Red Sox acquire Chris Sale, White Sox get Moncada+

Southwest Sider

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:37 PM)
This is from the Red Sox forum:

Most feel that they underpaid for this deal (does not happen with normal Red Sox meatheads)

They are also skeptical if Moncada will ever figure out how to hit the breaking pitches, strikeout numbers is a concern.

Yeah if Moncada is not as advertised we lose this deal big. I had a feeling the front office would blink first and they did. They declare Moncada an untouchable due to his "ranking" when he was the guy they wanted to move all along between Devers and Benintendi.

Why does this front office insist on taking guys who failed in their first ML action? They made the same mistake with Davidson.

Edited by soxforlife05

This one actually hurts more for Boston, the total cost for Sale might be much higher than the $40 M surface value.

Boston Sports Info ‏@bostonsportsinf 1h1 hour ago

Remember..remember to add the $63 million it cost Sox to sign Yoan to the assets to get Chris Sale

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:31 PM)
Pretty sure the bulk of that is sunk costs for Boston at this point, certainly the signing bonus and penalty.

It's sort of funny, to date, Boston has probably paid more for Moncada than we have for Sale.

Assuming bonus & penalties, the Red Sox have put about 3X as much money into Moncada ($63m) as the White Sox in Sale ($20m)

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:40 PM)
Yeah if Moncada is not as advertised we lose this deal big. I had a feeling the front office would blink first and they did. They declare Moncada an untouchable due to his "ranking" when he was the guy they wanted to move all along between Devers and Benintendi.

Why does this front office insist on taking guys who failed in their first ML action? They made the same mistake with Davidson.

I'm surprised there isn't a lot more of this on the board today. Proud of most of soxtalk.com for being more level headed than this.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:42 PM)
Sure he will play in 2018. They just called up Benintendi directly from AA and he did fine. Devers will start 2017 in AA. Might even be a September callup if he has a great year.

Oh he'll be a callup. I dont think he's full time starting though until 2019.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 02:39 PM)
Well, that's what you can do with a farm system with the #1, #5, #16, #30, and #67 prospects in baseball, per MLB.com.

I believe all those guys except #30 (Groome) pre-dated his tenure.

I hope it works out for the Sox(White) but I think when Sale is the target you acquired without touching your ML roster, you did a fantastic job. Especially when you had a top notch playoff team to start.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:32 PM)
Dombrowski probably just wrapped up Executive of the Year Award. He gets a sure fire Cy Young candidate and doesn't give up one guy from his major league roster.

Boston had the farm system to pull the deal off.

the more I think about it, the more I like the Boston deal more than the Nationals deal

Moncada has legit superstar upside

Kopech is a rising prospect who scouts have raved about. I've read comparisons to Noah Syndergaard and some scouts believe he has front of the rotation stuff with a plus plus fastball, fringe plus slider and a developing average changeup.

I am liking the Basabe pickup the more I read into him. He's a young player that has intriguing tools for his age. He need to improve his hit tool, but that's not impossible for a 20 year old player. Although an extremely small sample size, he did do well during 5 games at high A ball hitting .364. If he manages to develop an average hit tool the rest of his skills could carry him to the major leagues

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:41 PM)
This one actually hurts more for Boston, the total cost for Sale might be much higher than the $40 M surface value.

Remember..remember to add the $63 million it cost Sox to sign Yoan to the assets to get Chris Sale

It's a sunk cost, but I suppose if you roll that investment into Sale, Boston is basically paying Sale $30-35 million a year for 3 years (about $20 million/year on top of his current salary).

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 02:42 PM)
Sure he will play in 2018. They just called up Benintendi directly from AA and he did fine. Devers will start 2017 in AA. Might even be a September callup if he has a great year.

What did the new CBA do to the "Service time" rules? Is it the same setup as the last one where waiting 2 weeks into April buys you another year with a player? They had to have edited that right, the players hated that.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:42 PM)
The deal obviously largely comes down to whether Moncada pans out.

Even if he's a 3-4 WAR player under team control for 6 years (not crazy at a premium position like 2B or 3B), that's a decent baseline.

That's a big target for a guy who has trouble with contact and does not have a strong glove. He needs to improve his contact as next step for his development, I'm not overly optimistic Sox farm or ML staff have a track record of doing that.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 02:40 PM)

Chris Sale AL ranks since 2012 (min 100 GS)

ERA - 1st

WHIP - 1st

CG - 1st

SO - 1st

OPS against - 1st

alrighty then

Exactly. Why Hahn let any team tell him any player was off limits surprises me. Hahn should have been the one dictating terms not the other way around. And that goes for any team.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 02:46 PM)
Exactly. Why Hahn let any team tell him any player was off limits surprises me. Hahn should have been the one dictating terms not the other way around. And that goes for any team.

I'm pretty sure that the return on this deal says that no player was off limits.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:43 PM)
I'm surprised there isn't a lot more of this on the board today. Proud of most of soxtalk.com for being more level headed than this.

If I was a Boston fan I'd be happy with this deal. It would suck to lose Moncada but he's far from proven and you're getting a bonafide ace who dominated the AL. Sure fire all star and probable Cy Young winner. The rest of the prospects are too far away from the majors to be overly concerned about. They have potential but are total wild cards.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:41 PM)

That's doesn't exactly help us. Hell, it probably hurt us.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:40 PM)

Chris Sale AL ranks since 2012 (min 100 GS)

ERA - 1st

WHIP - 1st

CG - 1st

SO - 1st

OPS against - 1st

alrighty then

That looks great until you look at Sale's September splits. Cooper had to ask Sale to not throw as hard this past season just so that he wouldn't put up a 1.4 WHIP again down the stretch. One has to wonder how much of an asset Sale is going to be in October, and that's one of the reasons why I'm fine with dealing him.