SOURCE: 2 horse race between Dodgers and Astros

Carpe Diem

QUOTE (ChiSox1917 @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 08:28 PM)
That's the package that get's me interested.

Reed didn't do great in his call up this year in 120 ab's, but I watched him a lot last spring, and his power is very impressive. Ball just explodes off his bat when he connects. Still very young, only 23, and he made good contact in the minors with a good batting eye for balls and strikes. Bregman + Reed gives us 2/5 of our infield for the foreseeable future IMO.

If we want those 2 I think Frazier has to be included. Trading both would force them to move Gurriell to 3B and rely on a 1B platoon of Tyler White and Marwin Gonzalez. Frazier makes a lot of sense for them on a 1 year deal over older FA's and would only sweeten the package for us so obviously shouldn't be a problem. Just a matter of what pitching prospects we could also get...2 of Paulino, Musgrove, Whitley, or Martes would be amazing.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 03:58 PM)
I'm on the other end of the equation. Boston has 3 top 15 guys in Moncada/Benintendi/Devers. 2 more top 30-40 guys in Kopech and Groome. Tons of leftover former elite prospects as throw-ins with Swihart/Owens/Vazquez.

If Boston offered me 2 of Moncada/Devers/Benintendi + Kopech or Groome as the 3 headliners, I'm taking it.....Bregman/Tucker/Reed would be close. Urias/Bellinger/De Leon as well.

Devers has some of the best hit tool/power potential in the minors.

I like your thinking there. I have a feeling that ANY suggested trade for Sale to any team will have to go through Dave Dombrowski who will want last dibbs on him.

Dave D gets what he wants usually and he has never been shy about making a trade, even if it is unpopular. He knows that baseball, unlike other tean sports, is built around individual All-Star players, especially the extraordinary talents like Chris Sale. Sale in Fenway would be incredible and DD knows that.

And yes, it would take a package with Benintendi/Moncada,/Devers for Sale and Frazier or Jones.

I just don't understand why things can't be simple here.

Trade Sale + (Frazier maybe) for a Bergman / Reed / Tucker package + more

Trade Quintana + Abreu (or Jones or Melky) for a Beintindi (sp) + more package

Trades make a lot of sense on all sides and we get a loaded system. I mean, if I am Boston and I could get Abreu + Quintana, I'm taking that without a doubt!

Why is it far fetched to get Bregman and Springer for Sale. Bregman hasn't proven a thing at the MLB level and Springer isn't an untouchable superstar by any means. Sale is the top LH in the American, only 27, and tremendously underpaid. Those 2 are a starting point in my book. If Sale was on another team, people would be saying the Sox would have to offer Eaton, Anderson, and Rodon for starters.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Nov 25, 2016 -> 06:18 AM)
Why is it far fetched to get Bregman and Springer for Sale. Bregman hasn't proven a thing at the MLB level and Springer isn't an untouchable superstar by any means. Sale is the top LH in the American, only 27, and tremendously underpaid. Those 2 are a starting point in my book. If Sale was on another team, people would be saying the Sox would have to offer Eaton, Anderson, and Rodon for starters.

The Astros are in go for it mode, and would be cutting their own throat trading away 2 major offensive players. It's unrealistic to expect them to do that even though Sale is probably worth it.

Springer shouldn't be a key piece for the Sox anyway; good, not great, 4 years left, about to hit arb. His best position isn't a key defensive position. Like I said in another thread, he's like Swisher.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 25, 2016 -> 07:02 AM)
Why do some people who want Bregman want to play him at third? He'd be far more valuable at a middle infield position. He just played more 3B than second the last year and a half because of Correa and Altuve.

To me it depends on who they have at 3B if he plays 2B; or who they have at 2B if he plays 3B. Sox have a few guys who can play 2B, fewer who can play 3B (and one of those for 1 year only) and have come up with only 3 good 3B in the past 30 years.

Why do some people who want Bregman want to play him at third? He'd be far more valuable at a middle infield position. He just played more 3B than second the last year and a half because of Correa and Altuve.

You're right, he probably makes the most sense at 2B for us. In all honesty, we shouldn't play him at 3B to give lesser guys like Saladino or Sanchez the job at 2B. Play him where his best long-term fit and worry about the other position later. And while this is both a bit far-fetched and premature, Machado & Donaldson will be free agents after the 2018 season. We don't have to fill every spot with a long-term solutions immediately. If a rebuild is done right, we should have plenty of financial & prospect resources to plug holes in a few years.

Anderson so far has proven himself an excellent SS defensively, and he still has a lot of time to grow.

My guess is that if Sale gets dealt, Frazier is either signing an extension or being traded himself. If he is traded, we have a couple of kids who can hold down 2B, and none who can hold down 3B.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 25, 2016 -> 11:11 AM)
Anderson so far has proven himself an excellent SS defensively, and he still has a lot of time to grow.

My guess is that if Sale gets dealt, Frazier is either signing an extension or being traded himself. If he is traded, we have a couple of kids who can hold down 2B, and none who can hold down 3B.

Saladino can actually play a very good 3rd base.

QUOTE (Username @ Nov 25, 2016 -> 01:32 PM)
Probably already been talked about - but with the Astros looking at Napoli and other DH/1B types, you've gotta think Abreu is being discussed as well. Saves them a lot of money and it's easier for them to justify a Bregman starting point.

You lost me. Abreu will make considerably more ( $6-7 Mil) than Napoli next year.

Yea with Abreu opting into arbitration, there is no telling how much he will make next year and if the Astros would be saving money or not

QUOTE (Username @ Nov 25, 2016 -> 01:29 PM)
Unless Abreu is making 18-20 million via arbitration that's just not true. And regardless Abreu's contract is likely still much more favorable in its year to year setup than giving Napoli multiple years.

How much money do you think Napoli is going to make? The guy is about to turn 35 and had his best year in the past 5 seasons, is pretty much a DH only, I dont think anyone is going to be breaking the bank to sign him

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Nov 25, 2016 -> 06:18 AM)

Because in a full season, Springer was worth 4.5 WAR while Bregman was worth 1.0 WAR in 1/3 a season. Extrapolate that out to a full season, and Bregman's already a 3-WAR player. Sale is a 5-6 WAR pitcher. Do the math.

QUOTE (mataipaepae @ Nov 25, 2016 -> 12:31 PM)
Saladino can actually play a very good 3rd base.

It is also worth mentioning that Saladino has been fairly injury prone and has had back problems. I'd rather have my 3B set for 150 games, than to move Bregman from one to the other instead of moving him around with injuries.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 25, 2016 -> 03:14 PM)
It is also worth mentioning that Saladino has been fairly injury prone and has had back problems. I'd rather have my 3B set for 150 games, than to move Bregman from one to the other instead of moving him around with injuries.

You didn't say anything about injuries. Now you do? And I bet you had saladino as one of you 2nd base options.

QUOTE (mataipaepae @ Nov 25, 2016 -> 02:18 PM)
You didn't say anything about injuries. Now you do? And I bet you had saladino as one of you 2nd base options.

I do. But I would rather be stable at 3B than 2B. If it happens, I would rather have a guy like Bregman stable at one position, than to have him moving to another to accommodate. If Saladino were to get hurt, we have a guy like Carlos Sanchez who could step in at 2B much easier than 3B.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 25, 2016 -> 02:28 PM)
I do. But I would rather be stable at 3B than 2B. If it happens, I would rather have a guy like Bregman stable at one position, than to have him moving to another to accommodate. If Saladino were to get hurt, we have a guy like Carlos Sanchez who could step in at 2B much easier than 3B.

But why does it matter? Next year will be a lost season, might as well keep Bregman where he best fits long-term. If Sanchez or Davidson has to play some 3B, who really cares, neither of these guys is going to be a starter on our next competitive team.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 25, 2016 -> 02:31 PM)
But why does it matter? Next year will be a lost season, might as well keep Bregman where he best fits long-term. If Sanchez or Davidson has to play some 3B, who really cares, neither of these guys is going to be a starter on our next competitive team.

Why wouldn't he fit at 3B? Long term, that is his best value.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 25, 2016 -> 02:29 PM)
Yea with Abreu opting into arbitration, there is no telling how much he will make next year and if the Astros would be saving money or not

How much money do you think Napoli is going to make? The guy is about to turn 35 and had his best year in the past 5 seasons, is pretty much a DH only, I dont think anyone is going to be breaking the bank to sign him

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/10/jose...y-whitesox.html

Abreu won't get nearly the raise you're thinking of. Wouldn't surprise me if Napoli secured a fairly similar free agent contract to what Abreu will get the next 3 years after arbitration.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 25, 2016 -> 02:41 PM)
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/10/jose...y-whitesox.html

Abreu won't get nearly the raise you're thinking of. Wouldn't surprise me if Napoli secured a fairly similar free agent contract to what Abreu will get the next 3 years after arbitration.

i dont think Abreu is gonna get a huge raise, I just think Napoli isnt gonna be getting a big contract. Teams get sketchy when guys cross that 35 year threshold, and Napoli isnt exactly a sure thing nor is he a guy who you can put out on the field very much(if at all anymore)

And trading for Abreu doesnt tell me that you are saving a lot of money over signing Napoli if that is the Astros goal.