Legitimate chance of Sale trade to #Nationals per Rosenthal

DirtySox

Up until today I was thinking that Robertson's 2/25M left on his contract would be a detriment, but after seeing what Melancon got I'm not so sure anymore. Nats could have serious interest as a way to cut costs on the open market.

Sale and Robertson

for

Lucas Giolito, Victor Robles, Joe Ross, Erick Fedde, Andrew Stevenson, Drew Ward, and Michael Taylor

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 01:16 PM)
I smell a mega deal for Sale and Eaton...

Not sure that is possible.

Turner, Giolito, Robles, Lopez, Ross, Cole, Kieboom, Nuese, Stevenson, and Severino?

So basically Turner, Giolito, Cole, Nuese and Severino for Sale.

Robles, Lopez, Ross, Kieboom and Stevenson for Eaton.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 11:22 AM)
Not sure that is possible.

Turner, Giolito, Robles, Lopez, Ross, Cole, Kieboom, Nuese, Stevenson, and Severino?

So basically Turner, Giolito, Cole, Nuese and Severino for Sale.

Robles, Lopez, Ross, Kieboom and Stevenson for Eaton.

It's easily possible with Turner included.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 01:16 PM)
I smell a mega deal for Sale and Eaton...

Sale AND Eaton would require an absolutely enormous package going back to the White Sox

It's pretty insane to think about, but you're talking about 11 WAR per season being dealt

It would absolutely have to start with Turner, followed closely by Giolito, Robles, Ross, Lopez, Fedde, Kieboom

I'm not even certain that is enough for two all star players under cheap control

Sale would return: Turner, Ross, Robles, Kieboom +

Eaton would return: Giolito, Lopez, Fedde +

I don't think there is a team in baseball with the farm system to trade for both Eaton and Sale. It would more than gut any system, any team would be setting their minor league depth back 5 years

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 01:22 PM)
Interesting. The Red Sox were out before. Now back in. Once one team caves, expect others to follow. Sale is one of the better established trade pieces of all time if you think about it.

All factors considered, I can't think of a better trade piece in previous history.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 01:23 PM)
Sale AND Eaton would require an absolutely enormous package going back to the White Sox

It's pretty insane to think about, but you're talking about 11 WAR per season being dealt

It would absolutely have to start with Turner, followed closely by Giolito, Robles, Ross, Lopez, Fedde, Kieboom

I'm not even certain that is enough for two all star players under cheap control

Eaton would return: Giolito, Lopez, Fedde +

I don't think there is a team in baseball with the farm system to trade for both Eaton and Sale. It would more than gut any system, any team would be setting their minor league depth back 5 years

Pretty clear this isn't true.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 01:27 PM)
Pretty clear this isn't true.

I was just posturing what it would take for a team to acquire both Sale and Eaton

HUGE doubts that any team would be able to stomach the return it would take

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 01:28 PM)
I was just posturing what it would take for a team to acquire both Sale and Eaton

HUGE doubts that any team would be able to stomach the return it would take

Yes it's doubtful. Discussed earlier how I thought Eaton could justify Giolito Robles themselves. However, I will say it depends on how much your scouts think of turner. If this truly is an opportunity to get a talent like that unlikely to be matched, maybe you do spend more.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 01:22 PM)
Interesting. The Red Sox were out before. Now back in. Once one team caves, expect others to follow. Sale is one of the better established trade pieces of all time if you think about it.

Yes, if you consider 3 years left on deal.

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 01:32 PM)
We've discussed this regarding Bregman, if we were able to pry Turner from DC, does he play CF for us? 2B? SS?

If that is our problem that is the best white sox problem I've seen in a while.

I think keep him in CF or move anderson.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 01:36 PM)
With the strides Anderson has made every year at short, I wouldn't even think about about moving him around.

I wouldn't normally, but I'd do whatever trea turner wants honestly.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 11:30 AM)
Yes it's doubtful. Discussed earlier how I thought Eaton could justify Giolito Robles themselves. However, I will say it depends on how much your scouts think of turner. If this truly is an opportunity to get a talent like that unlikely to be matched, maybe you do spend more.

I think it goes a little something like this:

Hahn - "Mike, you can offer Giolito and Robles all day long, but I've got to have Turner."

Rizzo - "If I'm giving up Turner, I can't give you Giolito OR Robles...and I'm not even sure I can get a sign off on Turner, to be honest."

Hahn - "You know our suite #, Mike."

Rizzo - "Rick, you've got to help me offset Turner if I'm going to move him..."

Hahn - "What about Melky?"

Rizzo - "Come on Rick. I need someone who will be here for at least a couple years. Give me Adam."

Hahn - Eaton is not off the table, but then I'm going to need Turner and your top 3-4 guys, Mike."

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 01:39 PM)
I think it goes a little something like this:

Hahn - "Mike, you can offer Giolito and Robles all day long, but I've got to have Turner."

Rizzo - "If I'm giving up Turner, I can't give you Giolito OR Robles...and I'm not even sure I can get a sign off on Turner, to be honest."

Hahn - "You know our suite #, Mike."

Rizzo - "Rick, you've got to help me offset Turner if I'm going to move him..."

Hahn - "What about Melky?"

Rizzo - "Come on Rick. I need someone who will be here for at least a couple years. Give me Adam."

Hahn - Eaton is not off the table, but then I'm going to need Turner and your top 3-4 guys, Mike."

Yes.