Legitimate chance of Sale trade to #Nationals per Rosenthal

DirtySox

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 01:00 PM)
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman 2m2 minutes ago

Nats are said to stepping for Sale. Meeting this aft. Red Sox are involved, and others, too.

Things are heating up!

LET'S $#@$^$ GO!!!

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 02:41 PM)
Is there a set time in which the Sox and Nats are sitting down for a meeting to discuss Sale?

Using this as the reference tweet, no specific time was assigned to it.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 12:39 PM)
Yeah, one thing I'm keeping in mind is all of Boston/Houston/Washington have huge incentive to leak to media that their untouchable is not available, they don't want to be in that bidding war when the Sox call and say "HOU just offered Bregman, do you want an opportunity to top it?"

Yeah, I was just thinking how much it's almost bordering on collusion.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 02:43 PM)
Wonder if we misdrafted in 2014 when we selected Carlos Rodon over the now seemingly untouchable Trea Turner, who we are told cannot be included in a trade for perennial Cy Young finalist Chris Sale. Last I looked, Sale >>>> Rodon, at least at this point in time.

I would think Sox fans would be happy with Rodon. He is pretty good.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 02:41 PM)
Sox will keep Sale unless one team ups the offer. When you have multiple teams bidding the price goes up because the Sox know they do not have to settle

I actually would keep him unless we get a premium package in return

And the Sox have other trade chips that will crossover in discussions. I mean, there could be teams who would move on to Q, Eaton, or even Rodon. The Sox have a ton of due diligence to do if they are exploring a complete rebuild.

I would be very curious to know what Q's market looks like. Have barely heard a word about it.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 02:43 PM)
Wonder if we misdrafted in 2014 when we selected Carlos Rodon over the now seemingly untouchable Trea Turner, who we are told cannot be included in a trade for perennial Cy Young finalist Chris Sale. Last I looked, Sale >>>> Rodon, at least at this point in time.

I don't think so. I really liked Turner as a prospect, but not at #3 overall at the time.

Rodon is only 24 years old and has shown flashes of great ability. He may not have the ceiling of a #1 starter, but he could end up being a #2 or #3.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 03:45 PM)
I would think Sox fans would be happy with Rodon. He is pretty good.

That's not my point. If the draft were held today again, I'd still take my chances with Rodon, and I think most baseball experts would as well. My point is that today, Sale is still obviously so much better than Rodon, which therefore makes it surprising that Turner would be considered untouchable in a trade for Sale.

QUOTE (shakes @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 02:48 PM)
And the Sox have other trade chips that will crossover in discussions. I mean, there could be teams who would move on to Q, Eaton, or even Rodon. The Sox have a ton of due diligence to do if they are exploring a complete rebuild.

I would be very curious to know what Q's market looks like. Have barely heard a word about it.

Doesn't appear W. Sox are in Trade Q mode.

QUOTE (bjm676 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 02:51 PM)
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 33s33 seconds ago

Sources: #Nationals more focused on Sale than Cutch. #WhiteSox likely would get Robles, Giolito, much more. No indication deal is close.

Yes please.

Sources: #Nationals more focused on Sale than Cutch. #WhiteSox likely would get Robles, Giolito, much more. No indication deal is close.

That's a decent start, but I still like what BOS and HOU have to offer better -- near-MLB-ready position players.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 02:50 PM)
The guy drafted #4 right after Rodon is pretty good too.

Should probably wait a few more years to make judgments about that draft class....

2014/2015 drafts look like we are about to enter a decade of very awesome baseball.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 02:49 PM)
That's not my point. If the draft were held today again, I'd still take my chances with Rodon, and I think most baseball experts would as well. My point is that today, Sale is still obviously so much better than Rodon, which therefore makes it surprising that Turner would be considered untouchable in a trade for Sale.

The kid hit .342 with power and speed in 100 games. Of course his value is inflated now. If he sustains those numbers he should have gone #1. I wouldn't bet on that, although I still think he will be a great player. Rodon looks like he will be a top of the rotation guy. A solid pick at #3.

Just want to say that deal pieces leaking out is v. good news to me. Way too much who is not involved. You don't bid over who is not involved, you bid over who IS.

:) Love hot stove talk.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 02:52 PM)
That's a decent start, but I still like what BOS and HOU have to offer better -- near-MLB-ready position players.

Yeah if Turner isn't involved I don't like what they have to offer after Giolito and Robles. Their only interesting players are pitchers they are super weak on posiitional talent.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 02:51 PM)
Yes please.

really depends on what that "much more" ends up being?

Giolito makes me nervous, and Robles has never played above A ball. A good season from Robles would move him up into a top 5 mlb prospect, but a bad season where he struggles would make this look ugly.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 02:53 PM)
The kid hit .342 with power and speed in 100 games. Of course his value is inflated now. If he sustains those numbers he should have gone #1. I wouldn't bet on that, although I still think he will be a great player. Rodon looks like he will be a top of the rotation guy. A solid pick at #3.

Yeah Rodon is fine, he's in the majors! But as a white sox fan who've watched garbage position players it hurts to see players like Turner selected behind you. Helps to see players like Alex Jackson though.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 02:55 PM)
Yeah if Turner isn't involved I don't like what they have to offer after Giolito and Robles. Their only interesting players are pitchers they are super weak on posiitional talent.

I agree. But Robles, Giolito, Ross, Lopez and Severino is a pretty good return.

I do think that move necessitates the Sox moving other peices for as much offense as they can get though.