Red Sox acquire Chris Sale, White Sox get Moncada+

Southwest Sider

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 10:40 AM)
I am much more interested to check in the progress of 4-5 "kids" every day than see if Avi made any errors and how many times Frazier struck out.

And as much as I enjoyed watching Chris pitch, I also didn't get too excited to watch Chris dominate only to get a no decision or take the loss because we can't score runs.

I'd rather watch us develop and lose than be "mired in mediocrity."

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:41 PM)
Kopech to me profiles as a reliever, albeit one with considerable upsiude

Basabe striking out at a 28% rate in single A scares me

Diaz is a reliever at best

Moncada as a centerpiece is great, but I really thought the package would be deeper

You and most people here were wildly unrealistic the entire time. You're disappointed off of a made up value you yourself assigned, rather then the reality of the situation. There wasn't a better offer out there. Based on the fact that we took this deal tells me that it really was just Robles and Giolito + 1 prospect not named Lopez/Fedde/or Ross. Don't think the Dodgers were ever really involved and we didn't seem very interested in Houston if Bregman wasn't involved.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 12:41 PM)
Love Moncada (not the K's), not sure if the others are enough. Kopech is a bigger hot head then Sale, Basbae is a strikeout king as well, and the other is a filler that might end up being a reliever

Yeah, Goff just said that some guy he knows in Boston told him he broke his hand in a fight with a roommate several years ago. Gotta reign that in...

As for Diaz, he may not be a big name, but I'm on board with any pitcher the Sox have identified that they want. They have earned that, in my opinion.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 12:45 PM)
And as much as I enjoyed watching Chris pitch, I also didn't get too excited to watch Chris dominate only to get a no decision or take the loss because we can't score runs.

I'd rather watch us develop and lose than be "mired in mediocrity."

I just want so badly to be excited about a young position player.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:41 PM)
Love Moncada (not the K's), not sure if the others are enough. Kopech is a bigger hot head then Sale, Basbae is a strikeout king as well, and the other is a filler that might end up being a reliever

True but maybe that means he has a "closer" mentality. We need Melky to take him aside at spring training since I always have a concern about suspensions

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 12:40 PM)
I am much more interested to check in the progress of 4-5 "kids" every day than see if Avi made any errors and how many times Frazier struck out.

Except there is a pretty solid chance that none of these kids are White Sox this year, at least until mid-season or so. So you will see be watching Avi Garcia play daily.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 12:45 PM)
6. Luis Alexander Basabe, OF

DOB: 08/26/1996

Height/Weight: 6’0” 160 lbs.

Bats/Throws: S/R

Drafted/Acquired: Signed August 2012 out of Venezuela for $450,000

2015 Stats: .243/.340/.401, 7 HR, 15 SB in 256 PA at short-season Lowell

Future Tools: 60 speed, 60 glove, 55 arm, 50+ power

Role: 50+—Solid-average regular in center field

So, this is aggressive. Again. Basabe’s numbers weren’t terribly impressive, but the tools he showed (at times) sure as hell were. He’s got plus bat speed from both sides of the plate, and while there’s more present power from his natural right side, there’s enough strength to project above-average power from both sides of the plate. He’s shown the willingness to take a walk, but more than that, he’s able to work counts into his favor. While this puts him in a position to maximize his hit tool, the length in his swing pairs with those deep counts to result in plenty of strikeouts. He’s a plus runner who gets good jumps when attempting steals, so this could be a 30-plus stolen base player.

Basabe is far more advanced defensively, and you could argue this is the best outfield glove in the system, even over the solid Benintendi. He’s not quite as efficient with his routes, but he’s more athletic and has a stronger arm. It’s strong enough that he could handle right field without any issues whatsoever.

There’s lots of work to be done, but if everything goes right he’ll be another Boston player who you’d love to hit near the top of the lineup. It’s really not fair, is it?

Bret Sayre’s Fantasy take: Somewhere, Wilson Karaman is maniacally laughing. Basabe is intriguing as an upside play and a potential power/speed outfielder in the mold of what some of us (cough, cough) thought Jake Marisnick might be on his way to becoming. He’s too raw to throw numbers on right now, but he’s a risk worth taking if you’re short-season diving.

Major League ETA: 2019

Basabe looks pretty good to me!

Low ball Toolsy position player that doesn't quite have the numbers to back up the hype? I bet he totally makes it with the Sox.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 12:48 PM)
Except there is a pretty solid chance that none of these kids are White Sox this year, at least until mid-season or so. So you will see be watching Avi Garcia play daily.

At least we know something special is coming. That's enough for me.