Legitimate chance of Sale trade to #Nationals per Rosenthal

DirtySox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 09:10 PM)
Hahn should tell the Red Sox & Astros the door closes by midnight. Don't give them or the Nationals time to consider other alternatives. Pressure Boston or Houston to top Washington in the next few hours or I say accept this Giolito/Robles offer.

Nah, pressure is on Nats to close not Sox. If turner was available it would be different.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 09:06 PM)
Just not a fan of Giolito. Oh well, clear the big name guys are unavailable

I'm not sure how Giolito is not a big name. He was ranked higher as a prospect than all of the guys people are saying are a must in a deal.

And Robles is another good year away from being a top five prospect. It seems like this is exactly the type of package people have been asking for all along.

QUOTE (shakes @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 03:20 AM)
I'm not sure how Giolito is not a big name. He was ranked higher as a prospect than all of the guys people are saying are a must in a deal.

And Robles is another good year away from being a top five prospect. It seems like this is exactly the type of package people have been asking for all along.

Wanted a sure thing offensive player. Package isn't bad though compared to what Braves would give

Rabbit alluded to this on twitter but what I most regret about it veering away from Red Sox were the devers/kopech/Rodriguez pieces that made it a strong deal up and down. Excited about severino/ etc but much less so.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 09:06 PM)
Just not a fan of Giolito. Oh well, clear the big name guys are unavailable

Giolito has been considered one of the premier arms in minors for a few years. It seems like there's a prospect fatigue with him, that's affecting what everyone here is thinking.

His upside is unreal.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 03:23 AM)
Rabbit alluded to this on twitter but what I most regret about it veering away from Red Sox were the devers/kopech/Rodriguez pieces that made it a strong deal up and down. Excited about severino/ etc but much less so.

Yep was hoping for ERod

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 09:12 PM)
Absurd. They're already settling by not getting one of the big name players. There is no need to rush this.

This mindset is ridiculous. Giolito was ranked higher than Turner, Bregman, & Benintendi by Baseball America in their mid-season update. Only difference is he's a pitcher and he struggled in his first major league opportunity. And honestly, that's the only reason he's even available. Had he performed as well as those other guys in his cup of coffee he would not be available either. And why Urias is a big name player, but Giolito is not? What am I missing here? And Robles is as good of a second piece as you're going to get. This proposed Nationals offer is far from settling if there are another few quality pieces in the deal. The idea we have to get Bregman or Benintendi or the trade is a epic fail is f***ing stupid.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 09:24 PM)
I'll just go with the notion that there are no sure things in these types of trades. I wanted near ready position players, so the Sox didn't have to develop them.

That's totally reasonable, those supplements will bet top 75 and much less sure things

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 09:23 PM)

Severino really isn't a good prospect. Better than what we have, sure, but not exciting

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 09:23 PM)

The Nationals have a lot of those same types of pieces. They don't get as much hype as they aren't in the Boston media market, but as I outlined a few pages ago, they can load up a deal with the best of them. The one spot they don't have as much of is ready made position players, but they are loaded with them at the lower levels of the minors, all of the way through to some big time guys signed out of Latin America.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 10:26 PM)
That's totally reasonable, those supplements will bet top 75 and much less sure things

I'm trying to be reasonable and rational. Also not freaking out because it's likely a leak to up the other offers and it's playing out that way. Although, this does have legs but I think they're trying to get Boston to bite or Houston. I think Boston is the team they want to say "F-it" and relinquish the deal the White Sox want. Just my take on it.

I bang the position player drum because the Sox can find the pitching. They found Q, Sale when others passed. Q obviously for other reasons, but Sale slid to the Sox and they trusted their staff and medical team. I think they can find pitching anywhere, so I want as many position players as possible. Particularly, the ones that aren't very far away.