Red Sox acquire Chris Sale, White Sox get Moncada+

Southwest Sider

Yeah I'm disappointed. Benintendi is way more interesting than Moncada, who strikes out at a horrific rate and whose MiLB OPS was about 75 points lower than Adam Eaton. Kopech is years away, Basabe strikes out a ton and hit .258 in the low minors, and this sucks so much I'm not even bothering to look up Diaz. Screw this front office. I have been a Sox fan since 1993, when I was 6. And this is bulls***.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 12:48 PM)
Would've rather taken Moncada/Devers/Groome over Moncada/Kopech/Basabe/Diaz

Don't think we got enough but this FO was hell bent on trading him for some reason.

I would have rather taken Moncada/Benintendi/Devers, doesn't mean it was on the table.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:45 PM)
And as much as I enjoyed watching Chris pitch, I also didn't get too excited to watch Chris dominate only to get a no decision or take the loss because we can't score runs.

I'd rather watch us develop and lose than be "mired in mediocrity."

I was at the Sox/Mariners game in August when Sale struck out 14 and the Sox still lost. I don't want any more of that.

Not going back to reread all of this but I wanted to post earlier when Washington was the hot name.

This deal, while on the surface is less than we thought, is far better in my eyes than Washington. Your most important asset acquired is a near mlb-ready hitter, not another arm that would be heavily compared to Sale. You got a high upside guy for the lower end prospect (Basabe), which is essentially what you were doing by taking a risk on Robles (who is undoubtedly better and further along in his development - but upside to me is there for both).

With Washington, the biggest benefit the Sox had was they could sell this to the fanbase from a PR standpoint "two top 10 prospects for Sale." They just would've been the wrong prospects for what this team needed and I don't agree with the notion that their lower level guys are nearly as talented as Bostons (even if we don't know who they would've been including). My feeling is Basabe is probably borderline top 5 for Washington, maybe a little lower. So if he is a "lesser" guy in this deal, that is a nice addition and he exceeds what likely was rounding out the Wash deal.

Overall, I'm happy we got an elite and rounded prospect to go with the rest. Go get a couple more without the added depth of trades and you could be onto something.

Let's see where Devers, Robles and Basabe are three years from now.

White Sox BA Top Ten just added three top five or six guys now.

With Moncada, Collins and Basabe...three guys who could be real impact hitters. Then Kopech, Burdi, Fulmer and Hansen are all at least intriguing. At the bery least, we're stockpiling the best future bullpen in the game.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 12:39 PM)
Every baseball exec on the planet undervalues him according to your scale. Any chance your scale isnt calibrated correctly?

Or Hahn can't negotiate for a player of Sales caliber. big market team with small market employees.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 12:52 PM)
Let's see where Devers, Robles and Basabe are three years from now.

White Sox BA Top Ten just added three top five or six guys now.

With Moncada, Collins and Basabe...three guys who could be real impact hitters. Then Kopech, Burdi, Fulmer and Hansen are all at least intriguing. At the bery least, we're stockpiling the best future bullpen in the game.

Our system moved up 5 ranks today, easily. We should have a top 5 system at the start of the season if we play our hand right.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 11:51 AM)
FWIW I like Moncada more than Bregman and Turner and way more than Benintendi

Turner hit .342 in significant big league action. Moncada was sixty points shy of that in the minors. I know BA is kinda lame, buy isn't that just too stark to ignore?

Edited by StrykerSox

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 12:52 PM)
No, I won't be. My Sox baseball consumption will be very low in 2017. I'll still peak in and take a look at what is going on, but I'm not watching much of the product in 2017.

Is that unfortunate? Absolutely. BUT I also live in a realistic world and understand my two options were:

- A very mediocre team that we have been watching for the last 10 years (73-82 wins a year) filled with veterans.

- A true rebuilding team that will be BAD for 2-3 years, but with a purpose behind it.

After what we have seen the last decade, PLEASE give me the latter.

+1. I'll just play more golf, find something else to watch, I barely watched any games this season. They've tried the other way, it didnt work.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 12:51 PM)
FWIW I like Moncada more than Bregman and Turner and way more than Benintendi

Agreed man. Moncada can be a future Star of the league. I know he's a prospect but between his back story and his 5-tools and unreal athleticism he can really help jump start the excitement on the South Side. Really interested in what other trades are to come, whether we are looking for a few year rebuild or we continue to get guys who need a half or full year more of polishing in the minors and we gear up for the largely talented 2018 FA class along with some of these core guys we have (Anderson, Eaton, Moncada, Rodon, Fulmer, etc) and other guys we pick up in future trades.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35