White Sox Not Willing to Trade with Cubs

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (QuickJones81 @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 06:45 PM)
I'm OK with the White Sox blackballing the Cubs when it comes to trading for one simple reason, I have zero faith that Hahn/Kenny can win a deal with Theo on the other end. Zero.

I don't have faith that Williams and Hahn can win a deal from any GM except maybe Jockety. But they should be able to get a good return that may turn out to be a great return.

Even if you don't want to deal with the Cubs, just be polite and take their calls...you don't need to affirmatively tell them that.

I would avoid the Nats as well; they aren't giving up Turner, they don't have that many prospects, so there is very little room for error. Rizzo would probably make mincemeat out of Hahn.

Edited by GreenSox

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 05:48 PM)
I still don't know how they got Addison Russell and Jake Arrieta. for dregach.

They got Addison Russell because Billy Beane was desperate at the trade deadline.

They got Jake Arrietta because Jesse Crain failed a physical.

This franchise continues to think small. Penny smart pound foolish. Who gives a s*** if you improve the Cubs? Improve your own damn selves and give yourself the best hand possible in doing so. Eliminating a team that craves elite SP while also having a deep talented farm is dumb, who gives a s*** where they play.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 05:51 PM)
Yes, he is. This has been stated multiple times.

Uh, no he isn't...LOL..I have listened to Boars and Bernstein for years . I met Bernstein and had a good talk with him and no he isn't a "Sox fan."

He and Boars have mocked the Sox for years and hate Ken Williams and Ken Harrelson.

Show me evidence other than Bernstein or someone else simply claiming his is Sox fan.

Have you seen him at a game? Have you seen him wearing a Sox hat around town? Heve you ever heard Boars & Bernstein have anything but snark to say about the White Sox? link?

Edited by miracleon35th

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 08:03 PM)
Uh, no he isn't...LOL..I have listened to Boars and Bernstein for years . I met Bernstein and had a good talk with him and no he isn't a "Sox fan."

He and Boars have mocked the Sox for years and hate Ken Williams and Ken Harrelson.

Show me evidence other than Bernstein or someone else simply claiming his is Sox fan.

Have you seen him at a game? Have you seen him wearing a Sox hat around town? Heve you ever heard Boars & Bernstein have anything but snark to say about the White Sox? link?

As have I, It's been mentioned numerous times on air. All the envidence you need for that is in their podcasts. Because you mock something doesn't necessarily mean that you aren't a fan of said thing being mocked. Hating KW or Hawk is pretty common on this board if you've read some of the past threads, so none of those posters are Sox fans?? what good do any of us have to really say about the state of the white sox in the last decade? There's not really a whole lot to go on at the current moment. Does someone have to scream from rooftops until they're lips turn blue that they're a sox fan to prove their fandom? Some people aren't the go-hard fanboys to wear gear all the time. This argument is dumb and doesn't have anything to do with the White Sox, which is what I'd rather talk about anyways . Young Danny B

“Given our situation, you had two active sellers in our division, one active seller in our city, and so it’s really hard to do deals with those teams,” Hoyer said, referencing the Brewers, Reds and White Sox. “There’s probably a tax you have to pay or not be able to get a deal done.

“It’s hard. There are discussions that go on, but we also have discussions with the teams in our division. You just don’t see a lot of trades in divisions — not only our division, but other divisions. And having the multiple teams in the same city, I do think that’s a challenge. I think that there’s going to be a lot more focus or scrutiny on a deal that’s made between (the Cubs and White Sox). At some level, I think that both teams are aware of that. I think when we were sellers (in years past), we had some awareness of that, and I’m sure on the other side of town, there’s some awareness of that as well. I wouldn’t say never. There might be a deal that makes sense someday, but (the White Sox) are certainly not a team we look at as a likely trade partner.”

For two, it’d be quite the departure from past beliefs for White Sox general manager Rick Hahn to senselessly throw away potential leverage. He’s regarded around the game as an intelligent executive.

"If we were to suddenly remove potential suitors from the market for our players, I don’t see how that necessarily enhances our ability to do what’s best for the White Sox,” Hahn said in summer 2015 about a potential trade with the Cubs.

Maybe this whole thing is being overblown.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/11/29/whi...l-some-context/

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 08:53 PM)
As have I, It's been mentioned numerous times on air. All the envidence you need for that is in their podcasts. Because you mock something doesn't necessarily mean that you aren't a fan of said thing being mocked. Hating KW or Hawk is pretty common on this board if you've read some of the past threads, so none of those posters are Sox fans?? what good do any of us have to really say about the state of the white sox in the last decade? There's not really a whole lot to go on at the current moment. Does someone have to scream from rooftops until they're lips turn blue that they're a sox fan to prove their fandom? Some people aren't the go-hard fanboys to wear gear all the time. This argument is dumb and doesn't have anything to do with the White Sox, which is what I'd rather talk about anyways . Young Danny B

Isn't it curious that people have to claim that he is? I didn't, I just responded with my opinion ....he isn't. You disagree. OK.

The state of the White Sox in the last decade? How about the state of the cubs in the last century before they won it in the 9th inning of game 7, against Cleveland? The point is, winning the WS isn't what makes people fans of a team. It's about more than winning or there wouldn't be 30 major league teams in the league.

You think there isn't a whole lot to go on now,? I disagree with you on that as well.. I am excited about any possible trades and how they will work out. There has been way too much piling on by critics of the White Sox and too much spiking the ball in the endzone by cub fans. Those of us who are true Sox fans look the other way and look forward to Opening Day 2017.

Edited by miracleon35th

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 10:02 PM)
Isn't it curious that people have to claim that he is? I didn't, I just responded with my opinion ....he isn't. You disagree. OK.

The state of the White Sox in the last decade? How about the state of the cubs in the last century before they won it in the 9th inning of game 7, against Cleveland? The point is, winning the WS isn't what makes people fans of a team. It's about more than winning or there wouldn't be 30 major league teams in the league.

You think there isn't a whole lot to go on now,? I disagree with you on that as well.. I am excited about any possible trades and how they will work out. There has been way too much piling on by critics of the White Sox and too much spiking the ball in the endzone by cub fans. Those of us who are true Sox fans look the other way and look forward to Opening Day 2017.

LOL Dan Bernstein being a Sox fan isn't something that can be agreed or disagreed about. He's talked about being a Sox fan for years. I've talked about Sox related stuff with him multiple times at remotes. You're wrong here but hey whatever.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 11:34 PM)
LOL Dan Bernstein being a Sox fan isn't something that can be agreed or disagreed about. He's talked about being a Sox fan for years. I've talked about Sox related stuff with him multiple times at remotes. You're wrong here but hey whatever.

I can't believe we are arguing the fandom of a radio personality. Dan Bernstein is a White Sox fan. It's not a debate.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 02:44 PM)
"Kenny Williams getting ripped by Sox fans? Not in this lifetime." - Someone in Bridgeport, circa November 2005

(Granted, given the Cubs resources, it would be downright shocking if they only made the playoffs once from now until 2027)

I wouldn't trade 2005 for anything (inb4 multiple people say i'm not a sox fan). But what the Cubs pulled off is so much more impressive than the Sox it's not even funny. They were AT THE BOTTOM. They came up with a plan, TOLD people that it would be rough at the beginning, and then proceeded to executed it to perfection. Sure, you'll always have a few retards. But a Cubs fan at this point talking s*** about ANYTHING the front office does? I mean. I can't. I just can't.

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 09:39 PM)
Maybe this whole thing is being overblown.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/11/29/whi...l-some-context/

It likely is, but that doesn't make for good "bash the FO" material. I can see both sides of the argument here. Using them for leverage is not a bad idea, but other GMs aren't stupid, they know the White Sox are unlikely to deal with the Cubs and vice versa, so it's not really that much leverage. At the same time, Hoyer is absolutely right that he'd have to pay a premium to get what he wants from the White Sox, because as much as the "maturity crowd" and "Chicago fans" here don't want to admit it, the Cubs succeeding is bad for the White Sox from a pure business perspective. I'll give them that the degree of bad depends on how well the White Sox are doing, but even if the two teams were the two best in baseball, having another successful team in your market limits your access to potential revenue streams.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Nov 30, 2016 -> 08:15 AM)
It likely is, but that doesn't make for good "bash the FO" material. I can see both sides of the argument here. Using them for leverage is not a bad idea, but other GMs aren't stupid, they know the White Sox are unlikely to deal with the Cubs and vice versa, so it's not really that much leverage. At the same time, Hoyer is absolutely right that he'd have to pay a premium to get what he wants from the White Sox, because as much as the "maturity crowd" and "Chicago fans" here don't want to admit it, the Cubs succeeding is bad for the White Sox from a pure business perspective. I'll give them that the degree of bad depends on how well the White Sox are doing, but even if the two teams were the two best in baseball, having another successful team in your market limits your access to potential revenue streams.

The other thing is the Cubs would want to base a deal around a guy like Soler.

For some reason Baez is untouchable, and Schwarber, he of the 8 career hits vs. LHP, is destined for Cooperstown.

Jed said they would have to pay a "tax", and implied the White Sox would have had to pay a "tax" with them. So I guess the Cubs are just as childish.

I said this in another thread, but it's entirely possible the Sox just don't think they match up with the Cubs, if the Cubs aren't willing to deal certain younger guys off their major league roster.

If the Cubs actually made a big / the best offer on a guy like Sale, I have a hard time believing the Sox would say no just because they're the Cubs.

Edited by bighurt574

In other news, Lyft is gonna make a deal with Uber that will help Uber crush the competition even more. Lyft does not care that the money pot will favor Uber even more and customers who are fed up with them will move on to Uber the nearest competitor.

In all seriousness though we should not have let this leak. We could have felt this way and just used the scrubs as leverage.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Nov 30, 2016 -> 08:43 AM)
I said this in another thread, but it's entirely possible the Sox just don't think they match up with the Cubs, if the Cubs aren't willing to deal certain younger guys off their major league roster.

If the Cubs actually made a big / the best offer on a guy like Sale, I have a hard time believing the Sox would say no just because they're the Cubs.

Not true. This is why teams don't trade within divisions often, unless the players traded are insignificant. The Cubs happen to play in the same city and both teams compete over money, attention, players, and fans. Unless the Cubs send the greatest trade back of all time it's not gonna happen.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Nov 30, 2016 -> 12:54 PM)
Not true. This is why teams don't trade within divisions often, unless the players traded are insignificant. The Cubs happen to play in the same city and both teams compete over money, attention, players, and fans. Unless the Cubs send the greatest trade back of all time it's not gonna happen.

The White Sox helping the Tigers to obtain Iglessias while we watch Avi try and play baseball is reminder enough of the risk of trading within your division.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Nov 30, 2016 -> 11:01 AM)
The White Sox helping the Tigers to obtain Iglessias while we watch Avi try and play baseball is reminder enough of the risk of trading within your division.

I can tell you that 100% of my frustration resulting from that trade is the failure of our scouting of Avi, and 0% the production of the pieces the other teams, inside our division or otherwise, received back.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Nov 30, 2016 -> 01:54 PM)

Serious question for you "don't trade with the cubs" people. Has there ever been evidence to suggest the city can't support two winning baseball teams? You spend so much time citing business competition when

1) there have been multiple instances where the city has supported two winning baseball teams

2) the MLB is a franchised based model which allows the Sox to survive in concert with the Cubs.

The only thing that the White Sox need to worry about is winning. The fans show up when they win. It is financially and operationally irresponsible to leave out a team in a different league as a trade partner.

In a sense, it is NOTHING like dealing with a divisional rival, as their success is tied to our failure. That is not the case with the Cubs.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Nov 30, 2016 -> 02:35 PM)
Serious question for you "don't trade with the cubs" people. Has there ever been evidence to suggest the city can't support two winning baseball teams? You spend so much time citing business competition when

1) there have been multiple instances where the city has supported two winning baseball teams

2) the MLB is a franchised based model which allows the Sox to survive in concert with the Cubs.

The only thing that the White Sox need to worry about is winning. The fans show up when they win. It is financially and operationally irresponsible to leave out a team in a different league as a trade partner.

In a sense, it is NOTHING like dealing with a divisional rival, as their success is tied to our failure. That is not the case with the Cubs.

Well your point is moot because the Sox will be one of the worst teams in baseball when they trade their players away. Since the Sox will be bad they cannot afford to help the Cubs build a dynasty and steal away Sox fans. If the Cubs go on a Blackhawks run right now the Sox are toast. If the Sox were a playoff team without needing Sale things would be different.