PIT/NATs in talks for McCutchen

bmags

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 01:20 PM)
Agreed. I really, really hope they are entertaining trading Jones.

If I had it my way (w/ only assuming on the potential returns obviously) I'd trade Sale, Frazier, Jones, Jennings and Melky.

I think they'll trade Sale, Frazier, Jennings and Robertson.

You think Frazier or Robertson return a top 100?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 01:24 PM)
We still need to field a team next year, keep that in mind

You might even be better off trading Sale now, and keeping guys like Robertson and Frazier to see if they have strong seasons and flip them at the deadline to a contender? The return for a Frazier rental if he has a strong season could be considerable

If we're truly in all-out rebuild mode, there's nothing wrong with tanking for a year or two and adding a few top draft picks to whatever prospect haul we can get for guys like Sale, Q, Eaton, etc. That said, I doubt the sell off is that drastic.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 03:02 PM)
Who says no?

Nats get: Eaton and Jennings

Sox get: Giolito, Robles, Fedde, Reetz

Edit: I'm saying the Nats say no

Probably the Nats, but I'd do that deal. Would like Severino as the final piece.

Who says no?

Nats say no - but that's what I'd like us to interject with.

Who says no?

You think they say no? If I'm the Sox I go to the Nats with Eaton and say "we'll give you 3 more years of Eaton for whatever you're offering for McCutchen". It should be roughly a package like you mentioned.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 03:05 PM)
Probably the Nats, but I'd do that deal. Would like Severino as the final piece.

Nationals probably say no, although they are in a short two year window to contend before Harper ditches them in free agency on a mega deal

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 03:08 PM)
You think they say no? If I'm the Sox I go to the Nats with Eaton and say "we'll give you 3 more years of Eaton for whatever you're offering for McCutchen". It should be roughly a package like you mentioned.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 03:12 PM)
No way Nationals offer that deal.

:lol:

This is why I asked

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 03:25 PM)
I'd take that in a heartbeat, but no way the Nats offer two top 10 prospects and then some for Eaton.

It would probably have to be Giolito or Robles plus whatever else.

If there is already talk about Robles being included in a deal for McCutchen, why wouldn't the price for Eaton be significantly higher?

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 03:18 PM)
Nationals:Eaton and N. Jones

Sox: Giolito, Robles, Fedde, Stevenson

Would you take that deal?

TBH, I wanna see a Ken Giles-esque depth package in return for Jones, even if it isn't super elite guys. I'd much rather throw in D Ro or Jennings.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 03:28 PM)
If there is already talk about Robles being included in a deal for McCutchen, why wouldn't the price for Eaton be significantly higher?

This. Less miles on Eaton as well compared to Cutch. Under team control longer and cheaper. Eaton definitely is worth Robles, Giolito/Fedde + one more piece.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 03:28 PM)

Yup. Younger, 3 more years of control, elite defense, only $10.8 million more on that entire deal. Eaton would easily fetch that package and probably more.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 04:00 PM)
The value of Adam Eaton versus McCutchen being significant, might be a significant understatement.

Perhaps, at least if you go by last year's numbers.

Eaton just doesn't have the same star quality or ceiling as McCutchen (who is still just 30). That shouldn't really matter, but I still can't see a franchise cleaning out a strong farm system for Eaton (though he's certainly worth more than McCutchen). Might as well go after Sale if you're willing to give all that up.

Edited by bighurt574

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 06:10 PM)
Perhaps, at least if you go by last year's numbers.

Eaton just doesn't have the same star quality or ceiling as McCutchen (who is still just 30). That shouldn't really matter, but I still can't see a franchise cleaning out a strong farm system for Eaton (though he's certainly worth more than McCutchen). Might as well go after Sale if you're willing to give all that up.

Couple other things worth thinking about from the Nats perspective....

The Nats may not care as much about years 3-5 of Eaton's deal as they do about maximizing years 1-2. A guy worth 6 WAR in each of years 1-2 is worth more to them than a guy putting up 4 WAR 5 straight years, because they're going to lose Harper after 2018 so they have only a 2 year window.

The Nats also have a strong RF right now, so you also have to ask yourself who will do a better job for them in CF. Eaton was a weak CF in 2014 and a strong RF. Cutch was an average CF in 2015 and terrible in 2016. If you're betting on him recovering his all-star form, I'd bet on Cutch as more likely to be a solid CF than Eaton, if I had some idea of waht hit him in 2016.

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 03:28 PM)
TBH, I wanna see a Ken Giles-esque depth package in return for Jones, even if it isn't super elite guys. I'd much rather throw in D Ro or Jennings.

That would be nice, but I doubt the Sox will see that. The Sox, under this front offices, just don't get those kind of packages.

Eaton should be worth more than McCutchen, but I don't think either nets multiple top prospects.

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman 1m1 minute ago Manhattan, NY

hear pirates want top OF prospect robles plus a top young SP (giolito, lopez, ross presumably would fit) in Cutch package

And for the love of god, can we spell McCutchen's name correctly in this thread title?

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 07:23 PM)

hear pirates want top OF prospect robles plus a top young SP (giolito, lopez, ross presumably would fit) in Cutch package

And for the love of god, can we spell McCutchen's name correctly in this thread title?

No idea why so many people add the extra "o".

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 07:23 PM)

If that's McCutchen's price, they will not touch Sale without Turner coming to Chicago.