Milwaukee signs Eric Thames

Jose Abreu

Obviously it isn't nearly the same money, but I think the Korean market is going to adjust like the Cuban market will. A few guys have success, and suddenly everyone with decent numbers gets paid. Abreu made a lot of guys a lot of money who really sucked. The same thing is going to happen with the Korean league guys IMO. Thames was a AAAA player when he was here before. Now all of a sudden because of 3 or 4 years beating lesser competition he is an entirely different player? Maybe, but I would really doubt it. I wouldn't want to be tied to him for 3 years.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 09:36 AM)
Does it? Morneau is a LHB. Carter is RH.

Eh older and likely DH only cheap bats. You already have half of a market. Are any of the bigger teams that need a DH going to roll with Morneau / Carter? There's only a few teams that are going to spring for them so any added similar player hurts.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 09:21 AM)
A 30 year old who strikes out a ton and doesn't walk at all? Why?

His K and BB numbers were pretty good in Korea, although that league is much easier to hit in.

I still wish the Sox would've taken a chance on him though. He's the exact type of player that would be great in a rebuild.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 09:24 AM)
Carter available really undercuts Morneaus market. Wonder if we roll with Avi or sign one of these guys.

Carter would be a decent pickup for this team if they are rebuilding, sign him on a short term deal and flip for a prospect at the deadline for a team that needs some RH power.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 11:08 AM)
His K and BB numbers were pretty good in Korea, although that league is much easier to hit in.

I still wish the Sox would've taken a chance on him though. He's the exact type of player that would be great in a rebuild.

Is it? I'd rather give Liriano, Avi or Coats those ABs if we're going full rebuild (doubt that'll happen).

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 10:10 AM)
Is it? I'd rather give Liriano, Avi or Coats those ABs if we're going full rebuild (doubt that'll happen).

We are talking about DH at bats. Avi may be our DH of future but don't really care if we decide he's done. We will need some major league players on the team next year.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 10:15 AM)
We are talking about DH at bats. Avi may be our DH of future but don't really care if we decide he's done. We will need some major league players on the team next year.

This. Avi is what he is and I don't think Coats is anything more than a 4th outfielder. I'd like to give Liriano a shot, but there definitely would have been a spot for Thames as well.

I don't know why you'd non-tender a guy with an .821 OPS last year for a 30 year old former-AAAA player who dominated the Korean league (which is still an unknown as far as actual talent translation), but I can say I'm glad I'm not a Brewers fan.

Carter would be a good pickup for the Sox as DH while rebuilding. Hell I'd even think he's a solid addition if they decide to go for it again for some reason (please don't).

QUOTE (almagest @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 11:26 AM)
I don't know why you'd non-tender a guy with an .821 OPS last year for a 30 year old former-AAAA player who dominated the Korean league (which is still an unknown as far as actual talent translation), but I can say I'm glad I'm not a Brewers fan.

Carter would be a good pickup for the Sox as DH while rebuilding. Hell I'd even think he's a solid addition if they decide to go for it again for some reason (please don't).

Apparently they thought he would make 8-9 million in arbitration so it's just to save $4 million.

QUOTE (almagest @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 11:26 AM)

They have zero chance of passing the cubs, Pirates or Cardinals any time soon and with the cubs success, although they get the 9 sell outs when they play the world series champs this year.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 10:22 AM)
This. Avi is what he is and I don't think Coats is anything more than a 4th outfielder. I'd like to give Liriano a shot, but there definitely would have been a spot for Thames as well.

While I agree Avi most likely is what he is, it's hard for me to completely write off a 25 year old with his power-potential, greatly improved hit speed and launch angles in 2016, and his first year using a much-needed revamped swing. I want to see one more year before I'm ready to move on from him.

I really want to see what Rymer can do as well. He's never really had a true chance due to injuries. Someone said the other day that Coats seems like a AAAA type player, which I wholeheartedly agree with.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 09:19 AM)
God f***ing damn. I wanted the Sox to sign him so badly.

You're trolling right? Do you remember watching him play? The guy was garbage. Essentially a carbon copy of Avisail Garcia. A couple good years against what is the equivalent of low level MiLB is not going to change that.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 01:35 PM)
You're trolling right? Do you remember watching him play? The guy was garbage. Essentially a carbon copy of Avisail Garcia. A couple good years against what is the equivalent of low level MiLB is not going to change that.

Why would I be trolling? The KBO, while more hitter friendly than MLB, isn't t-ball. He put up MVP numbers there. Comparing him from 5 years ago to now is ridiculous. A 25 year old with no experience and a 30 year old with plenty of experience are completely different entities.

He is worth the $5 million a year gamble and it wouldn't surprise me if he put up really good numbers in Milwaukee. He was the perfect fit for the Sox and they passed on him.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 02:47 PM)
Why would I be trolling? The KBO, while more hitter friendly than MLB, isn't t-ball. He put up MVP numbers there. Comparing him from 5 years ago to now is ridiculous. A 25 year old with no experience and a 30 year old with plenty of experience are completely different entities.

He is worth the $5 million a year gamble and it wouldn't surprise me if he put up really good numbers in Milwaukee. He was the perfect fit for the Sox and they passed on him.

If he were 27, 28, 29 years old putting up those numbers in A+ or AA ball would you be so willing to guarantee him $15M? Because that is what he essentially did. There are many fringe AAAA/MLB players that go over to Japan and Korea and dominate and why so many Asian players come over here and fail. The top talent is similar in ability, the bottom talent is many levels lower than MLB.

• 2 weeks later...