Legitimate chance of Sale trade to #Nationals per Rosenthal

DirtySox

QUOTE (mataipaepae @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 10:38 AM)
Yeah but Basabe comes in very similar to Robles. And you add Moncada who probably ends up at 3rd. And Kooech with a big arm.

Based on what? Numbers and scouting disagree. Everything about Robles is ahead of Basabe.

QUOTE (mataipaepae @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 10:48 AM)
Similar does not mean equal to. Obviously Robles is better. But they are similar still.

I mean, they both play center field and are young. I like Basabe, but to read about Robles is to talk about a pure baseball player who is dynamic on base paths, gets on base in anyway he can and is intelligent with two strikes.

QUOTE (mataipaepae @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 10:50 AM)
Really?

Robles grades as a 60 hit tool, where Basabe currently grades as a 45 hit tool...which is a big difference

A 60 hit grade is certainly plus, a 45 grade is fringe average

Robles has a significantly higher ceiling due to the plus hiot tool and lower strikeout rates. His speed is also a 70 grade, which is elite

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 10:53 AM)
I mean, they both play center field and are young. I like Basabe, but to read about Robles is to talk about a pure baseball player who is dynamic on base paths, gets on base in anyway he can and is intelligent with two strikes.

No doubt Robles is the better prospect. But getting Basabe as a third piece is very nice. He has a very similar game to Robles, just not as polished. But comes with better power right now. And plays centerfield. And is only 20.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 10:56 AM)
Robles grades as a 60 hit tool, where Basabe currently grades as a 45 hit tool...which is a big difference

A 60 hit grade is certainly plus, a 45 grade is fringe average

Robles has a significantly higher ceiling due to the plus hiot tool and lower strikeout rates. His speed is also a 70 grade, which is elite

Yeah I get that. I was being a smart ass. You guys are reading way too much into what I said. Similar does not mean equal too.

In the World According to Me ... if the Sox are going to give up the rarity of a true ace who is also incredibly cost-efficient for three full years ... the return from the team getting such a prize needs to be special.

Perhaps special might mean a special position player (talent + contract), for example Turner, Benintendi, Bregman, or Swanson (that's my preferred order), plus some reasonable sweetener because Sale's track record warrants it.

Or, if the Sox decide that by abstaining from focusing on that "one special guy" they benefit by a quantity (plus more speculative quality) focused transaction, then the focus NEEDS to be on positional talent. That's where things are lacking; that's been the achilles heel. If we go that route, something like Moncada, Devers, Basabe would be the template -- 3-4 positional advanced top prospects who project as better than average major league starters (knowing that 1-2 might never achieve that level).

I agree the Sox haven't done a lot to warrant our faith in their trading and/or talent evaluation abilities, but I have guarded confidence that they understand better than any of us that Sale is a once in a decade type of trading chip (if not even more valuable than that) and they aren't going to trade him unless they feel VERY GOOD about the return.

QUOTE (South Sider @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 11:16 AM)
Mark Zuckerman ‏@MarkZuckerman 6m6 minutes ago

Sense here this morning is #WhiteSox are comfortable dragging out Sale talks, want to see if any other clubs can top #Nats offer.

Yup.

Good.

QUOTE (South Sider @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 11:16 AM)
Mark Zuckerman ‏@MarkZuckerman 6m6 minutes ago

Sense here this morning is #WhiteSox are comfortable dragging out Sale talks, want to see if any other clubs can top #Nats offer.

Yup.

As they should but they still have to be careful that teams do not just move on because they have a larger scope to think about here.

QUOTE (Username @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 11:19 AM)
I'm higher on the Nats package than most, but this is good to hear. Makes me think there's still a legitimate chance someone jumps in, since sitting on your hands makes little sense otherwise. Though this does smell like posturing to an extent.

Could also be Nats sense Sox may be shopping it and want sox to refocus.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 11:21 AM)
If that guy from the Red Sox forum is right about Moncada/Kopech/Basabe, I think I'd still do the Nats deal with Giolito/Robles +

If Red Sox kick in Devers+ then I'd be all for it.

Or do that for Q.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 10:54 AM)
https://twitter.com/MarkZuckerman/status/806116929975058432

@MarkZuckerman #Nats have made their offer, now waiting for #WhiteSox to take it or leave it.

Didn't see this in here.

Have a feeling the Sox are gonna leave it. The Sox are asking for Turner and the Nats aren't budging.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 11:30 AM)
Rumors of the Nats trading Gio to the Yankees. Maybe Rizzo needs the prospects to complete the Sale trade.

Wouldn't it be funny if they dealt Gio and we screwed them back for the supposive Edwin Jackson/Adam Dunn deal?