Winter Meetings Predictions Thread

Chicago White Sox

We're still a day away from the Winter Meetings and I'm dying for some baseball rumors. To overcome what will be the longest 24 hours ever, I thought we could take a crack at what moves Hahn will make during this year's meetings. Let me be clear, this isn't about who you want traded and who you would like coming back. This thread is simply meant to guess the most likely/realistic trades than Hahn will execute between now and December 8th.

I've always liked the match up of Sale and Frazier to the Dodgers for a package of prospects. The Astros are going to hang on to Bregman, and the Sox are going to settle for quantity over quality. Hope I'm wrong.

After that, Melky and Robertson seem like good candidates to go, with Quintana, Abreu, and Eaton as longshots.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 3, 2016 -> 09:09 AM)
I've always liked the match up of Sale and Frazier to the Dodgers for a package of prospects. The Astros are going to hang on to Bregman, and the Sox are going to settle for quantity over quality. Hope I'm wrong.

After that, Melky and Robertson seem like good candidates to go, with Quintana, Abreu, and Eaton as longshots.

I've gone back and forth on this, but I ultimately think one team caves for Sale and gives up an untouchable. And my best guess is it's the Astros with Bregman. They have a young talented core in the majors locked up for the next three to four years, creating a strong competitive window right now. They have an incredibly deep farm system and giving up Bregman allows them to keep most of their other high end pieces (Martes, Tucker, etc). Assuming they sign EE or Beltran, they can afford to give up Bregman without causing too much damage on the offensive side. They desperately need an ace if they want to set themselves up as a dangerous postseason threat. And last but not least, they've never won a World Series and Luhnow probably feels a sense of urgency to make something happen now. For all these reasons, I think the Astros end up giving up Bregman.

I don't have a prediction but will be interesting to me on the lesser profile guys if traded if Sox look for higher upside younger players or players closer to majors. A guy like Jennings unlikely to get you a top 100 prospect, do you get a payer more likely to contribute at majors or a dynamic arm you like but is only 18-19?

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 3, 2016 -> 10:09 AM)
I don't have a prediction but will be interesting to me on the lesser profile guys if traded if Sox look for higher upside younger players or players closer to majors. A guy like Jennings unlikely to get you a top 100 prospect, do you get a payer more likely to contribute at majors or a dynamic arm you like but is only 18-19?

I really think Jennings is used as a sweetener in a larger deal. Like you said, he's not going to get us a high end prospect on his own, but his addition to a deal could greatly improve that the final piece coming back.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 3, 2016 -> 09:51 AM)
We're still a day away from the Winter Meetings and I'm dying for some baseball rumors. To overcome what will be the longest 24 hours ever, I thought we could take a crack at what moves Hahn will make during this year's meetings. Let me be clear, this isn't about who you want traded and who you would like coming back. This thread is simply meant to guess the most likely/realistic trades than Hahn will execute between now and December 8th.

You can'rt be looking too hard.

Sale to Boston for a Moncada headlined package. Some package involving 4 of Rodriguez, Groome, Kopesch, Dubon, Swihart, Travis, and Basabe come with him.

That's it...a lot of chatter but FA chips will have to fall before Melky, Frazier, or Robertson markets heat up I think. And I don't suspect the FO will do anything drastic like trade Q, Eaton or Abreu yet (even tho I think they should).

Sale and two filler pieces to the Astros for Bregman, Reed, Paulino, Musgrove and Fisher.

Robertson to the Dodgers for Puig

Abreu to the Red Sox for Kopech and Swihart

I like these ideas, I think we can get more for Abreu tho.

Also, in a wishful perfect world, Eaton to NAT for a loaded package :D

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Dec 3, 2016 -> 02:43 PM)

Agreed - that Abreu to BOS package was garbage. No point in trading Jose for that.

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Dec 3, 2016 -> 02:43 PM)

Agreed - that Abreu to BOS package was garbage. No point in trading Jose for that.

QUOTE (Fantl916 @ Dec 3, 2016 -> 12:34 PM)
Sale and two filler pieces to the Astros for Bregman, Reed, Paulino, Musgrove and Fisher.

Robertson to the Dodgers for Puig

Abreu to the Red Sox for Kopech and Swihart

Abreu for kopech and swihart would be an awful trade for the white sox