PIT/NATs in talks for McCutchen

bmags

Thought this was good news to see PIT thinking they can get Robles for 30 year old McCutcheon on a downyear.

Edited by bmags

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 11:01 AM)

Thought this was good news to see PIT thinking they can get Robles for 30 year old McCutcheon on a downyear.

I could see Robles and Fedde headlining a deal for Cutch

The Pirates and Nationals have ramped up discussions about a trade that would send Andrew McCutchen to... https://t.co/dvDA5ierVm

https://twitter.com/jaysonst/status/804372115457613824

The Pirates and Nationals have ramped up discussions about a trade that would send Andrew McCutchen to Washington, according to sources who have spoken with both teams. The Nationals, according to one exec, would like to make this deal today, because the ripple effect of trading for McCutchen would likely be a move to nontender shortstop Danny Espinosa before tomorrow's tender date. The Nationals have been looking for a center fielder. So if they can trade for McCutchen, he would play center, which would bounce Trea Turner to short and leave no spot for Espinosa. The Pirates are looking for controllable starting pitching. So names like Joe Ross and Reynaldo Lopez would fit that shopping list.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 12:19 PM)
It's an odd move, b/c Cutch is actually pretty bad in CF, but that lineup would be mental.

Nationals win 4th straight paper champions award!

Is espinoza so bad they can't move him?

Edit: yes he is

Edited by bmags

What is weird is the Pirates interest in Robles. I thought the reason they want to move McCutchen is to make room for Austin Meadows.

I would love to see the Pirates get into the bidding war as they have some fantastic young talent and could use an ace to anchor their rotation. Sale+Cole would be as good as any in the national league.

QUOTE (kwill @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 12:20 PM)
What is weird is the Pirates interest in Robles. I thought the reason they want to move McCutchen is to make room for Austin Meadows.

I would love to see the Pirates get into the bidding war as they have some fantastic young talent and could use an ace to anchor their rotation. Sale+Cole would be as good as any in the national league.

They're moving Meadows to LF in AAA next season and putting Marte in CF.

QUOTE (kwill @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 12:20 PM)

Robles is a 19 yr old in Single A, they have plenty of time with their current OF and will probably do the same thing they are doing now with Cutch with Marte in a few seasons. Actually pretty smart on their part.

QUOTE (kwill @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 01:20 PM)

I've thought (and perhaps hoped) all along that some of the smaller-market teams would get involved in the Sale derby, Pittsburgh foremost among them.

The big-boys -- your Dodgers, Red Sox, Yank-mes, Rangers, and the like -- might WANT a true ace on a cost-controlled contract, but, face it, they don't truly NEED the cost-controlled aspect as much as some teams might. A smaller market team on the brink of true contention NEEDS the entire Sale package to compete. Meaning, in theory they will pay more for a NEED than someone else might pay for a WANT.

I like the idea of the Pirates trading a veteran commodity that we don't necessarily want as a headliner, in order to load-up on ready for prime time (or nearly ready) primo prospects. I've thought all along that this could be a very best route to the proverbial "haul."

Who knows if this is what the Bucs have in mind, but for the moment, I'm liking what I'm seeing.

Edited by CyAcosta41

QUOTE (CyAcosta41 @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 02:09 PM)
I've thought (and perhaps hoped) all along that some of the smaller-market teams would get involved in the Sale derby, Pittsburgh foremost among them.

The big-boys -- your Dodgers, Red Sox, Yank-mes, Rangers, and the like -- might WANT a true ace on a cost-controlled contract, but, face it, they don't truly NEED the cost-controlled aspect as much as some teams might. A smaller market team on the brink of true contention NEEDS the entire Sale package to compete. Meaning, in theory they will pay more for a NEED than someone else might pay for a WANT.

I like the idea of the Pirates trading a veteran commodity that we don't necessarily want as a headliner, in order to load-up on ready for prime time (or nearly ready) primo prospects. I've thought all along that this could be a very best route to the proverbial "haul."

Who knows if this is what the Bucs have in mind, but for the moment, I'm liking what I'm seeing.

If the Pirates are looking to use Meadows in their OF, that seriously dents the package they could be able to offer for Sale. They aren't going to be able to give up both frontline starter candidates for Sale and still fill out their rotation. Meadows is a great Sale deal headliner because he's currently blocked. You can make something work with Meadows and one of those 2 starters as a headliner, you have an average at best deal for Sale if they say you get 1 of their 2 starters along with basically everything else they can offer.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 01:25 PM)
If the Pirates are looking to use Meadows in their OF, that seriously dents the package they could be able to offer for Sale. They aren't going to be able to give up both frontline starter candidates for Sale and still fill out their rotation. Meadows is a great Sale deal headliner because he's currently blocked. You can make something work with Meadows and one of those 2 starters as a headliner, you have an average at best deal for Sale if they say you get 1 of their 2 starters along with basically everything else they can offer.

The Pirates aren't trading for Chris Sale.

I would be on the phone with the Nationals regarding Eaton. If Robles was the headliner plus more I would jump all over it. Robles is one the highest ceiling players in all of minors. He's 2 years away, but love all 5 tools. If Pirates can get Robles plus more for a declining McCutchen . Eaton's value is never going to be higher. I would be on the phone with Rizzo.

That's interesting PP34,

In Klaws chat today he said PIT should ask for Giolito and Robles in a shoot for the stars land on the moon moment.

I mean, if You could get Giolito and Robles for Adam Eaton, prior to a Sale trade, we are talking about a serious infusion of high ceiling talent.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 02:30 PM)
I would be on the phone with the Nationals regarding Eaton. If Robles was the headliner plus more I would jump all over it. Robles is one the highest ceiling players in all of minors. He's 2 years away, but love all 5 tools. If Pirates can get Robles plus more for a declining McCutchen . Eaton's value is never going to be higher. I would be on the phone with Rizzo.

I never thought of that. And with Eaton having 5 years of control he'd better to acquire.