Frazier wants to stay, doesn't want Sox to trade Sale

Sockin

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dunt @ Nov 18, 2016 -> 04:55 PM)
They finished 16.5 games out of first in their division, what the f*** is this dude talking about?

I wouldn't expect him to put the team on blast on the airwaves considering he stated he wants to stay here, but yeah "close" is definitely a reach....close to the bottom of the AL would be more accurate, maybe that's what he meant :whichway .

QUOTE (Sockin @ Nov 18, 2016 -> 05:34 PM)
FWIW Todd has been vocal today about the Sox direction. He was on Casey Stern'a show today saying he thinks the Sox are close to intending and you can't trade a guy like Sale. He also has retweeted someone saying the Sox need to keep and extend Frazier.

Nice guy, but he's wrong

At least for one post here, I am going to play devil's advocate or take the position that is contrary to the rebuild/blow-it-up strategy.

Reading down several trade suggestions made by posters here, a rebuild appears to provide hope. Then the following posts just shoot down the suggestions, often claiming that the suggestion is ridiculous, that other teams will never give up on players the Sox would want, or that other teams would never overpay for our players.

Then there is the reality that several teams, including now the Tigers, are seeking to dump veterans for prospect and acquire other teans top prospects in return. Unfortunately, teams are hanging on to their top prospects choosing to emulate what the Cubs did - accumulate a bevy of young prospects that reach a crescendo at the same time, then salt that roster with veterans through trade or free agency.

Complicating the blow-it-up plan further is the plain fact that only the worst three or four teams get the first three or four Draft slots. Too many teams are blowing it up or are bad enough now that it is no longer easy to do what Epstein did, throw a season or seasons and come out with Kris Bryant and Schwarber,

So the counterpoint to a major rebuild does have some validity. That is especially the case if the Sox simply cannot find trading partners that are willing to trade guys like Benintendi, Moncada, Trea Turner, Giolito, Urias, etc....not even for an ace pitcher under a great team friendly contract or a guy who hit 40 home runs and is solid defensively. At some point you have to stop trying to force a trade, keep what you have , and try to add to it again.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Nov 18, 2016 -> 09:36 PM)
At least for one post here, I am going to play devil's advocate or take the position that is contrary to the rebuild/blow-it-up strategy.

Reading down several trade suggestions made by posters here, a rebuild appears to provide hope. Then the following posts just shoot down the suggestions, often claiming that the suggestion is ridiculous, that other teams will never give up on players the Sox would want, or that other teams would never overpay for our players.

Then there is the reality that several teams, including now the Tigers, are seeking to dump veterans for prospect and acquire other teans top prospects in return. Unfortunately, teams are hanging on to their top prospects choosing to emulate what the Cubs did - accumulate a bevy of young prospects that reach a crescendo at the same time, then salt that roster with veterans through trade or free agency.

Complicating the blow-it-up plan further is the plain fact that only the worst three or four teams get the first three or four Draft slots. Too many teams are blowing it up or are bad enough now that it is no longer easy to do what Epstein did, throw a season or seasons and come out with Kris Bryant and Schwarber,

So the counterpoint to a major rebuild does have some validity. That is especially the case if the Sox simply cannot find trading partners that are willing to trade guys like Benintendi, Moncada, Trea Turner, Giolito, Urias, etc....not even for an ace pitcher under a great team friendly contract or a guy who hit 40 home runs and is solid defensively. At some point you have to stop trying to force a trade, keep what you have , and try to add to it again.

That is what they've been doing for the past few seasons. It's not working man. Not when your owner is a cheap bastard. They haven't tried to force a trade. This is a very well thought out plan they're trying to execute.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Nov 18, 2016 -> 09:50 PM)
Honestly it hasn't even been Jerry being cheap, we have a decent payroll and look what happened with Heyward and gordon. The issue is that the players we have signed and traded for have commonly underachieved and we can't develop anything but pitchers in our minor leagues.

A lot of this was also Jerry being cheap. Example- we didn't pony up for Cespedes, we signed scrap heap guys like Jackson, Latos, and Rollins, and well, yeah.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Nov 18, 2016 -> 08:30 PM)
A lot of this was also Jerry being cheap. Example- we didn't pony up for Cespedes, we signed scrap heap guys like Jackson, Latos, and Rollins, and well, yeah.

Do you think Cespedes on our team would have made it a winner or would we be out 125m+ for the next 5 years

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Nov 18, 2016 -> 08:42 PM)
That is what they've been doing for the past few seasons. It's not working man. Not when your owner is a cheap bastard. They haven't tried to force a trade. This is a very well thought out plan they're trying to execute.

Yes, sir, but you know that line "The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry ."

Teams now seem to be of this mindset where they covet and will never trade their top tier young players and prospects and will only trade their second tier prospects and players who have injuries or other issues. If that turns out to be the case, then what do we do ?

Adding to that...there may no longer be a Draft day pay-off for tanking seasons in an era where there is a race to last so teams can game the system like the Cubs did. So we could be "mired in mediocrity" for longer than any of us anticipated with this rebuilding plan.

Edited by miracleon35th

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Nov 19, 2016 -> 12:03 AM)
Yes, sir, but you know that line "The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry ."

Teams now seem to be of this mindset where they covet and will never trade their top tier young players and prospects and will only trade their second tier prospects and players who have issues, injuries or other issues. If that turns out to be the case, then what do we do ?

There may no longer be a Draft day pay-off for tanking seasons in an era where there is a race to last so teams can game the system like the Cubs did.

With such a weak FA class and the current money value as well as sell-high value on the Sox up for trade....now is absolutely the time for the Sox to do this.

Just think. If we hadn't had Robin and we actually had a RELIABLE bullpen and a guy like Salvy Perez, we might not be mourning all but one year of the Robin era. Our bullpen has SUCKED. Now we think we need a total rebuild when we truly COULD contend if Jerry spent MEGA dollars on free agents this offseason.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 19, 2016 -> 01:24 AM)
Just think. If we hadn't had Robin and we actually had a RELIABLE bullpen and a guy like Salvy Perez, we might not be mourning all but one year of the Robin era. Our bullpen has SUCKED. Now we think we need a total rebuild when we truly COULD contend if Jerry spent MEGA dollars on free agents this offseason.

If ONLY we had so MANY things go DIFFERENTLY we COULD have DIFFERENT results.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Nov 18, 2016 -> 02:38 PM)
God bless Todd Frazier. I agree with his assessment of the team and Sale. I hope the team signs Frazier this off season to a long term contract.

When everywhere we turn there is bad news for the Sox Frazier is actually a ray of sunshine. When it seems as if no free agents want to come here, here is Todd Frazier telling the world the Sox are a team he wants to stay with . Bless his heart for being such a goodwill Ambassador for the Sox. We could use more like him.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 19, 2016 -> 09:23 AM)
When everywhere we turn there is bad news for the Sox Frazier is actually a ray of sunshine. When it seems as if no free agents want to come here, here is Todd Frazier telling the world the Sox are a team he wants to stay with . Bless his heart for being such a goodwill Ambassador for the Sox. We could use more like him.

Chris Sale has said he wants to stay too.....................................

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 19, 2016 -> 01:24 AM)

This team is like 15 wins out of first place. Where are those coming from? Their core is as good as the other teams' cores but the rest is s***. Rebuild time.

I agree with Frazier. I know it's fun to play the prospect game and acquiring them in a trade but I think it's a bad decision to waste this pitching staff without trying to win again. Rodon, I think, takes a huge step next year and with him, Sale, and Q you'll have 3 of the top lefties in baseball. They need a CF, Cespedes(maybe) a catcher and LH bat. They are not that far away. Go through position by position- 3B-solid, SS- looks bright, 2B-I like Saladino, 1B-upper level, LF- solid, CF-gaping hole, RF- all-star level, C- hole, SP- upper level, RP-I not as down on Robertson as most and I like Jones. Burdi has some potential. They need to add an arm(not sure about Petricka status) but it's not a liability. I also think the removal of Ventura is a big plus.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Nov 19, 2016 -> 09:39 AM)
I agree with Frazier. I know it's fun to play the prospect game and acquiring them in a trade but I think it's a bad decision to waste this pitching staff without trying to win again. Rodon, I think, takes a huge step next year and with him, Sale, and Q you'll have 3 of the top lefties in baseball. They need a CF, Cespedes(maybe) a catcher and LH bat. They are not that far away. Go through position by position- 3B-solid, SS- looks bright, 2B-I like Saladino, 1B-upper level, LF- solid, CF-gaping hole, RF- all-star level, C- hole, SP- upper level, RP-I not as down on Robertson as most and I like Jones. Burdi has some potential. They need to add an arm(not sure about Petricka status) but it's not a liability. I also think the removal of Ventura is a big plus.

This has been asked a million times, but how do you expect to fill these holes? Money is tight, the free agent market is weak, and we have a bottom five farm system.