Legitimate chance of Sale trade to #Nationals per Rosenthal

DirtySox

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 02:47 PM)
The book is still out on Carlos.

As of right now, both Turner and Schwarbs are the better picks.

I'll give you a few guesses which of the 3 has accumulated the most fWAR since that draft.

QUOTE (gosoxtim8 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 02:55 PM)
is this Giolito ready or he needs more time in the minors

Giolito is close to mlb ready, although there are some red flags

His velocity was down late in the season and he had command issues

He is not a sure thing, and I worry that his physical size and stuff project to being an ace, but that the on field results won't ever reach it

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 02:55 PM)
really depends on what that "much more" ends up being?

Giolito makes me nervous, and Robles has never played above A ball. A good season from Robles would move him up into a top 5 mlb prospect, but a bad season where he struggles would make this look ugly.

One of Giolito and Robles will bust. Even if we get both it's why Turner has to be involved.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 02:52 PM)
And by the time Carlos comes into his own he'll be due $200 million.

Typical White Sox fan response. He has 5 years of control, and was starting to come into his own last season. But ignore it. He was a horrible draft pick. Schwarbs was so much better. Even though he didn't play in 2016.

If you seriously have a problem with the White Sox drafting Carlos Rodon, you will probably be disappointed almost every draft. I doubt any team has actually drafted the guy that turned into the best player on the board when they drafted every pick. Rodon is solid. If he is capable of a $200 million contract you apparently like his talent.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 12:57 PM)
I'll give you a few guesses which of the 3 has accumulated the most fWAR since that draft.

A lot of good his fWAR has done us, too!

I'm saying if you're going off of their development trajectories since draft day, I suspect the order might switch.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 02:57 PM)
I'm not sure I take that deal

I don't think I take that deal either, too much risk for the White Sox

Robles is a nice player, but still has a long way to go before sniffing the mlb. I can't see him being ready until mid 2018 at the earliest, more likely 2019.

Giolito scares me. I just get this feeling that he will bust. Although young for each level, he never really has dominated like he should, and his showing at the mlb level this season was pretty bad. I've read several reports that the Nationals rank Lopez above Giolito as a prospect.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 12:59 PM)
Typical White Sox fan response. He has 5 years of control, and was starting to come into his own last season. But ignore it. He was a horrible draft pick. Schwarbs was so much better. Even though he didn't play in 2016.

If you seriously have a problem with the White Sox drafting Carlos Rodon, you will probably be disappointed almost every draft. I doubt any team has actually drafted the guy that turned into the best player on the board when they drafted every pick. Rodon is solid. If he is capable of a $200 million contract you apparently like his talent.

I basically said none of this, but whatever keeps you happy, Dick.

This is finally where the White Sox can get some leverage. This is the first news I heard where the players offered are at least in the ball park of what it will take to get Sale. 2 Top 15 Prospects with others involved. I do think the Nats are the team that gets Sale.

Also, Mark Melancon just got the richest deal ever. Rumor is Janson could get upwards 80 million. Robertson's contact is looking like a major trade asset. Too bad he decided to have a down year. I can still see the Nats or Yankees have some serious interest.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 03:01 PM)

I'm saying if you're going off of their development trajectories since draft day, I suspect the order might switch.

If you look beyond his ERA (not just fWAR) Rodon took a big step forward this year.

Development trajectories? Wtf does that even mean? fWAR tells us Rodon has been the most valuable of the 3 thus far.

And if the Sox would have selected Schwarber or Turner, a lot of good they would have done the team too.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 02:23 PM)
Joel Sherman tweeted that neither Houston, Washington nor Boston are willing to give the Sox the "anchor player" the Sox are insisting on in a Sale trade.

If that's the case then f*** them all...you keep him.

Mark

Mark and others, If the Sox don't get an "anchor player" for Sale what could they get in return for Quintana? Any chance the Sox start throwing his name out there to see what he would get in return?

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 03:03 PM)
If you look beyond his ERA (not just fWAR) Rodon took a big step forward this year.

K/9 went up, BB/9 went way down, some bad batted ball luck along with incredibly poor framing numbers while he was pitching. Carlos is a stud, he is definitely coming into his own.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 03:05 PM)
It means Carlos has played the most in the MLB thus far, in this case.

Soooooo you'd probably have to say his development trajectory is ahead of the other 2 then. In your words, of course.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 03:06 PM)
Mark and others, If the Sox don't get an "anchor player" for Sale what could they get in return for Quintana? Any chance the Sox start throwing his name out there to see what he would get in return?

Supposedly the offers for Quintana aren't near the offers for Sale.

The moron Morosi actually said if the Sox traded Q or Eaton they wouldn't be blockbuster trades. If that is true, there is no reason to trade them.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 03:08 PM)

The moron Morosi actually said if the Sox traded Q or Eaton they wouldn't be blockbuster trades. If that is true, there is no reason to trade them.

Morosi knows nothing.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 02:50 PM)
Doesn't appear W. Sox are in Trade Q mode.

I think it is important that a Sale trade get done soon to get other deals moving. Eaton, Abreu, and Q could still be moved this week, but I think the FO is going to need to take it one deal at a time to avoid getting stuck in the middle of a bunch of negotiations without the ability to see any of them through. I think Robertson, Jones, Cabrera, and Frazier can be dealt later this winter or during the season and that would probably help maximize their value.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 03:08 PM)

Lol at 5-6 win players not being blockbusters. People are idiots.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 01:05 PM)
And if the Sox would have selected Schwarber or Turner, a lot of good they would have done the team too.

The point is a better measurement of who the White Sox would rather have at this point is what it appears these players will do moving forward, not what they've done in previous meaningless seasons.

Let me be absolutely clear:

I like Carlos; he was absolutely a good draft pick. He did take a nice step forward last year, and this despite poor pitch framing. I honestly expected more out of him last year though, to be frank.

If I had to do it over again, would I do it differently? Yes, I'd take Turner.

None of the foregoing means I don't like Carlos or that the choice was a bad one.