Teams don't expect Sale trade at winter meetings

southsider2k5

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 06:13 PM)
Meh. If you can't get what you want for Sale, may as well try to win while you got him. I am not suggesting we go out and sign EE and Wieters, but Wellington Castillo and Carlos Gomez would work if we can't get a marquee return for Sale.

That said, would be curious to hear Hahn's interview today. Will have to wait until I get home as I can't get on twitter at work.

I literally can't think of a worse scenario than not trading Sale and trying to plug holes with 1/2 assed free agents again. That's like signing up for a painful 77 win season while also devaluing Sale's contract. The longer he is under contract and healthy the higher his value is.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 06:40 PM)
Trade him in a year or two when you can actually get somebody to handover fair value. I do not support a Sale trade just to move on.

I agree but the longer you wait the more likely his value drops. A year from now he has lost a year of value to the team trading for him. Also next year should have more options for free agent pitching. But maybe Hahn makes other trades, gets prospects and builds them around Sale. I have said many times that Hahn has a value he wants back for Sale and it appears no other teams agree with that value. See what takers there are for Q and Abreu. Hopefully trading them to different teams bring back 5-6 prospects.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 05:44 PM)
I literally can't think of a worse scenario than not trading Sale and trying to plug holes with 1/2 assed free agents again. That's like signing up for a painful 77 win season while also devaluing Sale's contract. The longer he is under contract and healthy the higher his value is.

Meh, not if you can't get full value. If teams are only willing to give up so much, you can probably get that same type package next winter.

I'm not convinced we're ther yet and I do think someone will blink, but keeping Sale isn't a worst case scenario for me if none of the offers are to Hahns liking.

Seeing what other teams have received for a half or full year of a top pitcher in recent years, I'm not convinced we'll be getting a fair "multiple" of that by trading Sale now with three years of cheap control. There seem to be some diminishing returns with the extra length. We could still net plenty at the trade deadline or next winter.

That assumes he stays healthy of course, but you can say that for anyone.

Edited by bighurt574

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 05:44 PM)

It sounds like they aren't doing that. They will trade off anyone they get a good offer for at any time going forward and patch the holes with short term fixes. Someone like Frazier, Eaton, or Jones could be traded at the winter meetings but Sale could potentially be here another year if the asking price isn't met.

Don't see how teams are going to get pitchers with how things are going I highly doubt TB is going to sell low on Archer with that many years left on his deal.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 07:24 PM)
It sounds like they aren't doing that. They will trade off anyone they get a good offer for at any time going forward and patch the holes with short term fixes. Someone like Frazier, Eaton, or Jones could be traded at the winter meetings but Sale could potentially be here another year if the asking price isn't met.

Don't see how teams are going to get pitchers with how things are going I highly doubt TB is going to sell low on Archer with that many years left on his deal.

I think Archer goes but Longoria stays. I know some writers have said Archer could get more than Sale. I think he will bring a little less but will get dealt.

QUOTE (Donaldo @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 08:17 PM)
Chris Sale's trade value will never be any higher than it is right now. With his mechanics, I'm amazed that he's made it this far without suffering a major injury.

Buy low, SELL HIGH!

This type of comment always makes me laugh.

Guys come up with supposed perfect mechanics, end up with rotator cuff surgery or tommy john surgery within a few years. Guys come up with wacky mechanics, never get hurt. I don't think anyone has a clue what mechanics lead to more injuries versus less.

QUOTE (Blackout Friday @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 07:32 PM)
With word of the Mets on the lookout for two late inning relievers, I can't help but wonder what we could get for Robertson and Jones. Rosario is probably a stretch, but maybe Dunn?

Just a thought.

Conforto

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 07:38 PM)
No. Probably can get Conforto + for Jones. Mets have really soured on him.

This is just false. They're trying to move Granderson/Bruce to be able to give Conforto a spot. They've been saying on MLBN recently how much the Mets love Conforto and believe he has a bright future with them.

QUOTE (Blackout Friday @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 08:32 PM)
With word of the Mets on the lookout for two late inning relievers, I can't help but wonder what we could get for Robertson and Jones. Rosario is probably a stretch, but maybe Dunn?

Just a thought.

Cechhini & Dunn.

Don't see Rosario being touchable for a reliever.

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 08:39 PM)
This was from Rosenthal.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 04:56 PM)
Jayson Stark ‏@jaysonst 26s27 seconds ago Jayson Stark Retweeted Daryl Van Schouwen

Surveyed several teams that are in on Sale this afternoon. They don't expect him to get moved at the meetings. The price hasn't dropped.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Dec 5, 2016 -> 06:05 PM)
Seeing what other teams have received for a half or full year of a top pitcher in recent years, I'm not convinced we'll be getting a fair "multiple" of that by trading Sale now with three years of cheap control. There seem to be some diminishing returns with the extra length. We could still net plenty at the trade deadline or next winter.

That assumes he stays healthy of course, but you can say that for anyone.

My God, please tell me after last midseason when everyone excusing the lack of trade activity said, "wait until the offseason when more teams will be available"......that we're not AGAIN holding off for the next trade deadline/winter.

Listen, Sale's trade value is more important to this team's future than his value to the White Sox. What do we need him for, the anchor a 77 win team?

I look at it like this: I'd rather trade Sale for perhaps one player less than what we negotiated (assuming there's atleast three others we receiving), than keeping him hoping the market materializes for us, or knock on wood Sale is injured. Losing Sale's trade value is a far worse fate for this team than receiving less than the moon in return.

Edited by Flash Tizzle