Four year control guys off the table(JQ,Nate,Eaton)

Princess Dye

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am, of course, OK with keeping Eaton and Quintana, but the idea that 'any player of 4 years is off the table' is a bit ridiculous. That's not how you trade. You dangle everyone.

I think it would be near impossible to get fair value for Eaton, however, Quintanna is a nice trade chip (albeit, possibly undervalued). I say everything (except Anderson/perhaps Rodon) is on the tale.

Everytime I read stories like this I get that pit in my stomache thinking their going to f*ck up the rebuild and do it half-ass.

I think its posturing, once Sale has been moved it makes no sense to hold onto Q when he could get a similar return same for Jones who would likely get a Ken Giles like return. The only real question is do you hold onto Eaton or sell high.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 19, 2016 -> 02:36 PM)
Part of me feels that it's not as much about rebuilding as it is getting rid of Sale and his attitude

This. I've long felt they are going to be doing a hybrid rebuild/retool. I think they are close to a deal with Sale that'll plug quite a few holes and they don't want to mortgage too much of the "now" picture. I bet they trade Sale and Frazier, Robertson midseason, and maybe Melky at some point.

QUOTE (beautox @ Nov 19, 2016 -> 02:48 PM)
I think its posturing, once Sale has been moved it makes no sense to hold onto Q when he could get a similar return same for Jones who would likely get a Ken Giles like return. The only real question is do you hold onto Eaton or sell high.

I'm hoping the same thing. Look, I'm not demanding they deal Quintana or Eaton, just want them to be open to it. I really think they should be aggressive with Jones though. He could command a huge return and can likely be replaced by the time we'll be competitive again.

QUOTE (daggins @ Nov 19, 2016 -> 03:05 PM)
They could also trade absolutely nobody and end up buying. Basically, we still have no idea what is going on.

It sounds like Encarnacion doesn't have much of a market right now. Think we could get him for cheaper than a lot of people expect. Boston reportedly not interested in him and want a guy on a short term deal for DH.

Edited by soxforlife05

So if the White Sox traded Sale and Frazier and Melky and Abreu and Robertson and few others but kept Quintana, Eaton and Jones, they would be half assing a rebuild. That cracks me up.

BTW, Hahn has said 100 times there are no untouchables. The longer term guys are available if the price is right.

Edited by Dick Allen

I wouldn't be surprised if right now the Dodgers are telling teams they "don't really want to let go of Puig anymore because he has shown encouraging signs". The point it this:

You can't trust a damned thing in the media during an offseason.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 19, 2016 -> 03:35 PM)
It's actually the ideal plan IMO

I agree. They aren't going to get "value" for Quintana and Eaton because of the years of control. They could always trade those guys later or the trajectory to winning changes if some prospects perform and those guys are still around on the next winning Sox team. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they move Sale, D-Rob, Melky, and Frazier. They could move Gonzalez in season. Guys like Jennings and Jones will have value in season. This isn't a one off-season thing. They are just looking at players with cost control instead of 1-2 year fixes. It makes perfect sense.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 19, 2016 -> 05:44 PM)
I agree. They aren't going to get "value" for Quintana and Eaton because of the years of control. They could always trade those guys later or the trajectory to winning changes if some prospects perform and those guys are still around on the next winning Sox team. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they move Sale, D-Rob, Melky, and Frazier. They could move Gonzalez in season. Guys like Jennings and Jones will have value in season. This isn't a one off-season thing. They are just looking at players with cost control instead of 1-2 year fixes. It makes perfect sense.

This week people had several convincing points about Eaton - not only is a lot of his value from last year on defense tied up in his throwing (so there's a chance of a step back in that), but you also have an attitude worry with him potentially not being able to handle having several of his buddies traded. I think I was mostly in agreement with you, but I found those points very persuasive.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 19, 2016 -> 03:47 PM)
This week people had several convincing points about Eaton - not only is a lot of his value from last year on defense tied up in his throwing (so there's a chance of a step back in that), but you also have an attitude worry with him potentially not being able to handle having several of his buddies traded. I think I was mostly in agreement with you, but I found those points very persuasive.

Rightfully so. What would you need to move him though? I'd need an awful lot. I just don't see that price being met.