Red Sox acquire Chris Sale, White Sox get Moncada+

Southwest Sider

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 11:55 AM)
Ugh. Although I suppose Sox could turn around and trade JBJ and Q to Nats for an absolute haul.

If the centerpiece to trading Sale is JBJ my continuing fandom will receive it's ultimate test. Theo got Addison Russell for Shark for gods sakes!

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 11:57 AM)
Yeah, I doubt that Boston will trade Benintendi after the way that he played down the stretch.

I'd be happy with Bradley, Moncada, Kopech, Devers, and a lesser minor-league outfielder for Sale and Melky. That would address CF and 3B through 2020.

Is Melky Cabrera or Jones really going to get Moncada or Benintendi added?

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 11:56 AM)
True. I hadn't thought of it this way. But if the Sox "love" JBJ why would they go and flip him?

Because best case scenario Sox are good again in 2019 and JBJ has 2 years left at that point.

To me, getting JBJ means the Sox will still try to patch together a decent team in 17/18, which I guess deep down I am OK with. I know most here arent, however.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 11:57 AM)
Can anyone live with a deal that gets you Devers and Kopech but no headliner other than BradleyJr.?

Who would the 4th/5th piece have to be in that scenario? Groome, Basabe, Swihart, Rodriguez, Owens, etc.?

Yeah, I could easily. Especially if JBJ would be flipped (my preference). Devers/Kopech = Giolito/Robles, IMO

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 11:57 AM)
Can anyone live with a deal that gets you Devers and Kopech but no headliner other than BradleyJr.?

Who would the 4th/5th piece have to be in that scenario? Groome, Basabe, Swihart, Rodriguez, Owens, etc.?

I rather have Moncada than JBJ. Moncada excites me more than any other potential piece we can get back. Robles is a close second if we are talking about leaving out Turner, Swanson, Etc.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 12:57 PM)
Is there any way of getting JBJ and Moncada as part of a package or is that too much?

Maybe JBJ, Moncada, Swihart, and low A filler or two?

I don't think you can get both but if you I'd be shocked if there were any other pieces of value in that deal.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 11:59 AM)
Because best case scenario Sox are good again in 2019 and JBJ has 2 years left at that point.

To me, getting JBJ means the Sox will still try to patch together a decent team in 17/18, which I guess deep down I am OK with. I know most here arent, however.

Hahn has said he knows we could be terrible for a few years if we rebuild and that's part of the price for a bright future. I'm not convinced they won't try to "win" next year until the team is torn down, however.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 12:57 PM)
Yeah, I doubt that Boston will trade Benintendi after the way that he played down the stretch.

I'd be happy with Bradley, Moncada, Kopech, Devers, and a lesser minor-league outfielder for Sale and Melky. That would address CF and 3B through 2020.

Why on earth would Boston do that?

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 12:00 PM)
I don't think you can get both but if you I'd be shocked if there were any other pieces of value in that deal.

So if you got JBJ, Moncada, and Swihart is that fair value for Sale? We also have the luxury of adding Abreu, or Jones, or Robertson to get some other pieces back (Devers, Kopech, Groome, Rodriquez).

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 12:01 PM)
Hahn has said he knows we could be terrible for a few years if we rebuild and that's part of the price for a bright future. I'm not convinced they won't try to "win" next year until the team is torn down, however.

Then JBJ makes no sense as the headliner.

<!--quoteo(post=3455276:date=Dec 6, 2016 -> 12:02 PM:name=iamshack)-->

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 12:02 PM)
<!--quotec-->Soon Garfein will tweet that his source says no such battle has ensued.

Nightengale is our source.

EDIT: I HATE THAT DAMN SCRIPT SOURCE

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 12:02 PM)
So if you got JBJ, Moncada, and Swihart is that fair value for Sale? We also have the luxury of adding Abreu, or Jones, or Robertson to get some other pieces back (Devers, Kopech, Groome, Rodriquez).

I'd be very, very, very lukewarm to that package. Moncada is exciting, but I almost like Giolito, Robles ++ more than that. Idunno...

I think sox are smarter than getting JBJ unless they have something else up their sleeve (flipping him to Nats).

Going back to the Shelby Miller deal as a template (except for a real ace in Sale), JBJ could certainly fill Inciarte role, with Moncada filling the Swanson role. So it may not be crazy to get both. Maybe you net one more top 100 prospect (e.g., the Aaron Blair role), but probably not much more than that.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 12:05 PM)
Going back to the Shelby Miller deal as a template (except for a real ace in Sale), JBJ could certainly fill Inciarte role, with Moncada filling the Swanson role. So it may not be crazy to get both. Maybe you net one more top 100 prospect (e.g., the Aaron Blair role), but probably not much more than that.

To be fair, everyone has said Sox are looking at Shelby Miller trade ++ as template.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 12:02 PM)
:huh:

Kopech and Giolito have very similar stuff. One could argue Kopech has the slightly better stuff. And without the TJS to boot. Devers and Robles are at a similar place development-wise. Both below AA. Obviously Robles gets the defensive nod, but I'm of the opinion that Devers is going to flat out hit in the Majors.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 11:59 AM)

This is exactly what I was thinking. It won't be a burn it to the ground rebuild and I don't think Q gets traded.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 12:59 PM)
Is Melky Cabrera or Jones really going to get Moncada or Benintendi added?

If the Red Sox trade JBJ, they're going to need a corner OF after Betts moves back to CF. Since they're in "win now" mode, I think that Melky would help move that deal along. I don't think that Dombrowski wants to move Benintendi, so he's going to have to give up Moncada as part of a deal for Sale. If he doesn't, I'd do a deal with the Nats instead.

I love how there's a Boston rumor and everyone here just starts thrwoing Moncada's name in without seeing/hearing it anywhere. If JBJ is the centerpiece then that's means we struck out on Benentendi/Moncada and settled for JBJ in my opinion.

So I think we are looking at JBJ, Devers+ or Giolito, Robles,+....

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 12:05 PM)

I think I'd be okay with this. I wouldn't discount the fact the Sox just traded away a first basemen, it's said they want a lefty but a sale and Abreu for JBJ, Moncada, Swihart, and a pick of Rodoriquez/Devers/Kopech/Groome would be a great way to jump start a rebuild.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 12:03 PM)
I'd be very, very, very lukewarm to that package. Moncada is exciting, but I almost like Giolito, Robles ++ more than that. Idunno...

I think sox are smarter than getting JBJ unless they have something else up their sleeve (flipping him to Nats).

I'd hope so, but it kind of makes me think if Boston is only in the deal because we've lowered the demand. Any trade that you have to say, "well maybe they will flip player x to insert team" makes it a bad one. All trades should be judged on their own merit

Edited by Flash Tizzle