Blue Jays Interested in Fowler/Eaton

Jose Abreu

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Nov 18, 2016 -> 09:34 AM)
Not sure Toronto has the farm system to get the Sox interested enough to deal Eaton. His value is extremely high right now and he is on a cheap contract.

The guys at BaseballAmerica seemed to really like the Blue Jays' system. Their Top 10 came out recently.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2017...m1GLKC8x14eM.97

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Nov 18, 2016 -> 09:34 AM)
Not sure Toronto has the farm system to get the Sox interested enough to deal Eaton. His value is extremely high right now and he is on a cheap contract.

I looked at their top 30, and it wasn't overwhelming. However, they might have the pieces. Does anyone know if McGuire could be a legitimate catcher in the majors?

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 18, 2016 -> 09:47 AM)
As is the case with the Dodgers, Blue Jays should also have 3 picks in the first 35 or so (if Bautista and Encarnacion sign elsewhere and Jays don't surrender other picks).

That could make them more likely to just pony up for Fowler. Give up their 1st rounder but they get 2 comp picks for their guys. Makes sense.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Nov 18, 2016 -> 09:38 AM)
I looked at their top 30, and it wasn't overwhelming. However, they might have the pieces. Does anyone know if McGuire could be a legitimate catcher in the majors?

Eaton was a 6.2 WAR Gold Glove Right Fielder who gets on base and is under team control through 2020

The return would have to be overwhelming for me to move him

They have some interesting players in their system, but many are considerably far away from being in the majors

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 18, 2016 -> 10:15 AM)
Not sure why Toronto would empty their already mediocre system for a guy like Eaton when they could just sign Fowler and give up 1 pick.

Fowler would seem to make more sense for them than Eaton, although it depends on his contract demands

QUOTE (Dunt @ Nov 18, 2016 -> 10:19 AM)
Dont see any way the jays get that deal done with prospects alone. You'd need to probably start around Travis.

Travis and Stroman would start the package coming back to the Sox, plus another prospect or two

Eaton is a gold glove, all start right fielder with plenty of control left

While not untouchable at all, he would be very expensive to trade for

QUOTE (peppers312 @ Nov 18, 2016 -> 10:17 AM)
Because Fowler wants 4 years and Eaton is obviously already under control.

Fowler would cost much more financially than Eaton, but much less in terms of prospects. The Jays aren't the Red Sox or Dodgers, they don't have tons of depth to trade from anyway.

I don't think this is happening.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 18, 2016 -> 09:45 AM)
I think Toronto absolutely has enough for Eaton. I'd require Vlad Guerrero Jr but I like Anthony Alford, Jon Harris, Angel Perdomo, and Rowdy Tellez. Getting a ML starter like Sanchez would be nice though.

Many of the Toronto Blue Jays prospects have huge question marks and flaws to their games. Many scouts are worried about Vlad Jr. body by the time he reaches the majors. Good chance his swing and athletic ability will slow down as his body starts maturing. Rowdy Tellaz has plus power, but lacks in hitting. Tellaz has trouble catching up to elite velocity and strikeouts a ton. Position wise he's still up in the air, but is negative everywhere in the field. Alford is my favorite of all their prospects. Alford is still extremely raw and athletic. Again White Sox have done a poor job in the past with these type of players. But based on the past 2 years we are starting to get over the hump with developing some hitters in our system. Rather make a trade with team with a lot less questions with their prospects. Eaton was a 6.2 WAR last year. Way too valuable and also the right time to sell high.

Edited by PolishPrince34

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 18, 2016 -> 11:15 AM)
Not sure why Toronto would empty their already mediocre system for a guy like Eaton when they could just sign Fowler and give up 1 pick.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Nov 18, 2016 -> 11:17 AM)
Fowler would seem to make more sense for them than Eaton, although it depends on his contract demands

QUOTE (peppers312 @ Nov 18, 2016 -> 11:17 AM)
Because Fowler wants 4 years and Eaton is obviously already under control.

The Blue Jays opening day payroll in 2016 was $112.8 million. . Before picking up arbitration options, they already have $110 million just from signed contracts for 2017. Add in guys like Stroman who obviously will be picked up and they have a higher payroll guaranteed next year already than they have had since 2014 when they had a $132 million opening day payroll.

Add $20 million/4 years for Fowler on top of that and they're at the highest payroll in team history, without any other moves.