Red Sox acquire Chris Sale, White Sox get Moncada+

Southwest Sider

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:22 PM)
Robert Murray reported a little while ago they are trying to trade David Robertson and have checked in on the free agent reliever market.

Definitely should be looking at adding relievers we could potentially flip in July or next off-season (no Jansen or Chapman though).

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:22 PM)
I thought they weren't offering players off the major league roster; hence, the wait until the offseason when those kinds of players could be available, but whatever. We have Moncada now, so hopefully a new and exciting era begins with him in the fold for years to come!

They story then was that they didn't want to offer MLB players, Moncada or Benitendi.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:23 PM)
In FanGraph's trade value series last summer, they had Sale at #15 with 17.1 projected WAR from 2017-19 and Moncada at #26 with 15.6 projected WAR from 2017-21.

From their write-up on Moncada:

The best prospect in baseball, the market has already put a high value on Moncada once, back when he came with more uncertainty and was even further from the big leagues. 15 months after signing Moncada for $31.5 million, plus paying another $31.5 million in penalties because of the deal, Moncada looks to be worth well more than what Boston paid, and is generally considered to be the best prospect in baseball at this point. Overflowing with upside, Moncada looks like a potential franchise player with both speed and power, and while he doesn’t offer the present value that most of the rest of the players on this list do, people in the game think he could be a regular as early as next year, and be a star not too long after that. Given his upside, it’s very unlikely the Red Sox trade him; if they do, they’re going to have to get back a pretty great player, because Moncada’s now the kind of prospect that doesn’t get traded very often.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2016-trade-value-21-to-30/

Can someone explain to me how this will effect the Sox. I assume it hindered the package a little if Boston eats that 31.5 penalty. Which is understandable, it was a question I had during the process.

If the Sox don't have to absorb it, then I'm ok with it. But I don't know with certainty how that plays into these deals w/international guys. Never paid attention to the monetary aspect.

Thanks

QUOTE (HeGone7 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:27 PM)
Can someone explain to me how this will effect the Sox. I assume it hindered the package a little if Boston eats that 31.5 penalty. Which is understandable, it was a question I had during the process.

If the Sox don't have to absorb it, then I'm ok with it. But I don't know with certainty how that plays into these deals w/international guys. Never paid attention to the monetary aspect.

Thanks

The penalty is paid in the signing year, while the bonus itself could be spread out over three years.

QUOTE (HeGone7 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:27 PM)

Thanks

Al of that money is spent and gone, White Sox are not liable for any of it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:23 PM)
IMO, Q is a HUGE prize for someone. He's worth a lot.

My assumption is he is somehow worth "less" than Sale on the market (even though he really shouldn't be due to the extra control, cheaper contract and durability), so I figured package him + Eaton to Nats for everything they were going to give up for Sale + much more.

Edited by Jenksy Cat