Red Sox acquire Chris Sale, White Sox get Moncada+

Southwest Sider

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 12:43 PM)
The article I read said they questioned many ex teammates about him, and the response was all positive.

If there were negative responses, do really think the Red Sox would have reported it?

"The consensus on this guy in the clubhouse was 50-50, but f*** it, we want to win." If only front offices were that honest.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 12:57 PM)
If there were negative responses, do really think the Red Sox would have reported it?

"The consensus on this guy in the clubhouse was 50-50, but f*** it, we want to win." If only front offices were that honest.

They added Yoan Moncada to their offer. I think that's a pretty good sign the response wasn't he's a clubhouse cancer.

QUOTE (HoosierSox @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:06 PM)
Does Moncadas September call up start his service even if he doesn't get called up this year until midseason? Not sure how that works.

Yes September service time counts. Moncada currently has 31 days service time. 172 days service time is considered one full year. A player needs 6 full years before they become a free agent. If the Sox keep him down in the minors long enough to prevent him from achieving 172 days service time before the end of 2017 they will get 7 years out of him instead of 6. There are roughly 183 days (though a player is only allowed to accumulate 172 days of service time per season) in the MLB season. To prevent him from achieving 172 days service time they will have to keep him down about 6 weeks. He will probably end up being a "Super 2" player but all that means is that he will get paid through arbitration for 4 years instead of 3, it doesn't affect how long the Sox have him for.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:21 PM)
Yes September service time counts. Moncada currently has 31 days service time. 172 days service time is considered one full year. A player needs 6 full years before they become a free agent. If the Sox keep him down in the minors long enough to prevent him from achieving 172 days service time before the end of 2017 they will get 7 years out of him instead of 6. There are roughly 183 days (though a player is only allowed to accumulate 172 days of service time per season) in the MLB season. To prevent him from achieving 172 days service time they will have to keep him down about 6 weeks. He will probably end up being a "Super 2" player but all that means is that he will get paid through arbitration for 4 years instead of 3, it doesn't affect how long the Sox have him for.

He is still obviously eligible for ROY when we call him up right? We can have our own Kris Bryant; Minor League player of the year, Rookie of the year, MVP and World Series champion.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:54 PM)
Ouch. Shots fired. But well deserved.

There are no shots fired. He's just praising their organization.

If anyone thinks he is taking shots at the White Sox, you might want to actually read the article

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/for-chr...is-bittersweet/

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:25 PM)
He is still obviously eligible for ROY when we call him up right? We can have our own Kris Bryant; Minor League player of the year, Rookie of the year, MVP and World Series champion.

Yes he will be eligible. Players lose rookie eligibility after 130 at bats, 50 innings pitched or 45 on the active roster before September.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:00 PM)
They added Yoan Moncada to their offer. I think that's a pretty good sign the response wasn't he's a clubhouse cancer.

And the Cubs added Gleybar Torres to their Yankees deal because interviews told them that Chapman was a boy scout not because they wanted to win the World Series at all costs.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 02:31 PM)
And the Cubs added Gleybar Torres to their Yankees deal because interviews told them that Chapman was a boy scout not because they wanted to win the World Series at all costs.

I have no idea what that has to do wih it, but OK. Chris Sale is the biggest asshole in baseball. Now you can be happy.

I'm curious what the general impression is here from those who closely follow the Sox minor league system, regarding if they got enough for Sale (Rabbitt for example) I saw this in the Tribune today and it made me wonder:

"Red Sox President Dave Dombrowski said Tuesday that when Hahn asked last weekend if he still had interest in Sale, he told Hahn it depended on the price.

"Well, we're going to get away from some of the things we have asked for in the past," Hahn told Dombrowski."

Let the discussion begin (and if I'm late to the party on this topic I've been on the road the last week with games against Utah State, Colorado and Wisconsin. (Whom ISU actually beat last night at the Kohl Center)

Mark

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 05:01 PM)
I'm curious what the general impression is here from those who closely follow the Sox minor league system, regarding if they got enough for Sale (Rabbitt for example) I saw this in the Tribune today and it made me wonder:

"Red Sox President Dave Dombrowski said Tuesday that when Hahn asked last weekend if he still had interest in Sale, he told Hahn it depended on the price.

"Well, we're going to get away from some of the things we have asked for in the past," Hahn told Dombrowski."

Let the discussion begin (and if I'm late to the party on this topic I've been on the road the last week with games against Utah State, Colorado and Wisconsin. (Whom ISU actually beat last night at the Kohl Center)

Mark

It has been mentioned that in July, Sox asked for one of their acutal 25man roster players, Mookie Bets, Bradley Jr, Benitendi.