Teams don't expect Sale trade at winter meetings

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 04:56 PM)
Jayson Stark ‏@jaysonst 26s27 seconds ago Jayson Stark Retweeted Daryl Van Schouwen

Surveyed several teams that are in on Sale this afternoon. They don't expect him to get moved at the meetings. The price hasn't dropped.

Nor will the price drop

If a team wants Sale they know what it is going to take

Elite Aces do not grow on trees

QUOTE (Username @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 04:58 PM)
This process is so painful. I get sticking to your guns but an empty Winter Meetings would be absolutely deflating as a fan.

It will be deflating no matter what happens. It's terrible when your favorite team has to trade one of the best players you will ever witness in their uniform because the organization is so bad top to bottom.

If we don't trade Sale hen I am fine with it. We are taring to see prospects from our own system devel;op. You build around pitching-that is still the name of the game IMO. We get what we demnd for a player of Sale's ability or we don't trade. PERIOD END OF STORY

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 05:05 PM)
If we don't trade Sale hen I am fine with it. We are taring to see prospects from our own system devel;op. You build around pitching-that is still the name of the game IMO. We get what we demnd for a player of Sale's ability or we don't trade. PERIOD END OF STORY

I'd be fine with it too. As someone else noted:

Some Team: Hey we want to trade for Sale.

Sox: Ok, it'll take Prospect A, C, D, G

Some Team: I don't want to trade Prospect A. There's a chance he might be as impactful as Chris Sale, even though he's proven almost nothing at the major league level.

Sox: Ok, *click*

I understand the Dodgers not dealing Urias if the Sox want other top guys in addition to him. I don't understand a trade with Houston where they don't move Bregmann. We're not asking for Carlos Correa there, though Sale should be able to fetch somone of his caliber (Sale is legit Top 3 pitcher in baseball and probably the 2nd best lefty given performance and longevity and contract).

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 05:09 PM)
We'll see about that.

I'll buy the book IF he makes a deal.

In the meantime, the Sox should be selling a bunch of other guys.

Meh. If you can't get what you want for Sale, may as well try to win while you got him. I am not suggesting we go out and sign EE and Wieters, but Wellington Castillo and Carlos Gomez would work if we can't get a marquee return for Sale.

That said, would be curious to hear Hahn's interview today. Will have to wait until I get home as I can't get on twitter at work.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 05:05 PM)

If teams aren't willing to give up "untouchable" prospects, we can likely get similar packages at the trade deadline or next winter. No need to rush.

If we can't get fair value for Sale, I just hope there are enough free agents left to coble something together for another shot at it in 2017.

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 03:00 PM)
The Art of Negotiation, a novel by Rick Hahn

He's been writing it since 2014. The guys been showing the league that he doesn't fold and says what he does. The price for Sale hasn't dropped for years now. Teams who want him have to know by now that Hahn isn't bluffing.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 05:13 PM)
Meh. If you can't get what you want for Sale, may as well try to win while you got him. I am not suggesting we go out and sign EE and Wieters, but Wellington Castillo and Carlos Gomez would work if we can't get a marquee return for Sale.

That said, would be curious to hear Hahn's interview today. Will have to wait until I get home as I can't get on twitter at work.

True.

But then again, if they can't trade Sale now, with the FA market so devoid of pitching, when are they going to be able to trade him? At some point, Hahn needs to do his job and actually produce.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 05:22 PM)
True.

But then again, if they can't trade Sale now, with the FA market so devoid of pitching, when are they going to be able to trade him? At some point, Hahn needs to do his job and actually produce.

Trade him in a year or two when you can actually get somebody to handover fair value. I do not support a Sale trade just to move on.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 05:09 PM)
We'll see about that.

I'll buy the book IF he makes a deal.

In the meantime, the Sox should be selling a bunch of other guys.

Agreed. I'll be extremely disappointed if the Sox leave the Winter Meetings having done nothing significant.