Carson Fulmer

hi8is

You still try to develop him as a starter. The problem is his consistentency with his mechanics. That has been an issue since day 1 and hasn't changed. That's why majority of the baseball Industry believes he will be a reliever. Fulmer mechanics with his breaking ball and fastball command is a big concern. For me I believe there is a 10% chance of making it as a starter. Eratic mechanics, fastball command, and development of his breaking ball are reasons that puts him in the bullpen.

Edited by PolishPrince34

I pretty much agree with what everyone else has said so far. He should be starting, in AAA, to give him a nice long look in that role. He was moved up so quick, he was with the Sox while still tweaking his delivery. Give him at least a few months in his final version of delivery, and see what he can do. I think he's still got a decent shot to start, so you absolutely chase that first. I wouldn't go bullpen until 2018, probably.

This is a tough call.

If he is to start, he's got to smooth out his mechanics. From what I read, they tried, it wasn't working, so he reverted to his old mechanics and did better.

At this point, I'd say that if they think he can be a great reliever, keep him there, and try to move him in July for a premium.

If the prognosis is good/not great reliever, then go back to square one and work on the delivery and starting, perhaps in A or AA.

I would look at Burdi the same way. Apparently they do think he can be a great reliever, so maybe pitch him to move him. If not, step back and work him as a starter as well.

If it doesn't work out for either, they can go back to relief.

As an aside, if Burdi and Fulmer are to be great relievers, then the Sox would have quite a 3 headed late-inning pen with Jones, Burdi and Fulmer.

Edited by GreenSox

It will be interesting to see what the Sox do with both Fulmer & Burdi. I strongly believe the Sox will be trading Sale, Gonzalez, & Robertson this offseason, leaving them with only Quintana, Rodon, & Shields in the rotation and only Jones as a true back-end reliever. And while I expect the Sox to a major league ready pitcher to step in for Sale, there should still be an opening in the rotation and the need for a high leverage reliever. Based on how this front office has operated in the past, it's got to be extremely tempting for the Sox use Fulmer & Burdi to plug these holes. However, I think both should start 2017 in AAA and be used as starters. Fulmer clearly wasn't ready for the majors last year and I don't want to see up until he proves himself in AAA in addition to his service resetting to the point where 2017 doesn't count as full year of control. As for Burdi, the Sox should try to do everything in their power to make him a starter before settling for a reliever. Even if the experiment ultimately fails, it will be good for the development of his secondary offerings and gets him some more seasoning.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 25, 2016 -> 08:45 AM)
Yeah nothing wrong with "just" being a reliever nowadays. He can be very valuable to the team as either the closer or a multi inning reliever. Obviously the pitching coaches and scouts would know best, but just seems like a square peg in round hole trying to make him a starter to me.

It's fine if he ultimately ends up as a reliever, but we're going to need starters from somewhere and he's still our best hope of becoming one at the moment. Let's give him every opportunity to become one in 2017. Next year should be a lost season, so having a compentant bullpen should be the least of our problems.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 25, 2016 -> 10:00 AM)
It's fine if he ultimately ends up as a reliever, but we're going to need starters from somewhere and he's still our best hope of becoming one at the moment. Let's give him every opportunity to become one in 2017. Next year should be a lost season, so having a compentant bullpen should be the least of our problems.

We'll agree to disagree. I haven't thought Fulmer was a SP since the draft. Everything about him from his stuff, delivery, and even demeanor scream reliever to me. Hopefully he proves me wrong though....

I also believe that there is a point of no return for a pitcher. If you throw him out there and have him beat up as a starter there could be repercussions as far as confidence. Obviously guys have become good relievers after failing as starters, I just don't want to mess around with a guy that was such a high pick. Figure out the best role for him and stick with it. It would be a mistake if there are questions about him being a starter but he gets kept there just to try and maximize his value in my opinion.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Nov 25, 2016 -> 07:11 AM)
You still try to develop him as a starter. The problem is his consistentency with his mechanics. That has been an issue since day 1 and hasn't changed. That's why majority of the baseball Industry believes he will be a reliever. Fulmer mechanics with his breaking ball and fastball command is a big concern. For me I believe there is a 10% chance of making it as a starter. Eratic mechanics, fastball command, and development of his breaking ball are reasons that puts him in the bullpen.

I agree with most of what you said...but come on

.. a 10% chance to stick as a starter? With his combination of stuff/make up/competitiveness? Mechanics aren't everything in the world. The guy was rushed to the Majors by a year or 2 by this crazy organization we love. He's still 22 years old. If he hasn't made legitimate progress in the next year or 2, okay. He needs time to actually develop his fastball command and get a chance to smooth out his mechanics. Just because he was a college pitcher doesn't mean he was MLB ready when we drafted him. Just like Rodon, who shouldn't have sniffed the Majors in 2015.

All this being said, I'd be a huge fan of him in a multiple-inning reliever role. I'm just not close to writing him off as the starter many of us envisioned him being (he's had his skeptics the whole time) before the 2016 campaign.

Edited by Ro Da Don

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 25, 2016 -> 12:26 PM)
If the Sox sell pitching, they will not have much of a choice but to have Fulmer starting in the majors, just by a pure numbers game.

I don't think that's the case. Part of any rebuild is making the decision to protect certain key prospects that are part of "the plan", which in this case means they'd go get some scrap heap guys, combined with a few of last year's AAA guys that are fringe prospects or AAAA guys, and finding stopgaps for the rotation.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 25, 2016 -> 03:26 PM)
I don't think that's the case. Part of any rebuild is making the decision to protect certain key prospects that are part of "the plan", which in this case means they'd go get some scrap heap guys, combined with a few of last year's AAA guys that are fringe prospects or AAAA guys, and finding stopgaps for the rotation.

Man, and there are some real Coop'll fix 'em candidates out there on the free agent market this year. The kind of guys you get a couple good months out of then flip at the deadline. Ya know, like, John Danks, Dan Hudson, Jake Peavy, Edwin Jackson types. I really think Coop could wring some values out of those guys.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 25, 2016 -> 01:26 PM)

Burdi? Sure. I think Fulmer breaks camp with the Sox.

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Nov 25, 2016 -> 09:43 AM)
I agree with most of what you said...but come on

.. a 10% chance to stick as a starter? With his combination of stuff/make up/competitiveness? Mechanics aren't everything in the world. The guy was rushed to the Majors by a year or 2 by this crazy organization we love. He's still 22 years old. If he hasn't made legitimate progress in the next year or 2, okay. He needs time to actually develop his fastball command and get a chance to smooth out his mechanics. Just because he was a college pitcher doesn't mean he was MLB ready when we drafted him. Just like Rodon, who shouldn't have sniffed the Majors in 2015.

All this being said, I'd be a huge fan of him in a multiple-inning reliever role. I'm just not close to writing him off as the starter many of us envisioned him being (he's had his skeptics the whole time) before the 2016 campaign.

Just because he has great makeup and competitiveness doesn't mean he will make it as a starter. I look how Fulmer only threw 52% first strike, BB/9 5.28 in AA and 5.40 Majors, Hard Contact 29.4%, 92% medium/hard contact, slugged .571 off his Fastball. I know Fulmer was rushed and should of never been brought up. Back to his days to Vanderbilt always thought his profile was solid reliever. Again I was disappointed when the Sox selected Fulmer at #8 knowing their were so many questions whether he can make it as a starter. They have to continue try developing him as a starter, but all indications point to him ending up in the bullpen.

Edited by PolishPrince34

QUOTE (maggliopipe @ Nov 25, 2016 -> 02:21 PM)
Man, and there are some real Coop'll fix 'em candidates out there on the free agent market this year. The kind of guys you get a couple good months out of then flip at the deadline. Ya know, like, John Danks, Dan Hudson, Jake Peavy, Edwin Jackson types. I really think Coop could wring some values out of those guys.

Hudson has to be a short reliever after two TJ surgeries.

Danks? No way. Peavy or Jackson...why not, although Jackson has the better stuff at this point. Not sure Peavy fits in a rebuilding atmosphere but might have no choice if he wants a big league job.