Bleacher Report: Jose Quintana, not Chris Sale, is the most valuable o

Whisox05

More of a "Quintana is very good" article which is nice to see. But while Quintana may get you a good pitcher for longer, we all know the market for these guys is thinking about their 1-2-3 rotation in the playoffs, and hard to say no to Sale for that.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 22, 2016 -> 09:24 AM)
More of a "Quintana is very good" article which is nice to see. But while Quintana may get you a good pitcher for longer, we all know the market for these guys is thinking about their 1-2-3 rotation in the playoffs, and hard to say no to Sale for that.

Surprisingly, I agree with the writer. Sale has shown signs of fading down the stretch in September whereas Q is a more stable pitcher down the stretch. Imho, if I'm a GM with the teams 1-2-3 rotation for October in mind, I'd look to trade for Q first and foremost. Q is the most consistent starter the Sox have had since Buehrle.

As a Sox fan, if the Sox do trade one of Sale or Q I hope it's Sale. I have nothing against Sale, just prefer to keep Q.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 22, 2016 -> 11:10 AM)
Don't get me wrong, I'm a Q fan club card carrying member. I changed my last name to Quintana.

But I find it hard to believe the market for Q is higher.

Sale is a slightly better pitcher, Quintana is very close and is under team control for longer. If I assume that each of them will repeat last season's WAR numbers, Quintana provides more overall value and more surplus value under this current contract. One game yeah I pick Sale. Trading for the guy and looking at multiple seasons?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 22, 2016 -> 10:25 AM)
Sale is a slightly better pitcher, Quintana is very close and is under team control for longer. If I assume that each of them will repeat last season's WAR numbers, Quintana provides more overall value and more surplus value under this current contract. One game yeah I pick Sale. Trading for the guy and looking at multiple seasons?

I have to say, I've been surprised at how little Sale's contract has mattered. It gets mentioned, but I think part of it is we are dealing with Yankees/Red Sox/Dodgers/etc. That's nice, but the 10 million in savings per year isn't really doing anything for them.

PIttsburgh/STL would be the helpful teams there, but they don't seem to have the weapons.

I'm pretty sure if Boston feels Sale is too expensive they'll just get Verlander and not really care too much about it.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 22, 2016 -> 11:28 AM)
I have to say, I've been surprised at how little Sale's contract has mattered. It gets mentioned, but I think part of it is we are dealing with Yankees/Red Sox/Dodgers/etc. That's nice, but the 10 million in savings per year isn't really doing anything for them.

PIttsburgh/STL would be the helpful teams there, but they don't seem to have the weapons.

I'm pretty sure if Boston feels Sale is too expensive they'll just get Verlander and not really care too much about it.

If this report were accurate, then that would be a sign that the contract status of the 2 pitchers has been mattering more than we think.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 22, 2016 -> 08:28 AM)

One thing I haven't heard mentioned in regards to Verlander is that he hasn't exactly been the model of consistency recently. I'm not sure if I was a GM that traded for JV that I would know exactly what I was getting...

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 22, 2016 -> 11:28 AM)

Thing is, its more like $20M+ in savings. Sale would make $30M+ per year easy in FA.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Nov 22, 2016 -> 10:58 AM)
Thing is, its more like $20M+ in savings. Sale would make $30M+ per year easy in FA.

If Sale never signed his extension, he'd be a free agent right now in a pool with no other pitchers like him or even close. He would easily get an 8 year/$250 mill deal (Dodgers, Red Sox, Yankees, Cubs?)

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 22, 2016 -> 10:25 AM)

Plus Quintana isn't going to be slicing up uniforms in your locker room.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Nov 22, 2016 -> 12:42 PM)
Plus Quintana isn't going to be slicing up uniforms in your locker room.

He wouldn't have a major impact in Boston or LA but Sale is a much better box office/merchandise boom than Q for teams like Washington, Houston and Texas.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 22, 2016 -> 12:23 PM)
If Sale never signed his extension, he'd be a free agent right now in a pool with no other pitchers like him or even close. He would easily get an 8 year/$250 mill deal (Dodgers, Red Sox, Yankees, Cubs?)

Agree. Easy, no questions asked.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 22, 2016 -> 11:23 AM)

I just think the Red Sox would rather have a 40 million Sale on their roster with all of their spects than a $13 million Sale and a boatload gone.

Have to see on the rest. The dodgers did not re-sign Greinke after all.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 22, 2016 -> 01:07 PM)
I just think the Red Sox would rather have a 40 million Sale on their roster with all of their spects than a $13 million Sale and a boatload gone.

Have to see on the rest. The dodgers did not re-sign Greinke after all.

Greinke isn't a good example. He was a free agent at what, 32? Sale is 27.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 22, 2016 -> 01:14 PM)
Greinke isn't a good example. He was a free agent at what, 32? Sale is 27.

Right, more or less trying to figure out which of the teams in a Sale bidding war actually care about paying him top dollar vs. getting value.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 22, 2016 -> 02:18 PM)
Right, more or less trying to figure out which of the teams in a Sale bidding war actually care about paying him top dollar vs. getting value.

Never even thought about it like this, but you're probably right. We are all talking about how important the $ saved on Sale's contract is, but what's $20M to a billionaire in an uncapped sport? I'm guessing not a whole lot either.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 22, 2016 -> 03:01 PM)
I was told the Sox are planning on trading Sale and keeping Q.

Hopefully it's just posturing until Sale is traded and then they jump out and start dangling Q. Hopefully. Wouldn't surprise me though after seeing the Bulls and Sox be absolutely middle of the ground organizations for about 15 years. If you can get a similar but slightly lesser package for Q after trading Sale, you're goofy as hell to not do it. But I'm expecting a half-assed rebuild in typical Reinsdorf fashion. PROVE ME WRONG, JERRY!

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 22, 2016 -> 05:31 PM)
I didn't hear this as a "media type" or whatever. This is what someone around the team expects to happen. No posturing or manipulation.

:angry:

Well I guess nothing will truly change with the White Sox until we have new ownership (and a completely rebuilt front office).

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 22, 2016 -> 06:04 PM)
Not a guess, he's got information on the club's plans.

So we should expect Sale to get traded for the best package (even if it's less than what the front office and us fans originally wanted). Does he happen to know for sure which teams are having serious discussions with the Sox (I'm not talking about the ones we know in the media but maybe someone who hasn't been reported on)?

Edited by soxfan2014