White Sox Not Willing to Trade with Cubs

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 30, 2016 -> 04:44 PM)

There are so many teams in on Sale that I cannot see the Cubs being the team that emerges with the best overall package given the long term ramifications. If the Cubs want Sale, they can have him...but they must be the highest bidder in a costly market

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Nov 30, 2016 -> 02:35 PM)
Serious question for you "don't trade with the cubs" people. Has there ever been evidence to suggest the city can't support two winning baseball teams? You spend so much time citing business competition when

1) there have been multiple instances where the city has supported two winning baseball teams

2) the MLB is a franchised based model which allows the Sox to survive in concert with the Cubs.

The only thing that the White Sox need to worry about is winning. The fans show up when they win. It is financially and operationally irresponsible to leave out a team in a different league as a trade partner.

In a sense, it is NOTHING like dealing with a divisional rival, as their success is tied to our failure. That is not the case with the Cubs.

Simple economics. Say a person, let's call him "Soxtalk poster Deadpool", spends $250 on something Cubs related (gear, tickets to a game, concessions at the game, a ride down the urinal trough at Wrigley, whatever). Now "Soxtalk poster Deadpool" does not have that $250 anymore, and cannot spend it on White Sox related things. The Cubs existence took the possibility of the White Sox getting "Soxtalk poster Deadpool"'s $250. They may not have gotten it anyway, but now there's a 0% chance instead of a >0% chance.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Nov 30, 2016 -> 05:00 PM)
Simple economics. Say a person, let's call him "Soxtalk poster Deadpool", spends $250 on something Cubs related (gear, tickets to a game, concessions at the game, a ride down the urinal trough at Wrigley, whatever). Now "Soxtalk poster Deadpool" does not have that $250 anymore, and cannot spend it on White Sox related things. The Cubs existence took the possibility of the White Sox getting "Soxtalk poster Deadpool"'s $250. They may not have gotten it anyway, but now there's a 0% chance instead of a >0% chance.

Lmao well there ya go.

Not trading with the Cubs is silly but I don't see why Hahn had to say anything.

And do the Cubs have the prospects the Sox want anyway?

They've hyped Schwarber to the gills, and even if the hype were legit, he's still a DH.

they've also hyped Soler ...but no one's buying that one.

What is the deal the Sox could get from the Cubs that it couldn't turn down?

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 30, 2016 -> 06:19 PM)
Not trading with the Cubs is silly but I don't see why Hahn had to say anything.

And do the Cubs have the prospects the Sox want anyway?

They've hyped Schwarber to the gills, and even if the hype were legit, he's still a DH.

they've also hyped Soler ...but no one's buying that one.

What is the deal the Sox could get from the Cubs that it couldn't turn down?

That is just it. The Cubs can't build as nice of a deal as most other teams unless they are trading guys off of their major league roster. If you take away Baez, Schwarber and Contreras, they don't have as much left.

That Trump University education keeps paying dividends, doesn't it?

Go figure out the difference between owning a sports franchise and owning a business. That kindergarten horse manure doesn't hold up.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 04:27 AM)

Go figure out the difference between owning a sports franchise and owning a business. That kindergarten horse manure doesn't hold up.

Dude, you simply need to STFU and leave this board for good. Whether you're a Cubs fan or not, I think everyone here can agree you're condescending as f*** and bring a combative attitude to discussions. You constantly talk down to posters like you are better than them and can never admit when you're wrong (see post above). Do us all a favor and go away.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

:lolhitting

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 06:40 AM)
Dude, you simply need to STFU and leave this board for good. Whether you're a Cubs fan or not, I think everyone here can agree you're condescending as f*** and bring a combative attitude to discussions. You constantly talk down to posters like you are better than them and can never admit when you're wrong (see post above). Do us all a favor and go away.

Seconded.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 06:40 AM)

Thirded.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 06:59 AM)
I don't see how dodgers can justify giving away all of their cheap near MLB talent for Sale after this CBA.

They should also want to win while they have Kershaw (and in his prime). He can opt-out of his contract after the 2018 season. Obviously they shouldn't completely gut their system, but they are so deep that can add Sale and still have a solid farm system. And the new CBA will not prevent them from spending $250M+ regularly. If anyone can afford huge luxury taxes it's the Dodgers with their $300/year TV deal.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 08:59 AM)
I don't see how dodgers can justify giving away all of their cheap near MLB talent for Sale after this CBA.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 09:11 AM)
They should also want to win while they have Kershaw (and in his prime). He can opt-out of his contract after the 2018 season. Obviously they shouldn't completely gut their system, but they are so deep that can add Sale and still have a solid farm system. And the new CBA will not prevent them from spending $250M+ regularly. If anyone can afford huge luxury taxes it's the Dodgers with their $300/year TV deal.

The other side of it would be - they have an MVP candidate who has 2 years left pre arbitration, they have a number of other good young guys scattered around also...Sale bring a top 10 pitcher who is cost controlled for 3 years and is dramatically underpaid. The value of that to a team that could be fighting to get under the "upper tax" level or whatever they're starting to call it could be huge.

Wow, I must've struck a nerve. Didn't know you were so sensitive about your rides down the Wrigley urinal troughs.

If you haven't figured out simple concepts yet, such as that sports franchises are businesses and the market and economic competition are huge driving factors in the degree of success of a sports franchise, then perhaps you should stop playing in the horse manure, go back to kindergarten and learn a few things.

That's funny coming from somebody who roots for a team that is run by Trump supporters that has players that are openly Trump supporters

ESPN Chicago this morning...

"We will consider any trade, with any team, that improves the Chicago White Sox,” Hahn told the media, including Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune. "As I have said many times over the years, we are always open to discussing trades with all 29 other clubs. We even have completed trades within our division, despite facing these teams 19 times a year, and while trades between the Cubs and White Sox will always draw heightened scrutiny and attention, it makes no sense for us to ever eliminate any potential trading partners."

Buster Olney is an idiot.

The entire goal of trading Sale is to improve the team in the long run. If the Cubs put together the package that gives you the best shot of doing that, it's silly to turn them down just because they're the Cubs. All that tells me is that you're not all that confident in your scouting and evaluations in the first place and you're scared about it blowing up in your face. If you do your job, you're the one coming out ahead in the long run, or at least equal if it's a trade that truly helps both teams.

That said, I think the Cubs are out because they're not a match. The just won a WS and already have a strong, deep rotation (at least for 2017). They don't need to be giving up major pieces from their MLB roster/WS team. And I don't think they have the prospects to get a deal done without that.

Edited by bighurt574

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 10:56 AM)
The entire goal of trading Sale is to improve the team in the long run. If the Cubs put together the package that gives you the best shot of doing that, it's silly to turn them down just because they're the Cubs. All that tells me is that you're not all that confident in your scouting and evaluations in the first place and you're scared about it blowing up in your face. If you do your job, you're the one coming out ahead in the long run, or at least equal if it's a trade that truly helps both teams.

That said, I think the Cubs are out because they're not a match. The just won a WS and already have a strong, deep rotation (at least for 2017). They don't need to be giving up major pieces from their MLB roster/WS team. And I don't think they have the prospects to get a deal done without that.

I'd be willing to trade Sale for a couple of their scouts.