Red Sox acquire Chris Sale, White Sox get Moncada+

Southwest Sider

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 02:23 PM)
Depends how you define "disappoint". He could be disappointing but still be a solid player for multiple years. That's his upside. If it's Garcia-type upside and Moncada winds up sucking, everyone is fired.

Even then Kopech may be better than Sale. A big maybe though.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 02:18 PM)
In this day and age, it is more than reasonable to think a pitcher is going to get hurt. So many of them do.

Kopech is just as likely to blow out his arm as Sale is. I have not seen any proof or correlation of innings pitched to injuries. Not even worth discussing unless there is new evidence or research brought forward.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 02:11 PM)
It might never catch up with him. The guy's a freak of nature. I don't think injury risk was that high on the minds of teams that were willing to give up half their farm system for him. He's never had any issues with his arm, especially not as of late. He had some dead arm periods/starts when he first converted to a starter, but that was it.

The dead arm issues really never stopped, which is why Coop had him pitching to contact more often than before this past season. This is probably the bigger issue going forward than a potential arm injury due to his mechanics. I'm sure that Dombrowski is aware of this, and it's likely the reason why Hahn didn't get more of Boston's Top 10 prospects in the deal.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 02:21 PM)
Top three prospects in baseball since MLB Pipeline showed up:

2011: Mike Trout, Bryce Harper, Matt Moore

2012: Jurickson Profar, Dylan Bundy, Wil Myers

2013: Byron Buxton, Oscar Taveras, Miguel Sano

2014: Byron Buxton, Carlos Correa, Kris Bryant

2015: Byron Buxton, Corey Seager, Lucas Giolito

We should just forget about 2012.

And also, the #2 prospects are actually better than the #1s lol

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 12:32 PM)
In a rebuilding situation, I would love to see him start in AAA until he passes the mark that would give us an extra year of control. Literally there is no good reason for him to be on the opening day roster.

Yep getting 7th year of control makes sense I agree.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 02:24 PM)
Kopech is just as likely to blow out his arm as Sale is. I have not seen any proof or correlation of innings pitched to injuries. Not even worth discussing unless there is new evidence or research brought forward.

Maybe, remember Coop and Herm?

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 01:59 PM)
He wasn't overused. Sale and Quintana have thrown roughly the same number of innings over the past few seasons, yet Sale is the one who's been mediocre in September and has had to alter his pitching style to keep his arm fresh.

It's not debatable. Sale was second in the league in pitches per start behind Verlander, has throw over 110 pitches 16 times! (that's half of his starts) this season, to only 7 starts for Q.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 02:33 PM)
I'm not worrying about pitching at all for the future. It's almost always there for us. Now we could have a rotation of:

Rodon

Fulmer

Kopech

Hansen

Stephens

Plus they will likely take another good pitcher in a first or second round in the next couple of drafts.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 02:24 PM)
The dead arm issues really never stopped, which is why Coop had him pitching to contact more often than before this past season. This is probably the bigger issue going forward than a potential arm injury due to his mechanics. I'm sure that Dombrowski is aware of this, and it's likely the reason why Hahn didn't get more of Boston's Top 10 prospects in the deal.

Funny how everyone starts going on and on about how Sale's arm is going to fall off the second he gets traded.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 08:03 PM)
Apparently our targets were Betts and Benintendi + in July, that's why no deal.

Buster Olney @Buster_ESPN

White Sox get a big haul from BOS -- and it's a step down for what they asked for in July, which included Betts and Benintendi.

LOL. A step down from what they asked for in July. Typical White Sox. Usually get less than what they could have gotten. Not judging the trade. I really don't care. The Sox are in the "prove something" stage with me. They've sucked for so long, I'll just wait and see now.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 02:33 PM)
I'm not worrying about pitching at all for the future. It's almost always there for us. Now we could have a rotation of:

Rodon

Fulmer

Kopech

Hansen

Stephens

Keep Quintana in there until he's traded.

Also, man, lefties, where you at?

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 02:35 PM)
Funny how everyone starts going on and on about how Sale's arm is going to fall off the second he gets traded.

Now you are just being bitter. Sale's health has always been a topic of concern, especially when he would get his annual dead arm phase, his extra days off, and this year with the complete change in his pitching style to dial it back so that he could maybe stay healthy.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 02:24 PM)

We now have a lot less money in Kopech.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 02:36 PM)
LOL. A step down from what they asked for in July. Typical White Sox. Usually get less than what they could have gotten. Not judging the trade. I really don't care. The Sox are in the "prove something" stage with me. They've sucked for so long, I'll just wait and see now.

What else could the Sox have gotten?

To be completely honest, I always envisioned the Sox getting a bigger package in return if they ever traded Sale. I guess it was unrealistic. Moncada is fantastic, it's just that this feels a little top heavy. I thought there would be more depth. That doesn't make this a bad trade, just not the "blow your socks off" kind.

Edited by Buehrlesque