PIT/NATs in talks for McCutchen

bmags

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 02:36 PM)
That's interesting PP34,

In Klaws chat today he said PIT should ask for Giolito and Robles in a shoot for the stars land on the moon moment.

I mean, if You could get Giolito and Robles for Adam Eaton, prior to a Sale trade, we are talking about a serious infusion of high ceiling talent.

You should be getting A LOT more than those 2 for Eaton. 3 extra years of control for $10.4 million more, coming off a way better season, better defensively, and younger. An Eaton trade would require an unprecedented haul back. Would be easier to get Sale honestly.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we'd get a + there, but as headliners, you can't do much better than a top 5 prospect and a top 20 prospect, not that many teams have both.

Point is - it was hard to figure out Eaton's market, but if McCutcheon after his season and age is truly bringing a Robles + back, then Eaton would command a Giolito + Robles.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 02:43 PM)
If the Pirates move McCutchen, I would sure like to see him playing centerfield the next 2 seasons in a White Sox uniform.

Why, if the sox are rebuilding theres no point of him. Sox are trying to get younger and more control not short term stop gaps

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 03:36 PM)
That's interesting PP34,

In Klaws chat today he said PIT should ask for Giolito and Robles in a shoot for the stars land on the moon moment.

I mean, if You could get Giolito and Robles for Adam Eaton, prior to a Sale trade, we are talking about a serious infusion of high ceiling talent.

Agree. I would do an Eaton for Robles, Giolito and others, but not for just Robles+

That's extra $4 million to build up your system and big advantage over the other 29 teams. I think that will be the big advantage when dealing with the international market in the new CBA. Go after the higher cost players of the past couple years: Torres, Jimenez, Mailtan, Espinoza, Alvarez, Mazara, Tavarez, etc. All those signings done by the teams who went over cap in the last CBA. Your going to see the Dodgers, Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox trading strengths in their system to get international allotment to continue rebuilding their system. Example Cubs will trade a player like 3b Candelario who has no spot in the majors and be traded to the Marlins for allotment money.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 04:05 PM)
That's extra $4 million to build up your system and big advantage over the other 29 teams. I think that will be the big advantage when dealing with the international market in the new CBA. Go after the higher cost players of the past couple years: Torres, Jimenez, Mailtan, Espinoza, Alvarez, Mazara, Tavarez, etc. All those signings done by the teams who went over cap in the last CBA. Your going to see the Dodgers, Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox trading strengths in their system to get international allotment to continue rebuilding their system. Example Cubs will trade a player like 3b Candelario who has no spot in the majors and be traded to the Marlins for allotment money.

Right, but at this point i'd rather poach the signings of those teams that have shown success in promoting their LatAm talent in their lower levels rather than give the money to the sox system for a 2017 class.

I like Marco Paddy. I Think we are getting better. Not relying on him yet thou.

The Nationals acquiring Cutch puts their OF situation as....Werth, Cutch, Turner, Harper, Revere.

And with a full infield, that really doesn't leave Trea Turner with a chance to move back to SS either, as Espinosa is actually a very good defensive SS with HR pop.

I wonder if that makes Turner expendable in a Sale trade. Assuming they trade Robles and Fedde for Cutch, maybe a Sale trade would be Turner, Lopez, Stevenson, and Severino, allowing them to keep Giolito as a compromise for giving up Turner.

In Turner, we are talking a guy that is even more valuable than Bregman. Turner put up a 3.3 WAR in only 73 games! That's a pace for 7 WAR. Hell, the package I suggested may actually be 1 player too many. I think the Nats getting Cutch and Houston getting EE could work out BEAUTIFULLY for us in our ability to strip both clubs of their best young prospect.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 04:16 PM)
The Nationals acquiring Cutch puts their OF situation as....Werth, Cutch, Turner, Harper, Revere.

And with a full infield, that really doesn't leave Trea Turner with a chance to move back to SS either, as Espinosa is actually a very good defensive SS with HR pop.

I wonder if that makes Turner expendable in a Sale trade. Assuming they trade Robles and Fedde for Cutch, maybe a Sale trade would be Turner, Lopez, Stevenson, and Severino, allowing them to keep Giolito as a compromise for giving up Turner.

In Turner, we are talking a guy that is even more valuable than Bregman. Turner put up a 3.3 WAR in only 73 games! That's a pace for 7 WAR. Hell, the package I suggested may actually be 1 player too many. I think the Nats getting Cutch and Houston getting EE could work out BEAUTIFULLY for us in our ability to strip both clubs of their best young prospect.

Yeah what the poster above said, they would non-tender Espinosa and his projected $5.3 million and move Turner to short and use the money somewhere else.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 04:07 PM)
Right, but at this point i'd rather poach the signings of those teams that have shown success in promoting their LatAm talent in their lower levels rather than give the money to the sox system for a 2017 class.

I like Marco Paddy. I Think we are getting better. Not relying on him yet thou.

Agree with your assessment on Paddy.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 05:19 PM)
Yeah what the poster above said, they would non-tender Espinosa and his projected $5.3 million and move Turner to short and use the money somewhere else.

Yeah I think you guys are right...definitely makes a Turner trade slightly more feasible though. Espinosa is still a solid player, despite his offense really sucking as of late.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 04:18 PM)
Rumor is Turner to SS and Espinosa DFA

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 04:19 PM)

Wow, that is some surprising news. Espinosa is probably a 2 WAR player, easily worth the $5.3M he would be owed. I mean, that's about the same as Lawrie, and Lawrie is a worse player, who is hurt more often, and plays a BAD 2B, versus a great SS. That's pretty stunning that they don't feel they could tender him and then trade him for a decent piece back.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 02:30 PM)
I would be on the phone with the Nationals regarding Eaton. If Robles was the headliner plus more I would jump all over it. Robles is one the highest ceiling players in all of minors. He's 2 years away, but love all 5 tools. If Pirates can get Robles plus more for a declining McCutchen . Eaton's value is never going to be higher. I would be on the phone with Rizzo.

Eaton is a proven all star at the mlb level. Regardless of Robles' ceiling, he is still 19 and there is a ton of time for him to end up as a bust.

I like him as a prospect, but Eaton is not going anywhere as he is under long term control

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 02:30 PM)
I would be on the phone with the Nationals regarding Eaton. If Robles was the headliner plus more I would jump all over it. Robles is one the highest ceiling players in all of minors. He's 2 years away, but love all 5 tools. If Pirates can get Robles plus more for a declining McCutchen . Eaton's value is never going to be higher. I would be on the phone with Rizzo.

Cardinals too are said to be looking for a CF and leadoff hitter. Eaton is the perfect fit for them. Go get Alex Reyes ++

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 04:27 PM)
Wow, that is some surprising news. Espinosa is probably a 2 WAR player, easily worth the $5.3M he would be owed. I mean, that's about the same as Lawrie, and Lawrie is a worse player, who is hurt more often, and plays a BAD 2B, versus a great SS. That's pretty stunning that they don't feel they could tender him and then trade him for a decent piece back.

Espinoza is a low obp player

He could be worth $5.3 mil on a one year deal for some team though

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 04:42 PM)
Eaton is a proven all star at the mlb level. Regardless of Robles' ceiling, he is still 19 and there is a ton of time for him to end up as a bust.

I like him as a prospect, but Eaton is not going anywhere as he is under long term control

The Sox should heavily consider moving Eaton while his value is sky high. A speed/contact guy is not going to age well into his 30s - and he's already 28.

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 04:44 PM)
Cardinals too are said to be looking for a CF and leadoff hitter. Eaton is the perfect fit for them. Go get Alex Reyes ++

St louis needs Reyes more than they need Eaton in my opinion. Their farm system does not have much in terms of pitching after him

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 04:46 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=3452719:date=Dec 1, 2016 -> 04:42 PM:name=steveno89)-->
<!--quotec-->Eaton is a proven all star at the mlb level. Regardless of Robles' ceiling, he is still 19 and there is a ton of time for him to end up as a bust.

The Sox should heavily consider moving Eaton while his value is sky high. A speed/contact guy is not going to age well into his 30s - and he's already 28.

It takes two to tango. If I am the White Sox I dangle the entire roster and see what bites, but teams realistically know the cost for Eaton would be huge with him being under control for so long

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 04:46 PM)
St louis needs Reyes more than they need Eaton in my opinion. Their farm system does not have much in terms of pitching after him

They showed their depth chart on MLB Network earlier. They're about 7 solid options deep. Prospect-wise they have Reyes, Luke Weaver, and Jack Flaherty off the top of my head.

Eaton is not a proven All Star!