Legitimate chance of Sale trade to #Nationals per Rosenthal

DirtySox

The best part of this thread is Kal and SSI just having a casual conversation amongst all the yelling.

Kona could come in, say "Hey, they just traded Sale to Houston, Quintana to Boston, Abreu to Colorado, Eaton to Washington and Jones, Jennings, Frazier and Melky are all on their way out" and none of us would notice.

QUOTE (Real @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 12:25 AM)
trading guys like Chris Sale who's paid peanuts for the next three years is also unprecedented.

way to look at only one side of the story though

So what is the closest thing to this trade? Off the top of my head it's Andrew Miller (top pitching prospect who is MLB ready) and Cameron Maybin (top hitting prospect with limited experience ) +parts for Miguel Cabrera. Obviously one of the worst trades in MLB history. I'm sure there's something better though.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 12:30 AM)
I would be so pumped as a Nats fan what a no brainer steal of a deal.

QUOTE (Real @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 12:35 AM)
For Sale, you basically need to make the team trading for him feel as if they still lost something. Yeah their prospects are ranked highly but those are still subjective rankings on PROSPECTS. Sale is already known to be: Elite, and Cheap

These two posts express my sentiment, without the cursing.

With prospects, there is still a clear and present danger of busting out, or of injuries stopping a career before it gets going. (Especially, given what we've seen in the Nats two prospects.) Thus, a premium would have to be paid in order to get the proven product.

That aside, if I were a Nats fan, I would be stoked about robbing the stupid white sox if the shoe were on the other foot.

I'll fully admit that perhaps I place a greater importance on a prospect's numbers than I should. But then, we've all seen top 10 prospects bust out; these rankings are subjective, and for that, I believe we can place too much faith in a prospect's rankng.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 12:41 AM)
If we truly rebuild you can expect Q to get traded. If we aren't yet competing in 2-3 years you can expect Rodon to be moved as well. How many guys are gonna get injured too? Bust? You need to be 7-10 pitching prospects deep.

I think the problem is many posters here were expecting some magical Sale trade that plugged all our holes and then we'd be ready to compete. Hell, some posters thought the return would be so great that we could actually get better after dealing Chris. The reality is we're going to have to move a lot more pieces than just Sale to clean up this mess. If we get pitching back in a deal so be it. The goal should be added as much high-end talent as possible and worrying about fit later.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 12:49 AM)
I think the problem is many posters here were expecting some magical Sale trade that plugged all our holes and then we'd be ready to compete. Hell, some posters thought the return would be so great that we could actually get better after dealing Chris. The reality is we're going to have to move a lot more pieces than just Sale to clean up this mess. If we get pitching back in a deal so be it. The goal should be added as much high-end talent as possible and worrying about fit later.

+1

Just like when you draft, you get the best talent you can and figure out the rest later with either trades or position switches. SP vs hitter is irrelevant at this point considering how barren our system is with pitching AND hitting.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 12:49 AM)

I think most people just want a badass young MLB player and some badass prospects as well. Seems pretty fair. Haven't seen anybody expecting the trade to plug all the holes.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 12:38 AM)
So because you prefer the OTHER pairing of top 2 prospects (which aren't even available to us), therefor Giolito and Robles are s***? I'm convinced you are going to hate to trade no matter what the outcome is, because you hate the Nats 2 best prospects.

I have a prejudice against subjective rankings of players, particularly those with even the slightest hint of failure in the low minors. I also have a prejudice against pre-injured pitchers. We've all seen top prospects fail, and we've all been deceived by "tools" in a prospect.

I'm also suspicious about why these guys are available, and I also don't believe that they represent enough of a premium to pay for proven performance in a player with ~$150MM+ in surplus value.

All taken together, I don't like this trade being centered around these two.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 12:46 AM)
So what is the closest thing to this trade? Off the top of my head it's Andrew Miller (top pitching prospect who is MLB ready) and Cameron Maybin (top hitting prospect with limited experience ) +parts for Miguel Cabrera. Obviously one of the worst trades in MLB history. I'm sure there's something better though.

That'a probably the best example to be honest. Miller & Maybin were both top 10 prospects. Cabrera was a 24 year old, 5+ WAR player at the time. He probably had less control than Sale, but pretty similar value in the grand scheme of things.

QUOTE (Two-Gun Pete @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:53 AM)
I have a prejudice against subjective rankings of players, particularly those with even the slightest hint of failure in the low minors. I also have a prejudice against pre-injured pitchers. We've all seen top prospects fail, and we've all been deceived by "tools" in a prospect.

I'm also suspicious about why these guys are available, and I also don't believe that they represent enough of a premium to pay for proven performance in a player with ~$150MM+ in surplus value.

All taken together, I don't like this trade being centered around these two.

By this logic, you should be suspicious of anybody we acquire. They're available because Sale is really good and they want to win now at the expense of the future.

Sounds like the hotel bar kicked the GMs out.

Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale 7m7 minutes ago

The #Whitesox did not come close to trading Chris Sale tonight but acknowledge the #Nats were very aggressive in proposals

I'm pretty sure at some point during the last two months I suggested a deal centering around Giolato and Robles could become a reality. That said, I think the package I suggested at the time rounded out like this thou:

Giolato

Robles

Lopez

Feede

Stevenson

I think anyone here would be stoked with that. :lol:

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:11 AM)
I'm pretty sure at some point during the last two months I suggested a deal centering around Giolato and Robles could become a reality. That said, I think the package I suggested at the time rounded out like this thou:

Giolato

Robles

Lopez

Feede

Stevenson

I think anyone here would be stoked with that. :lol:

I will take Lucas Gelato

QUOTE (Blackout Friday @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 12:58 AM)
By this logic, you should be suspicious of anybody we acquire. They're available because Sale is really good and they want to win now at the expense of the future.

The problem with saying that is there are similarly "ranked" prospects who are supposedly "untouchable" from teams who need elite pitching more than Washington.

I would still lean towards a package with De Leon and Bellinger as the headliners. i don't know if that is possible at this point but they seem closer to the big leagues. I get the feeling the Dodgers wanted to have Puig be part of the centerpiece of the deal. I still think they have an interest in Sale. Not many times you could put together the two top lefties in the game.

QUOTE (kwill @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 02:01 AM)
I would still lean towards a package with De Leon and Bellinger as the headliners. i don't know if that is possible at this point but they seem closer to the big leagues. I get the feeling the Dodgers wanted to have Puig be part of the centerpiece of the deal. I still think they have an interest in Sale. Not many times you could put together the two top lefties in the game.

I think you can still get De Leon, Bellinger, Calhoun, and Buehler for Q and Frazier if the Dodgers decide to save their money by not signing Turner. Obviously the Rich Hill signing makes Q less needed for them, but who knows, they love to hoard major league talent.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 03:06 PM)
Mark and others, If the Sox don't get an "anchor player" for Sale what could they get in return for Quintana? Any chance the Sox start throwing his name out there to see what he would get in return?

Great thought. In other words, if the Sox are only getting pitching prospects (and some with damaged arms) and a bucket of balls for Sale, then keep him and make some other trades, including possibly Quintana, Frazier, Abreu, Roberton and Eaton.

So, yes, there has to be an anchor position player if they trade Sale, or he stays for the time being.

My opinion is that Dombrowski will have the last dibbs on Sale and may have told that to Hahn. Washington is spinning their wheels if they think they can get Sale and Cutch without giving up Turner and Robles.

I am intrigued by a possible 3 team deal with Pittsburgh the Nats and the Sox where the Nats get Sale and Cutch, the White Sox get Turner plus prospects and Pittsburgh gets prospects from both teams. Sox can sweeten the package to Pittsburgh with Carlos Sanchez and Courtney Hawkins. LOL! (Sorry, I'm going bat sheet crazy with all the speculation..)

I just want an anchor player back for Sale, i.e., ...Turner, Bregman or Benintendi plus a prospect or two.

We may know something on Tuesday....or not. Can't take the suspense much longer.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 12:40 AM)
In spite of the current state of the rumor mill, I'd love to see Anderson, Turner, and Eaton batting one after another in some order. Would be an amount of speed in a lineup you don't see often, especially in Chicago

What is Robles projected ETA in the big leagues?

QUOTE (Blackout Friday @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 02:58 AM)
DD mentioned getting an 8th inning guy is a top priority and that they need to watch payroll to stay under the tax threshold. He is known to covet power arms. Add Nate Jones to Sale and you could probably get a massive haul. I'm thinking Moncada, Devers, Kopech, plus others

Adding Jones to get the Red Sox bidding could make the Nats bite on Turner.

Those are the two teams Hahn needs to get contending with each other.