Legitimate chance of Sale trade to #Nationals per Rosenthal

DirtySox

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 03:09 PM)
Morosi knows nothing.

Honestly, I don't think Quintana is really on the block

Sox are curious to see what they can get for Sale before exploring other options

Honestly, if the offers do not get better than Giolito + Robles plus few more guys I say we keep him. I'm not willing to move a cost controlled ace for a less than stellar package

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 03:12 PM)
The point is a better measurement of who the White Sox would rather have at this point is what it appears these players will do moving forward, not what they've done in previous meaningless seasons.

Let me be absolutely clear:

I like Carlos; he was absolutely a good draft pick. He did take a nice step forward last year, and this despite poor pitch framing. I honestly expected more out of him last year though, to be frank.

If I had to do it over again, would I do it differently? Yes, I'd take Turner.

None of the foregoing means I don't like Carlos or that the choice was a bad one.

At the time it would have been very difficult to not select Rodon and watch the Cubs select him right after you.

He was the right pick at the time and still can prove to be a quality starter

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 01:14 PM)
At the time it would have been very difficult to not select Rodon and watch the Cubs select him right after you.

He was the right pick at the time and still can prove to be a quality starter

Absolutely.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 03:13 PM)
I keep seeing this.

He was actually Rosenthal's understudy.

He has many of the same sources.

Just listen to the guy talk. He's a clown. He may have a few sources, but he knows shockingly little about the game for a guy many baseball fans look to as an insider. Its also obvious that the other insiders don't quite respect him as much as others. Its quite obvious during certain segments he is involved with on MLBN.

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 03:15 PM)
Depending on what the other few pieces are the Nationals trade would be a haul. That's how you rebuild the farm system.

The much more part of Rosenthal's tweet has my mind scrambling of who else would be in the deal.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 03:18 PM)
The much more part of Rosenthal's tweet has my mind scrambling of who else would be in the deal.

My guess is Ross, Severino, plus one of the position player prospects in the top 10. Not sure I love the deal, but I don't hate it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 03:59 PM)
Typical White Sox fan response. He has 5 years of control, and was starting to come into his own last season. But ignore it. He was a horrible draft pick. Schwarbs was so much better. Even though he didn't play in 2016.

If you seriously have a problem with the White Sox drafting Carlos Rodon, you will probably be disappointed almost every draft. I doubt any team has actually drafted the guy that turned into the best player on the board when they drafted every pick. Rodon is solid. If he is capable of a $200 million contract you apparently like his talent.

Agree. How can you complain about a guy who struck out 165 guys (1 per inning) at his age? Especially when you take into account how he improved later in the year. He had some downright dominant performances.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 02:57 PM)
I'll give you a few guesses which of the 3 has accumulated the most fWAR since that draft.

Yeah because fWAR by age 23 is a great indicator of who will end up the best player. Especially with Turner and Schwarber being hitters and Carlos a pitcher that was rushed to the Bigs.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 03:23 PM)
I was thinking Lopez and Fedde and Severino.

Watch some video on Lopez. His mechanics are pretty sloppy. My guess is that Coop would say no to Lopez unless he sees an easy fix.

On a side note, per my review of Twitter, Mets fans have surpassed Cardinal fans as the most prolific purveyors giving up aging spare parts for in their prime major league players.

Who could say no to Jay Bruce and Granderson for Eaton and Robertson?

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 04:23 PM)
Guys I know it's poor form to talk about a high draft pick that made majors early and performed pretty well but I would totally take Turner over him knowing what we know now. But not sad about Rodon.

Fine to have that view. IMO, not fine to think Rodon is a disappointment or a bust like some other posters are implying.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 03:25 PM)
On a side note, per my review of Twitter, Mets fans have surpassed Cardinal fans as the most prolific purveyors giving up aging spare parts for in their prime major league players.

Who could say no to Jay Bruce and Granderson for Eaton and Robertson?

Yeah I feel bad for them though. Tough spot. They are gonna be crushed when it's Conforto who gets traded for a relief pitcher.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 03:20 PM)
My guess is Ross, Severino, plus one of the position player prospects in the top 10. Not sure I love the deal, but I don't hate it.

If Giolito were actually as elite of a prospect as his ranking then I highly doubt that he would be on the table in a trade. The fact that Giolito very much is on the table should be a big red flag about how the Nationals feel about him

Years from now I can see us looking back on this and laughing about how "untouchable" Trea Turner is for Chris Sale. Odds are that Giolito and Robles never make an impact at the mlb level...prospects bust all the time

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 03:12 PM)
Lol at 5-6 win players not being blockbusters. People are idiots.

I think teams are going to be reluctant to give up the farm for a RF with a sub 800 Ops despite the his WAR, especially when he doesn't have any truly stand out tools. In the same way, teams will be reluctant to give up the farm for Q because his stuff doesn't wow you, despite the consistent results

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 03:31 PM)
If Giolito were actually as elite of a prospect as his ranking then I highly doubt that he would be on the table in a trade. The fact that Giolito very much is on the table should be a big red flag about how the Nationals feel about him

Years from now I can see us looking back on this and laughing about how "untouchable" Trea Turner is for Chris Sale. Odds are that Giolito and Robles never make an impact at the mlb level...prospects bust all the time

Why do you feel this way? He was gonna go 1st overall if he didn't need TJS. He's currently ranked #3 prospect in the game. His stuff is filthy. He has risks sure. But if they're already holding back Turner, the Nats know they can't hold any of their true prospects back if they wanna be players for Sale.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 03:33 PM)
I think teams are going to be reluctant to give up the farm for a RF with a sub 800 Ops despite the his WAR, especially when he doesn't have any truly stand out tools. In the same way, teams will be reluctant to give up the farm for Q because his stuff doesn't wow you, despite the consistent results

Exactly. Sale is a name brand player. Q and Eaton are not. Regardless of how much we all now love WAR these days and want to use it as a value standard in trades, it doesn't always work like that in the real world.

Edited by Ro Da Don

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 01:33 PM)

Think this is spot-on.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 03:31 PM)

On draft day it's true that prospects are unlikely to make an impact at the MLB level, but prospects that play their way into a top ten ranking don't have nearly the same bust rate.

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 01:35 PM)
Exactly. Sale is a name brand player. Q and Eaton are not. Regardless of how much we all now love WAR these days and want to use it as a value standard in trades, it doesn't always work like that in the real world.

I think even Q makes Eaton seem like a relatively unknown "star."