Red Sox acquire Chris Sale, White Sox get Moncada+

Southwest Sider

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 04:15 PM)
Don't they just have to press a few buttons to make trades happen?

I can say in OOTP 16 under standard trade settings this deal never would have gone down. The AI in '16 is crazy in love with prospects. They probably would have accepted that package minus Moncada!

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 04:15 PM)
My understanding is that he was hobbled by a leg injury early last season. If that's true, it would explain why he was still getting on base but couldn't hit with power early on, and then began tearing the cover off the ball in August.

So I don't think that there's a skills loss yet, but I agree that he may become more of an injury risk over time. (I'm also skeptical of his age, as players who come out of Cuba are sometimes older than what their documentation indicates.) And that's why I'd want to see him play a full, healthy season next year and put up 2015 numbers before extending him through 2020 or 2021.

I recall reading that Jose opted into arbitration recently. Is that true? If so, does that mean that he's out of his current contract and year-to-year now?

Yes, Jose has opted out of his contract and will have an arbitration/1 year deal each of the next 3 seasons, unless a contract extension is reached.

If his issue was injury last year, then he hit the DL his first season with us, had some days that he missed with injury and some days at DH with LaRoche playing 1b in 2015, and then had injuries sour a full 1/2 season in 2016. That kind of trend would not augur well for a recovery in 2017.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 03:15 PM)
My understanding is they already paid him about 20 million of the 31 million dollar bonus. The other 31 million was tax, which the White Sox won't be paying. So in essence they got 11 million thrown into the deal. Not quite as good as 31 million but not bad either.

Also I doubt it was even discussed as much of a factor in trade. That was what it cost to acquire him initially, not his salary. that they spread it out is purely a financial decision on their end. No reason sox should have paid.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 04:17 PM)
Yes, Jose has opted out of his contract and will have an arbitration/1 year deal each of the next 3 seasons, unless a contract extension is reached.

If his issue was injury last year, then he hit the DL his first season with us, had some days that he missed with injury and some days at DH with LaRoche playing 1b in 2015, and then had injuries sour a full 1/2 season in 2016. That kind of trend would not augur well for a recovery in 2017.

Yep. 2017 will be a critical year for Jose, which makes me wonder why he opted out of a contract that was north of $10M/year. If he's hurt for half of the year again, he's going to have a tough time negotiating that salary during arbitration and may even get DFA'd if his production really slides.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 03:23 PM)
I have a soft spot in my heart for Jose, since he was the first MLB player I've ever interviewed.

With Moncada in the fold, I'd like to see him stay.

I have no idea what his market is, but considering Encarnacion is about to get signed by the freaking indians for maybe less than 4/80, i'm gonna guess its not good.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:23 PM)
I have a soft spot in my heart for Jose, since he was the first MLB player I've ever interviewed.

I'd be surprised if Jose isn't moved at this trade deadline. Rebuilds value and gives him time to help bring Moncada under his wing.

I have no idea what his market is, but considering Encarnacion is about to get signed by the freaking indians for maybe less than 4/80, i'm gonna guess its not good.

[/quote

I would think the opposite. Jose would be less money for three years and then we would see what the FA market bears out. I am only looking at trade value today

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 03:29 PM)
QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 09:25 PM)

I would think the opposite. Jose would be less money for three years and then we would see what the FA market bears out. I am only looking at trade value today

I don't think you understand why I posted that. Encarnacion is the most consistent and superior slugger on market. It also features Trumbo, Chris Carter Napoli and more. And EE is having trouble finding a deal he was already offered and rejected.

They aren't as expensive on the market as teams thought, and so you aren't getting that much value with Abreu, who also isn't as good as EE.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 04:23 PM)

Jose is my favorite White Sox player. Has been for awhile now. With that said, you have to move him now. Teams should be desperate now to give you a very good package.

I think we could have gotten more for Sale but the return was decent. Moncada alone is not going to change the competiveness of this team in '17 so I would have to say that we must jump in fully with the obvious rebuilding. The decision has been made so let's go

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 05:36 PM)
Jose is my favorite White Sox player. Has been for awhile now. With that said, you have to move him now. Teams should be desperate now to give you a very good package.

For Jose? Coming off a 2.8 bWAR year and two straight declines? I don't know if teams are lining up for that. He's also into arb now so there's not much surplus value in his contract. I'd be thrilled to get back a single top 100 prospect and a lotto ticket for him.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 09:33 PM)

I don't think you understand why I posted that. Encarnacion is the most consistent and superior slugger on market. It also features Trumbo, Chris Carter Napoli and more. And EE is having trouble finding a deal he was already offered and rejected.

They aren't as expensive on the market as teams thought, and so you aren't getting that much value with Abreu, who also isn't as good as EE.

I wondered where you were going with that and I see your point now. I am just not sure I agree. I think Abreu is a good alternative to Encarnacion for team looking for hitters