Sox/Rockies talking Abreu or Frazier

Jose Abreu

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 08:26 PM)
I can't see Frazier being a fit for the Rockies at all. You're overspending on a guy who can play 3b in order to move him to 1b and then let him walk as a free agent?

I can come up with probably 10 teams Frazier is a better fit for. The point of Abreu is that he's on your team for 3/$45 ish and you can even cut that to 2/$28 ish if he gets hurt so his contract is nice and insured. That makes a ton more sense for the Rockies, as with several other teams.

I've felt for a while that he's a perfect fit for Cleveland. Lots of talent in their org, opening at 1b, would prefer the cost controlled guy compared to the big splash, no draft pick to give up as with EE. But you'd have to trade in the division.

Which would actually help the Sox in their quest for a high draft pick. Nothing wrong with it in this case imo.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sox need hitters.

Abreu is their best hitter.

Why trade him?

But, the Rockettes will absolutely salivate at the thought of Abreu. First Base is their biggest weakness (along with bullpen). They might overpay. They think they can win in 2017.

Rodgers and Dahl are studs. Gotta get one of them.

Murphy is very good catching prospect, better than anything Sox have had in years. Plus, Rox have another outstanding catching prospect, so one of them is expendable.

Hoffman has been a disappointment. Maybe it's Coors Field syndrome.

Tapia is overrated by you guys. McMahon is, too. Stay away.

Rox have a couple of lower level position prospects who are Very interesting.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 07:28 PM)
To be fair, Frazier has played plenty of 1B, especially in Cincy

Yeah, but only having 1b open for him reduces his value in my eyes...unless your team is clearly 1 player away and weak at that spot. I'd like to say I can't imagine Colorado thinking that but then I'd have to write a Kenny Williams joke.

Hell, he makes sense in Cleveland for that reason too. My favorite hidden destination for Frazier is KC - they have a 1 year ticking clock, they just lost their DH, and their 1b and 3b both had down/injury riddled years last year so you could literally rotate the 3 in and out of those positions.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 07:31 PM)
Sox need hitters.

Abreu is their best hitter.

Why trade him?

But, the Rockettes will absolutely salivate at the thought of Abreu. First Base is their biggest weakness (along with bullpen). They might overpay. They think they can win in 2017.

Rodgers and Dahl are studs. Gotta get one of them.

Murphy is very good catching prospect, better than anything Sox have had in years. Plus, Rox have another outstanding catching prospect, so one of them is expendable.

Hoffman has been a disappointment. Maybe it's Coors Field syndrome.

Tapia is overrated by you guys. McMahon is, too. Stay away.

Rox have a couple of lower level position prospects who are Very interesting.

Because he's turning 30 (at best) this winter, has declined two years in a row, and probably won't be a part of the next Sox playoff team. He doesn't have a lot of value but he likely has more now than next offseason or at the deadline after another slow 1st half.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 06:33 PM)
Because he's turning 30 (at best) this winter, has declined two years in a row, and probably won't be a part of the next Sox playoff team. He doesn't have a lot of value but he likely has more now than next offseason or at the deadline after another slow 1st half.

You need a good return for Abreu. He can be non tendered if he flops or gets hurt. His AAV is a steal. He is vastly undervalued around here.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 07:36 PM)
You need a good return for Abreu. He can be non tendered if he flops or gets hurt. His AAV is a steal. He is vastly undervalued around here.

True, but the flip side is that if he performs, arb is going to be friendly to him. I don't think he's undervalued or over valued I think he's properly valued by most. He's a solid starter on a decent contract the return should probably be a B+ prospect and a lotto ticket.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 07:33 PM)

I totally agreed with this but as of today there's one more exception we have to add - Abreu could be a solid guy to have around Moncada.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 06:45 PM)
True, but the flip side is that if he performs, arb is going to be friendly to him. I don't think he's undervalued or over valued I think he's properly valued by most. He's a solid starter on a decent contract the return should probably be a B+ prospect and a lotto ticket.

If you consider B+ a top 25 guy I agree. Otherwise I want a top 50, someone in back end or just outside top 100, and a lottery ticket Coop likes.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 07:46 PM)
If you consider B+ a top 25 guy I agree. Otherwise I want a top 50, someone in back end or just outside top 100, and a lottery ticket Coop likes.

That would have been a fair ask...if his 2016 had matched his 2015. Since you can say right now that he appears to be trending down, you have all sorts of other questions that knock that ask a bit down. 50-80 with someone 80-120 would make more sense to me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 06:50 PM)
That would have been a fair ask...if his 2016 had matched his 2015. Since you can say right now that he appears to be trending down, you have all sorts of other questions that knock that ask a bit down. 50-80 with someone 80-120 would make more sense to me.

Depending on who they are I'd be fine with something like that.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 08:42 AM)
Especially if it is true that both Chapman and Jansen could be close to making decisions.

Yeah, good point. There's potential for Q, Abreu, Frazier and Robertson to be gone if the rumors circulating are true. I don't expect all of them to be dealt today but it's crazy to think about.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 08:53 AM)
Yeah, good point. There's potential for Q, Abreu, Frazier and Robertson to be gone if the rumors circulating are true. I don't expect all of them to be dealt today but it's crazy to think about.

Have to think the Angels are interested in Lawrie for 2B as well. Cliff Pennington is at the top of their depth chart.