Legitimate chance of Sale trade to #Nationals per Rosenthal

DirtySox

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 11:16 AM)
Lots of people these days saying that post TJS guys are actually safer, and their elbows stronger. I don't disagree with what you're saying - but its not that cut and dry any more.

Cole and Ross and intriguing, for sure, but we'd only have 4 or 5 years of control on Ross.

5 years of control on Ross, FYI. He has a little over 1 year of service time.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 11:25 AM)
If nats miss on melancon (who's close w/ SF via @Ken_Rosenthal ) perhaps more likely they step up for sale, cutch

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/805824415820816385

Okay. Make Turner available and maybe something can happen. No way they get both Sale and Cutch without him.

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 11:19 AM)
5 years of control on Ross, FYI. He has a little over 1 year of service time.

Thanks.

Robles, Giolito, Ross, Cole/Lopez, Severino and a wildcard offensive piece (one of Kieboom/Nuese/Stevenson/Ward/Banks).

Maybe that is too much, but that's what I'd expect without Turner. Let's them keep one of Cole/Lopez..I assume they'd keep Lopez.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 10:13 AM)
Can someone tell me why Washington is so appealing if Turner isn't involved?

Giolito has already had TJ and didn't do much of anything at the big league level, and Robles is a 19 year old in A ball. The Sox can't develop a player like him.

Turner is a condition precedent to trade talk with the Nationals involving Sale. If he isn't, then it's - " thank you for calling but I have Dave Dumbrowski on the other line."

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 11:27 AM)
Thanks.

Robles, Giolito, Ross, Cole/Lopez, Severino and a wildcard offensive piece (one of Kieboom/Nuese/Stevenson/Ward/Banks).

Maybe that is too much, but that's what I'd expect without Turner. Let's them keep one of Cole/Lopez..I assume they'd keep Lopez.

I'm with you. It should hurt any team acquiring Sale to pull the trigger.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 11:28 AM)
Turner is a condition precedent to trade talk with the Nationals involving Sale. If he isn't, then it's - " thank you for calling but I have Dave Dumbrowski on the other line."

Then you're never going to get a deal done.

Turner just put up 3.5 WAR in a half season and is under control for six more years. Why would the Nats trade him and then some for Sale?

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 11:28 AM)
This is a great idea in principle but Washington would have to allow the Sox to clean out their system for me to consider it.

For Robertson? No. It'd be like 1 extra piece. And they pay the 2/25 contract.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 11:32 AM)
Then you're never going to get a deal done.

Turner just put up 3.5 WAR in a half season and is under control for six more years. Why would the Nats trade him and then some for Sale?

Because pitching wins in the playoffs.

WAR means nothing after October 1st.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 11:34 AM)
would you throw up because of how confusing this post is? :P

Obviously part of three team deal where Nats acquire sale, then use Sale to trade Sale to another team for prospects to acquire sale and then claim tampering to allow them to reacquire Sale.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 11:26 AM)
Okay. Make Turner available and maybe something can happen. No way they get both Sale and Cutch without him.

I don't think Cutch has the value that people think. He's not good defensively anymore, wants to play CF, and was a negative WAR player last year.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 11:38 AM)
I don't think Cutch has the value that people think. He's not good defensively anymore, wants to play CF, and was a negative WAR player last year.

Yep he was almost at -30 in DRS last year

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 11:38 AM)

Agreed. I think Cole / Lopez and a back-end top 10 would be enough to get him.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 11:38 AM)
Because pitching wins in the playoffs.

WAR means nothing after October 1st.

The stat doesn't, but 7 WAR players sure do. If that's what they think they have in Turner, they're not going to trade him plus top prospects for Sale.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 11:44 AM)
Huh? What reports saying the Sox are buyers? I don't believe it.

It was right after the season ended and was speculative that if the Sox did in fact try to go for ti in 2017 McCutchen would be a fit and that was the price.

I can't recall where I read it but I believe it was out of Pittsbugh.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 11:45 AM)
The stat doesn't, but 7 WAR players sure do. If that's what they think they have in Turner, they're not going to trade him plus top prospects for Sale.

I understand Washington's reluctance to include Turner in a package. He is a player they really want to keep.

That being said, without him in the deal they will really have to overwhelm the White Sox with a 5-6 player offer to get them to agree.

Realistically an offer of Ross, Giolito, Robles, Lopez or Fedde, and Kieboom or Neuse would get the White Sox attention.

Atlanta could be interesting. I get not wanting to part with Swanson, but if they put Albies, Maitan and Newcomb + more in a package it could work.

Each team might be able to take a player off the table like Turner and Swanson, but you can't have other untouchables after that and expect a deal to get done