White Sox mocked in RedEye

caulfield12

5. White Sox

Since winning it all just over a decade ago, the team has imploded so spectacularly that even its few loyal fans have since applied for conscientious objector status. The Apathy-O-Meter at Guaranteed Rate Field seems permanently stuck at 11.

I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention that the Sox actually did bring home hardware in 2016, as they were awarded the coveted Guinness Book of World Records plaque for most dogs attending a sporting event.

I think the front office needs to come to terms with the fact that canine Sox fans might outnumber human ones. For a team near the bottom of the standings in both wins and attendance, it’s hard to argue against running the Bark at the Park promotion more often—although I’m not sure PETA would let the poor pups be subjected to more than nine innings of Sox baseball.

http://www.redeyechicago.com/sports/redeye...mp;noRedirect=1

The Sox deserve all the mocking. If they don't acquire the right young players, this rebuild may be mocked as well. I can't believe the Sox don't a.) hire the best proven manager possible and b.) go the free agent route to fill holes with GOOD players. If we had an excellent manager and just a few more good players, we'd be a perennial playoff team. Now we have to have this manager 3-4 years during the rebuild. My hope is someday we hire a difference maker manager like Maddon or Francona.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 01:13 AM)
The Sox deserve all the mocking. If they don't acquire the right young players, this rebuild may be mocked as well. I can't believe the Sox don't a.) hire the best proven manager possible and b.) go the free agent route to fill holes with GOOD players. If we had an excellent manager and just a few more good players, we'd be a perennial playoff team. Now we have to have this manager 3-4 years during the rebuild. My hope is someday we hire a difference maker manager like Maddon or Francona.

Says the guy who consistently berates GMs for giving free agents too much money.

Holy crap, that's the key? Just get GOOD players? Why the hell haven't we been doing this all along?

It's almost like that theory about scoring more runs than the other team. We should test that one out next season as well.

Get GOOD players.

Score more runs than other teams.

Win.

It's so simple! :o

Don't mean to cut down the whole thread but, we really gonna use a snarky redeye article as something to feel victimized over? Who cares.

Also - this is no different than what we ourselves have been saying about sox, not sure why writers should prop us up for no reason.

Edited by bmags

Go ahead, sign a few GOOD free agents. You'd still have the JB Shucks and Leury Garcias of the world coming up when a Cespedes or Fowler or whoever gets hurt. Signing a few good free agents does nothing to address our dire situation of a lack of legitimate depth that could contribute.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 07:18 AM)
Don't mean to cut down the whole thread but, we really gonna use a snarky redeye article as something to feel victimized over? Who cares.

Also - this is no different than what we ourselves have been saying about sox, not sure why writers should prop us up for no reason.

This. Considering the Cubs just won the World Series I am actually delighted that all the Sale trade speculation is dominating the hot stove .

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 09:18 AM)

This.

I'm sorry their article made you upset enough to make a thread about this.