or shortstop, and third baseman-to-be Kevin Maitan, the cream of the 2016-17 international crop who signed for $4.25 million after drawing comparisons to Miguel Cabrera and Chipper Jones. They have several promising arms, though many of them have control issues (left-hander Sean Newcomb, No. 58) or health concerns (lefty Kolby Allard, No. 73). If the three pitchers Atlanta took at the top of its 2016 Draft -- righty Ian Anderson (No. 92), lefties Joey Wentz and Kyle Muller -- live up to their scouting reports, this system could rocket up our next rankings

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 09:30 AM)

Braves fans are suggesting way lowball offers centered around Albies plus filler which is not even worth commenting on

Any deal would have to include Swanson, Inciarte and Albies plus likely 2 more prospects...but I don't love that deal either as the White Sox really need offensive punch

None of those players brings much in the way of power to the table, but would improve the overall team

It was smart not to settle at the deadline when you can now have a bidding war between many suitors take place

The player that is a must in a deal with the Braves is Kevin Maitan.

Realistically you build a deal that starts with Swanson, Maitan, Allard, and go from there, you could build a solid deal. I would expect that teams like Boston, Los Angeles, Houston, and the Yankees could outbid that if they wanted to.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 12:04 PM)
The player that is a must in a deal with the Braves is Kevin Maitan.

Realistically you build a deal that starts with Swanson, Maitan, Allard, and go from there, you could build a solid deal. I would expect that teams like Boston, Los Angeles, Houston, and the Yankees could outbid that if they wanted to.

That's what I'm anticipating honestly. The big dogs will outbid anyone.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 11:29 AM)
Any deal has to start with Swanson and Maitan. Would nice to see Acuna or Albies in there too, but just a base of those 2 guys would be a great start.

Maitan has a high ceiling, but I would rather receive more proven talent that has less risk than a teenager

I get multiple teams involved and let the bidding WAR commence. You never know what you might be offered, but it's a given that the Sox will end up receiving a king's ransom if they choose to move him

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 02:18 PM)
Maitan has a high ceiling, but I would rather receive more proven talent that has less risk than a teenager

I get multiple teams involved and let the bidding WAR commence. You never know what you might be offered, but it's a given that the Sox will end up receiving a king's ransom if they choose to move him

This kid is being billed as a once in a generation talent. He is absolutely someone who is a must if the Sox do indeed swing a deal with Atlanta. He would instantly be our top prospect, with no one else particularly close, even at age 16.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/internation...s1tVklhESAKj.97

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 02:22 PM)
This kid is being billed as a once in a generation talent. He is absolutely someone who is a must if the Sox do indeed swing a deal with Atlanta. He would instantly be our top prospect, with no one else particularly close, even at age 16.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/internation...s1tVklhESAKj.97

His ceiling is very high, no doubt. I am concerned about the risk of having such a young player be a centerpiece of a deal though. The Sox farm system has not had great success in developing this sort of player from a young age all the way to the majors

I like Swanson + Albies as a centerpiece of a trade that includes pitching as well

Maitan is too raw and the bust potential worries me too much in a Sale deal unless he is a 3rd or 4th piece

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 02:27 PM)
His ceiling is very high, no doubt. I am concerned about the risk of having such a young player be a centerpiece of a deal though. The Sox farm system has not had great success in developing this sort of player from a young age all the way to the majors

I like Swanson + Albies as a centerpiece of a trade that includes pitching as well

Maitan is too raw and the bust potential worries me too much in a Sale deal unless he is a 3rd or 4th piece

Swanson would be the centerpiece and the low floor player of the deal. Maitan would be 1A in the deal.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 02:34 PM)
Swanson would be the centerpiece and the low floor player of the deal. Maitan would be 1A in the deal.

Perhaps

I don't actually see Atlanta being willing to part with what it would actually take to get a deal done though

A package of Swanson, Albies, Newcomb and Soroka certainly gets the conversation serious

That would round out the Sox infield with some combination of Swanson/Anderson/Albies covering 3B, SS and 2B plus two young pitchers with starting potential

Zack Collins will need time to develop, but ideally he could stay at catcher

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 02:34 PM)

Perhaps

I don't actually see Atlanta being willing to part with what it would actually take to get a deal done though

A package of Swanson, Albies, Newcomb and Soroka certainly gets the conversation serious

That would round out the Sox infield with some combination of Swanson/Anderson/Albies covering 3B, SS and 2B plus two young pitchers with starting potential

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 03:01 PM)
Perhaps

Like I said previously, I think the Braves could put together a good enough package, but if the top teams wanted to do so, they could easily beat it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 04:12 PM)
Like I said previously, I think the Braves could put together a good enough package, but if the top teams wanted to do so, they could easily beat it.

That's where I think Atlanta is lacking. That the deeper farm systems will get it done over them unless the big dogs just flat out refuse to give the Sox what they want.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 03:09 PM)

I don't see any way the Sox make a deal without Swanson headlining it. I like Albies, and there is alot to be said for a 19 year old making it to AAA, but his numbers did take a dip at AAA after the promotion

Albies + Newcomb plus filler does not get it done like the article suggests, especially with other suitors involved

Blair and Wisler profile as back of the rotation starters and do not excite me

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Nov 15, 2016 -> 04:14 PM)
I don't see any way the Sox make a deal without Swanson headlining it. I like Albies, and there is alot to be said for a 19 year old making it to AAA, but his numbers did take a dip at AAA after the promotion

Albies + Newcomb plus filler does not get it done like the article suggests, especially with other suitors involved

Blair and Wisler profile as back of the rotation starters and do not excite me

Absolutely Dansby Swanson is in the deal for Chris Sale. I just don't like Atlanta prospects. The ones they trade just seem to always struggle and suck.

Seems everyone is avoiding Inciarte for some reason. I'd rather have him headlining the deal than anyone else.

+15 DRS this past year

+29 the year before that

Add that with Eaton in the OF and your in business defensively

He's just a really good 26 year old baseball player