SOURCE: 2 horse race between Dodgers and Astros

Carpe Diem

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 12:09 AM)
Why do we want Devenski and why would they want to give him up? Just don't see the benefit of a rebuilding team acquiring a reliever as a key piece. Give me Reed instead and I'd make that deal in a heartbeat.

How is he a key piece? Because his name was listed second? I think that was done by the poster simply because he is the 2nd best major leaguer in that deal, the other 2 are prospects.

In 2015 he started 22 games and threw 139 innings. In 2016 with the Astros, he spot started 5 games and threw 108 innings. He's no more of a reliever than Hector Santiago was with us, and he's thrown 180+ IP each of the last 3 years.

At worst, Devenski could be a 2-3 IP at a time guy, and that's only if the Sox don't give him a rotation spot once they move Sale and Quintana.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

Devenski makes no sense because:

1) We already have Fulmer, Burdi, Stephens, Hansen and Adams for those innings (now and in the future). (Or Shields).

2) Taking him back would make the White Sox look a bit like they made a mistake in the first place.

3) You gamble on position players with higher ceilings/bust rates at the lower levels of the minors before trading for players on the major league roster that you're more than likely just going to try to flip anyway.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 12:22 AM)
How is he a key piece? Because his name was listed second? I think that was done by the poster simply because he is the 2nd best major leaguer in that deal, the other 2 are prospects.

In 2015 he started 22 games and threw 139 innings. In 2016 with the Astros, he spot started 5 games and threw 108 innings. He's no more of a reliever than Hector Santiago was with us, and he's thrown 180+ IP each of the last 3 years.

At worst, Devenski could be a 2-3 IP at a time guy, and that's only if the Sox don't give him a rotation spot once they move Sale and Quintana.

Because there are four total players in that proposed trade and he's an established major leaguer to some extent. We'd be forgoing a pretty decent prospect by including him in the trade. And quite frankly, I'm not buying him putting up anywhere close to those numbers again. He still may be a solid reliever, but I'm skeptical he'll ever be an elite one again. Like I said, I just don't see the point of having be a key piece in a Chris Sale trade.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 12:31 AM)
Devenski makes no sense because:

1) We already have Fulmer, Burdi, Stephens, Hansen and Adams for those innings (now and in the future). (Or Shields).

2) Taking him back would make the White Sox look a bit like they made a mistake in the first place.

3) You gamble on position players with higher ceilings/bust rates at the lower levels of the minors before trading for players on the major league roster that you're more than likely just going to try to flip anyway.

While #2 is nonsense, I agree with you on #1 & #3. We have much bigger needs to worry about than middle relief.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 12:33 AM)
Because there are four total players in that proposed trade and he's an established major leaguer to some extent. We'd be forgoing a pretty decent prospect by including him in the trade. And quite frankly, I'm not buying him putting up anywhere close to those numbers again. He still may be a solid reliever, but I'm skeptical he'll ever be an elite one again. Like I said, I just don't see the point of having be a key piece in a Chris Sale trade.

How the hell do you know?

So if Luhnow comes calling with the deal, Hahn's reaction should be.... "Well, we obviously love Bregman, he's legit. Martes and Tucker are two great prospects we'd love to have.....BUT DEVENSKI? f*** YOU BRO. YUCKY POO POO, NEVER CALL ME AGAIN!"

So fine, swap out Devenski for their 15th best prospect, it's nothing worth being so hung up over.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 11:55 PM)
Bregman, Devenski, Martes and Kyle Tucker for Sale.

Remove Devenski for Musgrove and add in AJ Reed, and I'd pull the trigger right now. Huge ask, but you have to ask the sky for a player like Sale.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 12:44 AM)
AJ Reed would be a interesting buy-low candidate. I wonder how they value him at this point.

Absolutely. The guy's put up absolute monster numbers in the minors without too absurd of a K rate, considering the power.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 12:41 AM)
How the hell do you know?

So if Luhnow comes calling with the deal, Hahn's reaction should be.... "Well, we obviously love Bregman, he's legit. Martes and Tucker are two great prospects we'd love to have.....BUT DEVENSKI? f*** YOU BRO. YUCKY POO POO, NEVER CALL ME AGAIN!"

So fine, swap out Devenski for their 15th best prospect, it's nothing worth being so hung up over.

Well Devenski just put up a 2.8 fWAR season, so I'm pretty confident they'd sell him as an important piece. Having said that, I don't see why a contending team would want to give up a key reliever in the first place.

And I'm not sure what the point of your mock conversation is. Like I said, give me a different piece than Devenski. If I were Hahn I'd demand someone like A.J Reed instead. This is called negotiations, you don't have to take the first offer like your little mock conversation suggests.

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 12:53 AM)
Absolutely. The guy's put up absolute monster numbers in the minors without too absurd of a K rate, considering the power.

Yeah, his track record in the minors is such that I would love to take a bite on him as a rebuilding team. But again, it really depends on how the Astros view him. Would need an insider or industry source to shed light on that since it's hard to know just by going off his wildly disagreeing numbers.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 01:00 AM)
Yeah, his track record in the minors is such that I would love to take a bite on him as a rebuilding team. But again, it really depends on how the Astros view him. Would need an insider or industry source to shed light on that since it's hard to know just by going off his wildly disagreeing numbers.

Word on the street is that they're looking at 1B/DH options like Napoli and Beltran.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 11:12 PM)
My dream trade with the Astros is Sale for Bregman, Reed, Tucker, Paulino, & Stubbs. That would be an absolute haul IMO, alllowing us to fill three holes (2B, 1B, & SP) immediately and potentially have CF & C solutions down the road.

Why no Martes?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 01:12 AM)
My dream trade with the Astros is Sale for Bregman, Reed, Tucker, Paulino, & Stubbs. That would be an absolute haul IMO, alllowing us to fill three holes (2B, 1B, & SP) immediately and potentially have CF & C solutions down the road.

You got any info on Stubbs you can share? I keep hearing his name mentioned in potential Astros packages.

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 01:38 AM)
Thanks man. Intriguing...Johnny Bench award/Pac 12 DPOTY. Has produced solidly for a catcher thus far.

My favorite part about him is his incredible control of the strike zone. Only one time, at any level, did he strike out more than he walked. Overall he's played 142 minor league games and has 74 BB to only 63 K.

Don't count out the Rangers also making a serious bid for Sale. Darvish will be a free agent soon and they'd like to max his last year by adding Sale and making a very serious run this year.

The 2 horse race will have at least 4 teams running neck and neck down the stretch. This race has only just reached the 1/4 pole .

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 02:02 AM)
Word on the street is that they're looking at 1B/DH options like Napoli and Beltran.

Supposedly Red Sox and Yankees are interested in Beltran but have stiff competition for him since he is probably a 1 year contract guy.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 10:22 AM)
Don't count out the Rangers also making a serious bid for Sale. Darvish will be a free agent soon and they'd like to max his last year by adding Sale and making a very serious run this year.

The 2 horse race will have at least 4 teams running neck and neck down the stretch. This race has only just reached the 1/4 pole .

Texas doesn't have enough to trade to seriously compete with these other teams. They've traded away a lot of prospects in recent years. Gallo and Profar should only have so much value so they don't work as headliners. It would have to be something like Mazara, Gallo, Profar, and Yohander Mendez to beat out a Dodgers, Astros, or Red Sox offer. And I can't see them logically trading those 3 guys they need on offense for 1 pitcher, regardless of how great Sale is.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 09:22 AM)

Just don't see what the Rangers could offer that bests the Astros, Dodgers, or Red Sox. I'd basically need Odor, Mazara, Gallo, & a couple of their best pitching prospects and simply don't see them moving two guys off their major league roster.

Texas really blew it because they traded away a lot of talent to get Lucroy & Beltran. They could have probably built a package if they still had all those prospects.

Edited by Chicago White Sox