PIT/NATs in talks for McCutchen

bmags

I'd rather have McCutcheon starting in center field for the White Sox than Tilson the next 2 seasons. If the team can get him from the Pirates for some common prospects, I would do it in a heartbeat. Starting Tilson in center over McCutcheon isn't rebuilding, it's nuts in my opinion.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 10:10 PM)
I'd rather have McCutcheon starting in center field for the White Sox than Tilson the next 2 seasons. If the team can get him from the Pirates for some common prospects, I would do it in a heartbeat. Starting Tilson in center over McCutcheon isn't rebuilding, it's nuts in my opinion.

I bet Collins + Fulmer + Adams + Burdi puts you in the ballpark. If they're talking about Robles he's a top 10 guy and the White Sox have nothing close to that, but if you piled up 2 top 100 guys plus another first round pick from last year you at least aren't laughably far away. Nats could probably still beat that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 08:17 PM)
I bet Collins + Fulmer + Adams + Burdi puts you in the ballpark. If they're talking about Robles he's a top 10 guy and the White Sox have nothing close to that, but if you piled up 2 top 100 guys plus another first round pick from last year you at least aren't laughably far away. Nats could probably still beat that.

I just puked in my mouth.

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 07:39 PM)
I'm on the bangwagon of trading Eaton at this all time high value. He should be a great piece for a competiting team so it works out well for both ends.

With how long he's under control I genuinely hesitate to move him, really did impress last year...but one thing that others have noted that does worry me with him is how he'll take to playing on a rebuilding team that has genuinely no shot and after some of his friends have been traded. He's a guy that Arizona let go because they didn't like his attitude, the White Sox benched him at least once for not listening to their staff...if they didn't think he could handle Sale being moved professionally and that it would hurt his numbers they'd have to move him also.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 08:17 PM)

Why is this even being discussed.......

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 10:18 PM)
I just puked in my mouth.

That was the appropriate response. It would be a terrible move for the White Sox. But if people want to insist they're going to compete right now, then at least look at what it would really take.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 08:19 PM)
With how long he's under control I genuinely hesitate to move him, really did impress last year...but one thing that others have noted that does worry me with him is how he'll take to playing on a rebuilding team that has genuinely no shot and after some of his friends have been traded. He's a guy that Arizona let go because they didn't like his attitude, the White Sox benched him at least once for not listening to their staff...if they didn't think he could handle Sale being moved professionally and that it would hurt his numbers they'd have to move him also.

Couldn't agree more. I love having Eaton on the Sox, but he is not the type of player you want in a rebuilding situation. I think his antics would really get the better of him playing for a losing team for the next few years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 08:20 PM)
That was the appropriate response. It would be a terrible move for the White Sox. But if people want to insist they're going to compete right now, then at least look at what it would really take.

If that's what PIttsburgh can get for a washed up McCutchen, the Sox are in some serious business here.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 08:10 PM)

What is nuts is this team trading for McCutchen. Rick Hahn had his chances overpaying for proven veterans and he failed....miserably.....twice. Rick Hahn needs to leave fantasy land, return to earth and do his job.

And one would hope, after moving Sale and perhaps some of the proven veterans on this team that the Sox would wind up with a CF a mite better than Tilson anyway.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 08:28 PM)
Couldn't agree more. I love having Eaton on the Sox, but he is not the type of player you want in a rebuilding situation. I think his antics would really get the better of him playing for a losing team for the next few years.

I think Eaton rep is bas d on BS. For one thing he is or at least was the player rep. Those guys usually aren't the guys half the team despises. Also I listened to a podcast with Merkin, a guy who unlike any of us, spends time in the clubhouse. He referred to Eaton as a great clubhouse guy.

Here is an article on his "bad attitude ". Seems pretty harmless to me.

http://thecomeback.com/theoutsidecorner/20...as-selfish.html

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 08:28 PM)

Eaton was more serious and more productive last year; perhaps a result of further declowning of the 25 man (Alexei, e.g.).

Trad him, yes, if someone wants to pay for a 5 WAR player( which I Doubt).

Sale and the vets should bring sufficient fresh talent to revitalize this org. It's a lot more to trade than the Cubs or Astros had (although premiums are often better achieved In July, esp for short term vets). Q and Eaton would be solid building blocks. Note that the Astros held back Altuve in their dispersal and rebuilding.

The Sox were bad last year because Hahn has not built the Sox up the middle (affirmatively downgraded catcher and filled CF late last year). The staff and pen were each 3 deep. The org had no depth.

He then refused to do much in July for 2 years running. He seems to be frozen until he can move Sale...hope he doesn't forego opportunities to move others in the meantime.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 06:58 AM)
Eaton was more serious and more productive last year; perhaps a result of further declowning of the 25 man (Alexei, e.g.).

Sale and the vets should bring sufficient fresh talent to revitalize this org. It's a lot more to trade than the Cubs or Astros had (although premiums are often better achieved In July, esp for short term vets). Q and Eaton would be solid building blocks. Note that the Astros held back Altuve in their dispersal and rebuilding.

The Sox were bad last year because Hahn has not built the Sox up the middle (affirmatively downgraded catcher and filled CF late last year). The staff and pen were each 3 deep. The org had no depth.

ha, he sideways admits he was wrong about Eaton all along and still cant give Hahn credit for keeping him, when all season he crushed Hahn for not trading him "at his highest value it will get no higher"

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 06:58 AM)

He then refused to do much in July for 2 years running. He seems to be frozen until he can move Sale...hope he doesn't forego opportunities to move others in the meantime.

Altuve is 26 years old currently after their rebuild. So he was maybe 22 when their rebuild started. Q is 27, Eaton 28 at the start of the White Sox rebuild. Each will be over 30 by the time the Sox are ready to compete again. That's not good business if they're serious about rebuilding - which I'm still not convinced the Sox will fully commit to.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 01:16 PM)
My word is soft right now haha. But the the one thing I would say that isn't really talked about much is that I'd expect Dan Jennings to go this offseason. Supposedly garnering a lot of interest.

With the value being placed on relievers currently, I wouldn't mind both Jones and Jennings being sold off.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 01:20 PM)
Agreed. I really, really hope they are entertaining trading Jones.

If I had it my way (w/ only assuming on the potential returns obviously) I'd trade Sale, Frazier, Jones, Jennings and Melky.

I think they'll trade Sale, Frazier, Jennings and Robertson.

We still need to field a team next year, keep that in mind

You might even be better off trading Sale now, and keeping guys like Robertson and Frazier to see if they have strong seasons and flip them at the deadline to a contender? The return for a Frazier rental if he has a strong season could be considerable

I think the time to sell Frazier is now. Despite the ability for some teams to overpay at trade deadlines, he's still much more valuable in a full season then he is in 2 months plus maybe the playoffs. If you can flip him for a better package of prospects then we gave up to get him, I think that's a no brainer unless the Sox are thinking of trying to extend him through a rebuild.

Robertson depends on how teams value him. If there's no really interesting offers out there, I say keep him and see if he can have a solid 1st half, then try to sell him at the deadline.